#1 joshrush

joshrush

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N M.C.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:45 PM

hi all, im way of actually getting insured (im 15) but before i invest in a mini and start to make it my own, i was just wondering what id get insured for, and wether say having a 1275 engine (i want a 1275 GT so much!) in it would be to much money insurance wise? just basically would i get insured if i modified the whole mini, or would i have to keep it stock with a 998? (plus could i get away with a stage 1 kit if i did get a 998) any replies and help would be much apreciated.

#2 CooperMad93

CooperMad93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:33 AM

hi all, im way of actually getting insured (im 15) but before i invest in a mini and start to make it my own, i was just wondering what id get insured for, and wether say having a 1275 engine (i want a 1275 GT so much!) in it would be to much money insurance wise? just basically would i get insured if i modified the whole mini, or would i have to keep it stock with a 998? (plus could i get away with a stage 1 kit if i did get a 998) any replies and help would be much apreciated.

Hi, Being 17 insurance is a pain in the back although i have found the Mini to be one of the cheapest cars to insure. It cost £2700 to insure me on my 1.2 polo. £2000 for a 998cc mini in an honest fashion (no fronting or any of that marlarkay) however when I had my mini I hardly used it (due to being constantly repaired) so I took out a policy which allowed me to drive it monthly (cost around £140 a time) which was very useful as i only managed to drive it in the summer months. I then got quoted £2300 on a 1275 mini sprite, so not a huge increase on insurance from a 998 to a 1275, bearing in mind these are totally standard. (just for the record i did manage to get away with a stage 1 kit on my 998cc) obviously if you modify the price will go up significantly. as for a 1275 gt, i wouldnt even go there yet. anything with a badge on the end is promoting performance and thus insurance goes up yet again and to be honest you will still have a lot of fun with a 998! Hope this helped!
*update* and just so ya know my insurance came down a heck of a lot with a years no claim, saved £700 so down to £1300!

Edited by CooperMad93, 30 December 2010 - 04:36 AM.

#3 Mini Adam

Mini Adam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:08 AM

I'm 17 with a 998cc all standard. I insured my mini last night for £630 fully comp on my own policy :lol:

#4 mikey72

mikey72

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:49 AM

If you want a prediction for two years time, stock 998 would be the way to go.
The price for mainstream insurance has doubled over the past two years, it doesn't look like changing, so even then small is good. Mods aren't liked, so stock all the way through. Prices change daily as well.
Classic insurers like FootmanJames are ok price wise as in £700 to £1000 for a classic mini.
They are one of the few that insure 17 year olds this year.
They don't like mods, but are ok if the "mod" is a standard mini part, say different trim, different engine, different wheels, so long as they were fitted to a mini at some time in production. Anything will cost. So a 1275 would be ok, but will be dearer than a 998 as it's a bigger engine.
Best place to get a quote is the BMC show at Bingley Hall in January, as they're usually valid for 12 months, so a bit of inflation proofing as well.

#5 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,653 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:54 AM

Bit of a bump to the thread :lol:

Ive recently insured my Mini with Peter James ( fully comp ) , and have lots of mods, 1275 stage 2 engine, suspension, brakes, body, and interior, these were all noted down, and only cost an extra £100 to have these compared to a standard 998 Mini...

:lol:

#6 mikey72

mikey72

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:42 PM

If it's not a rude question, how old are you, and how much did it cost?

#7 conrad

conrad

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:48 PM

I'm 17 with a 998cc all standard. I insured my mini last night for £630 fully comp on my own policy :)

FULLY COMP! thats an incredible price!

Who is that with?

#8 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:52 PM

I'm 17 with a 998cc all standard. I insured my mini last night for £630 fully comp on my own policy :)

Who is that with?

most probably Footman James :P

#9 mikey72

mikey72

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:53 PM

Don't go there.
There's a thread about it somewhere.

#10 conrad

conrad

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:54 PM

Who is that with?

most probably Footman James :P

even with footman james thats beyond belief. thats about the same price i had to pay for 3rd party with footman james. im 18 clean license and a standard 998

#11 banton

banton

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:06 PM

Haven't yet bought a Mini, still on lookout. I've got some quotes for a 998cc and the best I've got is £2511 but i've only looked on comparison sites. I have found though, that fully comp is cheaper than third party! Im 17 passed my test 4 months ago.
Also on Footman James' website it says that you can't get a quote online if you are under 25, does this mean you can if you ring up or not?

Edited by banton, 09 January 2011 - 10:12 PM.

#12 Mini Adam

Mini Adam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:09 PM

I'm 17 with a 998cc all standard. I insured my mini last night for £630 fully comp on my own policy :(

Who is that with?

It was with Aviva :thumbsup:
I also get protected no claims and i'm insured for anywhere in europe. In the case of an accident I get free recovery of my car if I am too injure to continue my journey. Free windscreen replacement if I get a crack. Courtesy car for up to 14 days. Replacement locks if keys are stolen. Continental break down cover.

Edited by Mini Adam, 09 January 2011 - 10:14 PM.

#13 Mini Adam

Mini Adam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:15 PM

Haven't yet bought a Mini, still on lookout. I've got some quotes for a 998cc and the best I've got is £2511 but i've only looked on comparison sites. I have found though, that fully comp is cheaper than third party! Im 17 passed my test 4 months ago.
Also on Footman James' website it says that you can't get a quote online if you are under 25, does this mean you can if you ring up or not?

You can't get a quote online under 25 would suggest so yes. Best bet is to give them a call. £2511 is a ridiculous amount though :/

#14 LukeMoss

LukeMoss

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Local Club: TGSOC

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:19 PM

I have a 1275cc didn't run insurance quotes through first (bad idea) I have yet to phone up the likes of footman james etc but on the price comparison websites they quote me around £5500 :/ that's for a totally standard 1992 SPI that's a price I'm most definately not paying!

I forgot to mention I'm 19 was 18 when I ran the quotes and had my license less than 1 month

Edited by LukeMoss, 09 January 2011 - 10:21 PM.

#15 Mini Adam

Mini Adam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:24 PM

I have a 1275cc didn't run insurance quotes through first (bad idea) I have yet to phone up the likes of footman james etc but on the price comparison websites they quote me around £5500 :/ that's for a totally standard 1992 SPI that's a price I'm most definately not paying!

I forgot to mention I'm 19 was 18 when I ran the quotes and had my license less than 1 month

So you have 1year NCB now?? That should make a lot of difference if so. A standard 1275cc shouldn't be much more, if anything at all. As said above, I got my quote with Aviva. I've only been driving a month today but am looking at getting a land rover next year (it runs in the family). I got a quote at the same time as I got one for my mini (about a week after I passed) and I could get insured fully comp with my own policy (same details and extras as above) on a 2.5 TDi Land Rover Defender 90 age 1988 for £750

Edited by Mini Adam, 09 January 2011 - 10:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users