13 replies to this topic

#1 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:27 PM

Hey all. Basically im doing A level Resistant Materials/ Product design. This is just bascially technology, from all aspects with design too.

It has come time to design and manufacture our final piece and the theme is "Lighting". Now this gives me a very wide spectrum to do something with. I have decided to include seating with this too.

Now my original idea was to use a fibreglass flipfront, mount a chair in the middle and have working headlights etc (Im sure you've seen these before- usually something like the back end of a caddilac)

I moved away from this idea as I saw other things that inspired me. I have come up with a new idea. I want to see what you guys think of it....

My idea is: 2 A series gearboxes, stripped, and cleaned then put back togther and polish all the running gear up inside. On top of these would sit a hardened sheet of glass that would be strong enough to sit on. These would sit on 2 chrome rails connecting the gear boxes. Then, I would use some short "neon" lights inside the open gear box to light it up.

Its hard to explain, but I think it could look really cool. Ill draw a quick sketch to show you what I mean.

Tell me what you think. Cheers.

#2 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:36 PM

Quick sketch up of my idea so you can get what Im on about!

Attached Files

#3 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:36 PM

that sounds really good!

I've an idea of one day to get hold of a Rover V8 block, polish the whole block (alloy so will polish up lovely) - mount a piece of glass on the top and have some soft lights of different colours shining up through each of the bores - sort of self lit coffee table!

(and similar to what Clarkson did with the Porsche engine he broke).

But yours sounds great, I'd love to see it when it was done!

#4 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:43 PM

Ohhh, that sounds cool dudey!

Yeah, that was well funny when Clarkson got all those points because he sold it for like £1500!!

I chose the gearbox idea because I thought all the gears could be polished up really well! Can they? Or are they dull?

Cheers for feedback :grin:

#5 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:46 PM

hmmm - the layshaft is quite dull, whether it would polish up I'm not sure. The mainshaft gears are also dull, but the synchro gears/selector rings (not sure whether they're the right names!) and oil pick up pipe, not to mention the inside of the casing could be polished up quite nicely - and they're not likely to be too dirty anyway, oil is good at keeping things clean!

#6 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:51 PM

Ace.

I was thinking about getting all the components and box chucked in an acid bath or whatever they use at my local engine place.

Then I could polish up the inside stuff and paint the outside of the casing something quite a retro color, as retro is my theme im following.

Just wondering, how much are 2 gearboxes going to set me back :sad:

#7 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:53 PM

not a right lot - if you find 2 knackered ones you could probably get them for nowt - or see if Guessworks has any spare? You may find some where the casings have been irrevocably damaged due to spun bearings or similar - they'd be good as it wouldn't be noticeable on something like what you're doing.

#8 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:56 PM

Cool :grin:

I'll have a whizz round, see if I can find any surplus to requirements, or nackered.

Dont suppose anyones knows a round figure for the height/width/length of a gearbox?

#9 YoungUn

YoungUn

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Local Club: F.A.B.M.O.C

Posted 24 November 2005 - 03:43 PM

see if you can get a slow electrical motor to make the gears move... so your sitting on gear that are moving... they would make pretty moving shaddows and light affects too if no one is sitting on the seat ( if you understand what i mean )

#10 minipixie

minipixie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Local Club: Lincoln TMF and Notts TMF

Posted 24 November 2005 - 03:45 PM

see if you can get a slow electrical motor to make the gears move... so your sitting on gear that are moving... they would make pretty moving shaddows and light affects too if no one is sitting on the seat ( if you understand what i mean )

that would be ace!!!!

#11 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:07 PM

Hmm maybe.

Dont want to go too far in too soon.

Would a motor be powerful enough to turn the gears at a slow speed?

#12 YoungUn

YoungUn

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Local Club: F.A.B.M.O.C

Posted 25 November 2005 - 01:05 AM

u can get all different types of electrical motor. because they dont need that much torque,if theres no road resistance.

are you going to consider all the little bits of design too like rubber feet on the bottom of the gearboxes and chamferin the edge of the glass.

because the chamfer on the edge could (is the corect word refract or defract or something) the light in different directions and slowing down the speed of the rays of light making a spectrum of light in the surroundings, giving a real nice funky hipnotic colour scheme

...maybe

#13 chairchild

chairchild

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:23 AM

Instead of neons/etc, look into getting slow-change multi colour LEDS
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem
Small enough to be hidden UNDER the gears, and look brilliant (my pc mouse has one inside it, and I love it!)

Also, consider raising the gearboxes up a fair bit, because they're only about 10" tall max, so would be more of a footrest than a bench!

One idea would be to use stainless legs to raise it (fixed on between the gearboxes to make it look nicer) and put a single piston on the end of each one, to tie it back into the "engine" theme. OR you could even use a couple of knackered cranks? Phone Morspeed to see if he could save a couple that are would be of use to you, as you may be able to get them for free!

#14 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 12:29 PM

Cheers for that mate.

And yeah, I was planning on lifting the boxes up abit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users