#1 ReeceM

ReeceM

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

Hey guys,

now this may not look very impressive but im very proud of myself since its the first thing ive made out of school which isn't 95% gaffer tape.

I made it slightly portable so i dont have to leave it in the car overnight, (not a greatt area to have nice things on show)

Attached File  DSC00709.JPG   225.19K   74 downloads
Attached File  DSC00710.JPG   261.28K   45 downloads
Attached File  DSC00711.JPG   307.23K   46 downloads

and im guessing that eagle eyed readers will realise that its not plugged in, but thats cause i was just about to take it out.
Constructive and destructive criticism welcome.

Also i found some spare speakers lying around and started looking for places to put them, screwed one into the heater
and then I came up with this, if anyone could work out how i could wire it, thats where its going to go :D

Attached File  DSC00707.JPG   267.83K   70 downloads

Edited by ReeceM, 21 June 2010 - 09:12 PM.

#2 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:13 PM

youve screwed a fli trap amp to a PA speaker and held it in place using a rear seatbelt?

excuse me if im being blind :D , but i fail to see anything youve made here :S

#3 ReeceM

ReeceM

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

youve screwed a fli trap amp to a PA speaker and held it in place using a rear seatbelt?

excuse me if im being blind :thumbsup: , but i fail to see anything youve made here :S

okay then technically i put wires under carpets and screwed stuff together. Actually there was a hole behind where the speaker is, where a speaker was, which i made a cover for, but i aint got pictures of it.

i still feel proud :D

#4 Carlzilla

Carlzilla

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:20 PM

Fair enough, thats why i couldnt see anything :P

ive been messing with audio today too, i can see why you want to make it removable, my car got broken into wednesday just gone for the audio equipment i have :thumbsup:

what ive been messing with today is in the ice & security section :D

#5 Frequency

Frequency

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:52 AM

yea that speaker on the steering wheel probably isn't going to sound as flash as you hope

the reason speakers are mounted into boxes is to prevent cancellation caused by the positive and negative waves created by the cone.
to make sound the cone moves in and out which causes air in front and behind it to compress forming waves. when a speaker is in the door of a car or the parcel shelf the door cavity or trunk respectively, stops the negative wave canceling out the positive wave as it is enclosed.
(consider a ported box which uses a port to delay the negative wave reaching the positive one therefore creating constructive interference - this is why ported sub boxes are usually higher output)

Basically by mounting the speaker like that you will get next to zero output from the cone and be left with just the treble from the tweeter

#6 ReeceM

ReeceM

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:34 PM

Ok i blew that speaker up and the other one on the parcel shelf,

So i got a bigger one, and actually made something this time, the box for it to go in.
the tweeter is the lone survivor of the speakers and
the sub is a 10 inch audiobahn 400w rms 800w max (£20 new)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The only thing left to do is put lights in it.

Its in the car like i had the other one with the belt round it, but im thinking of bolting the two seat belt clips to the front so it is held by both belts.

Edited by ReeceM, 04 July 2010 - 10:15 AM.

#7 minilester

minilester

One Carb Or Two?

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:02 PM

how thick is that plexiglass.. plastic... acrylic.. stuff? if its less then 5mm ,your gonna split it real early on in to playin your music...

dont get me wrong it looks pretty, but im not sure it'll hold up to the bass your gonna throw at it...

and its just a sub with a "disco tweeter" wheres the mid-bass,mid, mid-to-high gonna come from?

or are you stickin so coaxials up front or something?

Edited by minilester, 03 July 2010 - 11:04 PM.

#8 ReeceM

ReeceM

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:30 PM

I think its 4mm ish seems to be handling alright. Got one coaxial at front, two 6x9s in garage i might put in at some point.

#9 minilester

minilester

One Carb Or Two?

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:36 PM

I think its 4mm ish seems to be handling alright. Got one coaxial at front, two 6x9s in garage i might put in at some point.

if ya can just buy a cheap pair of coaxials for up front and turn the bass rite down on them and let the sub do all the work it was made for... cheap solution!!
or swap the 6x9's for a set as if you put 6x9's in the cab with the sub it'll sound poo and a mess...plus also try reversing the polarity of the sub wires, some times you can get a better result if its out of phase too!

Edited by minilester, 03 July 2010 - 11:37 PM.

#10 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:19 AM

I think its 4mm ish seems to be handling alright. Got one coaxial at front, two 6x9s in garage i might put in at some point

If you push in the middle of the perspex does it flex at all, if so then it needs to be thicker. Any movement in it will absorb energy and therefore the sub will be quieter than it should be.
Also, did you make the box to the right dimensions/volume as recommended? The reason I say this is those ports dont look the right size or length. It's a bit heavy reading for a novice but try this site or try the12volt.com calculator to figure it out. Audiobahn have recommended sizes on their website.
Try reading through other peoples posts and projects before going ahead with anything else that way you can plan exactly what you want from your system.

One other thing, have you taken the ugly blue wrapping off the perspex yet?

Edited by Brams96, 04 July 2010 - 08:20 AM.

#11 ReeceM

ReeceM

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:13 AM

if ya can just buy a cheap pair of coaxials for up front and turn the bass rite down on them and let the sub do all the work it was made for... cheap solution!!
or swap the 6x9's for a set as if you put 6x9's in the cab with the sub it'll sound poo and a mess...plus also try reversing the polarity of the sub wires, some times you can get a better result if its out of phase too!

I have another coaxial i can put in up front i just don't know where to put it. And how do i turn down the bass down on just the front ones, cause if i do it on the head unit it turns the bass down on everything.

If you push in the middle of the perspex does it flex at all, if so then it needs to be thicker. Any movement in it will absorb energy and therefore the sub will be quieter than it should be.
Also, did you make the box to the right dimensions/volume as recommended? The reason I say this is those ports dont look the right size or length. It's a bit heavy reading for a novice but try this site or try the12volt.com calculator to figure it out. Audiobahn have recommended sizes on their website.
Try reading through other peoples posts and projects before going ahead with anything else that way you can plan exactly what you want from your system.

One other thing, have you taken the ugly blue wrapping off the perspex yet?

The perspex dont flex at all. yeah the box is the right size it had all the guidlines in the booklet that came with it, 1.5 cubic feet.
i have taken the wrapping off and put a nice audiobahn sticker on one side :D
ill get a picture of it in the car when i work out the belt thing

Edited by ReeceM, 04 July 2010 - 10:16 AM.

#12 ReeceM

ReeceM

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:54 AM

all done (except lights)
Attached File  DSC00724.JPG   311.71K   23 downloads
Attached File  DSC00725.JPG   312.6K   26 downloads
Attached File  DSC00726.JPG   221.44K   27 downloads
Attached File  DSC00727.JPG   221.29K   30 downloads

gonna neaten up the wires a bit aswell, but in a rush cause im going out.

Edited by ReeceM, 04 July 2010 - 11:55 AM.

#13 crazycoleman118

crazycoleman118

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:21 PM

why is it just on the back seat?

#14 Andy!

Andy!

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

Why not put it in the boot? will be hidden from view so theives wont be attracted, also looks alot better at shows and stuff

EDIT: Holy thread revival batman, sorry didnt see how old this was, it's probably all changed now!

Edited by Andy!, 01 June 2012 - 08:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users