8 replies to this topic

#1 josh_t_867

josh_t_867

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

this is my project what started as a 1988 red hot mini which came with a 998cc a serise since having it i have put a 1400 k serise engine in it. the engine is mounted in a watsons subframe which is a metro frame which has been adapted to fit a mini. as for the interior it has cobra bucketseats a rollcage and a alloy dash thats about it. i will try an keep the thread updated

Attached Files

#2 josh_t_867

josh_t_867

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:07 PM

the list of jobs to do until it is running and drivable are:
-fit a lower engine steady, not sure if i can use a standard metro one or if one will be costom made?

-mount gear linkage inside car and plate up hole where the standard gear linkage went through

-finnish off exhaust system, got all the parts needed im having the standard tubalar manifold down to a rover 214 downpipe with flexie pipe to a straght through center section and a mally mini backbox shown in pictures or mabey a micron backbox off a motorbike

-make a fuel system im thinking of a alloy fueltank and facet redtop fuelpump and press regulator and braided hoses what do you think about this combonation??

-mount mini clutch slave cilinder onto the rover gearbox and create pipework

-make some brake hoses for the frount brakes

thats it for the moment and once that is all done i will set out trying to mot it.

#3 josh_t_867

josh_t_867

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:58 PM

hi everyone ive made some good progress over the last couple of days,
i have made the gearbox steady and mounted it on the car using some bmw tiebars that were being thrown out.

ive mounted the gearlinkage inside the car altho i still need to plate up the original hole but i now selects all the gears fine.

ive made the frount brake pipes and new rears running inside the tunnel out of harms way i used copper nickel brake pipe.

the main thing i have been doing is mounting the mini slave cilinder onto the rover gearbox, i did this by mounting the slave cilinder onto a section of box tubing on the side of the gearbox which is reinforced to outhe mountingpoints on the front of the engine. the slave cilinder uses a rosejointed rod to push a bracket mounted onto the standard rover clucth arm, i made up out of sheet steel. i then bleed it up and it seams to be working very well.

the final thing ive been working on is THE REAR MOUNTED RAD! i am using the radiator from a vauxhall corsa 16v and is going to be mounted on the floor drawing the air from under the car and ducting it out of the rear window.

any comments are greatly apreciated :D

Attached Files

#4 Granmas_car

Granmas_car

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

nice build i think im going to keep an eye on this for ideas as im planning a build like this with an 1800 lump are you going to convert the rear subframe to a beam axle and are you going to duct some air onto the rear windows?

good luck

#5 minimad01

minimad01

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

not being funny but this was 1 of the biggest problems with the mgf the cold water from the rad had to far to travel an dint really cool the engine qiuck enough my penny's worth but good build
is that a metro frame or a custom built 1 as im thinking about doing a 1400 conversion (the same) but under a clubman front

#6 rusty789

rusty789

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

Can you give me some help doing my gear linkage, like a few pictures and how you did it?

Thanks

#7 josh_t_867

josh_t_867

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:54 PM

yeas mate no problem i will get sum pics tommorow of the gearlinkage

i am planing on getting a rear beam and coilovers im just waithing for a cheep one to come up on ebay

i belive this to be a watsons subframe and im going for a clubby front to

#8 josh_t_867

josh_t_867

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

i have been vary busy doing the electrics of the car over the last couple of days i have mounted all the relays on the inside of the bulkhead allong with a fuse box which is going to fuse all the power feed for the relays.
http://i668.photobuc...810_1952_01.jpg

and for rusty789 i will try and help you, the gearlinkage i am using was included in the kit when i brought it so i dont know what is is achualy from altho i would hazzard a guess at a metro. the gearlinkage is mounted to the rear of the subframe and gose through the bulkhead just above the tunnel and travles on to of the tunnel on the inside of the car and is mounted on a peice of box tubing about 2" square which is welded to the crossmember/tunnel via 2 mate bolts with captive nuts welded on the inside of the box tubbing. sorry about the bad pics there the best i had havent had a chance to get any decant ones with a proper cam. hope this helps
http://i668.photobuc...810_1915_03.jpg
http://i668.photobuc...810_1915_02.jpg

minimad01 i am most probaly going to have an electric waterpump mounted in the back to help with the flow of water with a electric controler to control it along with 2 fans.

http://i668.photobuc...810_1915_01.jpg
http://i668.photobuc...810_1914_03.jpg
http://i668.photobuc...810_2348_02.jpg

#9 josh_t_867

josh_t_867

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:06 PM

quick update the built is now going a step further as in toying with the idea of 4 wheeldrive using a landrover freelander gerbox and rear diff with costom driveshafts, i have just got to check that the freelander gearbox will fit my engine alto i dont see why not as its a k-serise.

i may be using a mini front subframe on the rear as it will go in with a little bit of chopping and use rosejointed bas connecting to where the stering rack would usualy go on the hubs to the subframe so i will be able to adjust the toe in/out of the rear wheels

i know this is a very crazy idea but i think it may work so im going to start accumalating the parts while i get the body to a good standard on my car

let me know what u think plz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users