16 replies to this topic

#1 Gingernet

Gingernet

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:10 PM

Hi all, will be starting a project soon once my garage is sorted.

Which engine will fit into a Std Round Nose, as I don't like the extended fronts and not too keen on massive bulges.

Also, does anyone have any figures on how much the engines weigh? Any how much power they make?

I'm thinking maybe a 2L 8 Valve is my best option??

Cheers

#2 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:06 AM

If you are keeping the towers (e.g. modifying an existing frame) then you will need to stick with a small block vauxhall engine. That means 1.2-1.6 8 valve. The 16 valvers can be fitted but usually require a small bulge on the driver's side to clear the cam cover. The x18xe1 engine (small block) will also fit with a small bulge however the x18xe won't as that is the larger block (same as 2 litre).

Fairly sure (someone please correct me if I am wrong) but you won't be able to get a 2l 8 valve under a standard round nose. You could look at mounting the radiator in the boot if you want some more space. You may have a chance of getting a 2 litre in then.

This link will provide you with some engine stats.

http://www.themininu...ngine_stats.htm

#3 Gingernet

Gingernet

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:56 AM

Thanks mate. I don't mind a small bulge, just can't stand the extended look, and don't really want a Clubby as I've had them before.

I will either buy a subframe or I was thinking of spaceframing the front and getting rid of the subframe entirely. Has anyone done this?

#4 Owen

Owen

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Local Club: J19 Minis

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:22 PM

The 2ltr 8v will go in a standard round nose with the rad in the front (modified mini frame). I'm currently making a frame for someone at the moment and that all fits in a fibre glass front (seems to be even less room than a steel one). Cheers.

If you are keeping the towers (e.g. modifying an existing frame) then you will need to stick with a small block vauxhall engine. That means 1.2-1.6 8 valve. The 16 valvers can be fitted but usually require a small bulge on the driver's side to clear the cam cover. The x18xe1 engine (small block) will also fit with a small bulge however the x18xe won't as that is the larger block (same as 2 litre).

Fairly sure (someone please correct me if I am wrong) but you won't be able to get a 2l 8 valve under a standard round nose. You could look at mounting the radiator in the boot if you want some more space. You may have a chance of getting a 2 litre in then.

This link will provide you with some engine stats.

http://www.themininu...ngine_stats.htm

Edited by Owen, 17 June 2010 - 07:23 PM.

#5 Gingernet

Gingernet

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:34 AM

Cheers mate, that's what I thought. How much power do you reckon you can get from a mild tuned 2.0L 8 Valve on twin 40's?

I'm stuck between Honda B16 or Vauxhall 2.0L 8 Valve.

I'm sure someone on here put a little table up that showed the VTEC as being alot heavier, is that true?

Cheers
Lee

#6 Owen

Owen

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Local Club: J19 Minis

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

Cheers mate, that's what I thought. How much power do you reckon you can get from a mild tuned 2.0L 8 Valve on twin 40's?

I'm stuck between Honda B16 or Vauxhall 2.0L 8 Valve.

I'm sure someone on here put a little table up that showed the VTEC as being alot heavier, is that true?

Cheers
Lee

I would stick with the injection mate. If you get the manifold reversed (so the TB is on the opposite side), fit a decent air filter, exhaust, FPR you should see well over 130 ponies and similar torque figures!

As a rough guide, I took my standard 2ltr 8v up the strip against a 1.8 honda mini (twice with 2 different drivers) and I beat it both times.

#7 Gingernet

Gingernet

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:07 PM

Excellent, thats mate

#8 simdhillon

simdhillon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:08 PM

could you not fit a redtop in a standard round nose with a removable front and custom sub frame

#9 Gingernet

Gingernet

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:36 PM

could you not fit a redtop in a standard round nose with a removable front and custom sub frame

I think the struggle is fitting the radiator in?

#10 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:46 PM

the trouble is the size of the head so you'd have a massive bonnet bulge, plus you have to run them on carbs or butcher the bulkhead. If you want bigger power, look at turboing the 8v (but then rad and intercooler space is an issue)

#11 Lotus man

Lotus man

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

Yep, it is the fitting of the radiator that is a bit of a cow. As for the bulge for a c20xe it requires about an inch extra height over the line of the cam pulleys.

Cheers,
Kenny

#12 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:59 AM

My C16XE fits under the standard roundnose front, you could just get away without having a bulge in the O/S inner wing I reckon.

With the right exhaust manifold, you'd get a decent rad upfront too. The alternator is the only real issue. Mine pokes through the front panel a little.

#13 DougieMc

DougieMc

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:33 AM

My C16XE fits under the standard roundnose front, you could just get away without having a bulge in the O/S inner wing I reckon.

With the right exhaust manifold, you'd get a decent rad upfront too. The alternator is the only real issue. Mine pokes through the front panel a little.

You can also fit a C20XE in aswell with a few little mods :D
Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:39 AM