Photo

1993 Mini Cooper Spi - Carpc I.c.e Install With Custom Dash/switch Panel/console

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 MateyTheMini

MateyTheMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Local Club: Welsh Rarebit Minis

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:33 AM

Wow, i tell you... you'd sell them well! i'd love that idea in mine!

You wouldn't really need a powerful computer to do this anyway, and it's a good install.. have you managed to get enough air to it? and the vibarations on the car won't affect it and things?

#17 cheekynige

cheekynige

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:38 PM

You wouldn't really need a powerful computer to do this anyway, and it's a good install.. have you managed to get enough air to it? and the vibarations on the car won't affect it and things?

I'm sure there's a big enthusiast market for this :w00t:

You really don't need a powerful PC, infact the reason I opted for the zotac mini-itx is because it's so power efficient too. It's got pretty much all the features you'd need and idle's at ~ 20-30w. It can run fanless, but I don't. I've never had a problem with it overheating, and the intelligent power supply (carnetix P1900) which controls the startup shutdown is very reliable, well vented and has it's own fan too. A hot summer would be a good test definitely :w00t:

The only thing I'd change is upgrading the screen to a capacitive instead of resistive - like an iphone, but it's pretty much impossible to get hold of.

The install is rock solid concerning vibrations, and because i've used an SSD instead of normal hdd there's no moving parts to damage :D

I highly recommend getting one in your mini!

I'll try and get some videos of it in action, booting up from scratch and resuming from hibernation.

#18 Bannon

Bannon

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Local Club: NEMC

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

Wow, what a great setup, i would love to have something like this but funds wont allow it until i get a job :D but yeh, pukka job matey

#19 MateyTheMini

MateyTheMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Local Club: Welsh Rarebit Minis

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:46 PM

You really don't need a powerful PC, infact the reason I opted for the zotac mini-itx is because it's so power efficient too. It's got pretty much all the features you'd need and idle's at ~ 20-30w. It can run fanless, but I don't. I've never had a problem with it overheating, and the intelligent power supply (carnetix P1900) which controls the startup shutdown is very reliable, well vented and has it's own fan too. A hot summer would be a good test definitely :w00t:

The only thing I'd change is upgrading the screen to a capacitive instead of resistive - like an iphone, but it's pretty much impossible to get hold of.

The install is rock solid concerning vibrations, and because i've used an SSD instead of normal hdd there's no moving parts to damage :D

I'll try and get some videos of it in action, booting up from scratch and resuming from hibernation.

WOW ! I see, i noticed in your boot that you've put the fan there with the powerbox!

Yes, I'd love something like that! my mum's Mini Sprite she's put a fiberglass dashboard in with digital clocks and a built in Satnav because she needs one for work! so it's just my dash that needs changing! i got a Custom Consoles Dashboard, so i think i'd have to rebuy a new dashboard for it to work though!

Yes, get some video's up of it being used! i'd be interested to see them!

Thanks,
Callum

#20 the_r_sole

the_r_sole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:28 AM

yeah, my idea would be to reuse a few componets i've got kickin about (3 old laptops and an old desktop!) want to try it before getting all the expensive items in, would love an ssd, but going to build with a laptop hd and see, the screen is my only worry and power supplies don't seem too cheap! hoping an old marine computer case i have will provide enough protection but seen some nice aluminium cast ones which would help if it starts to over heat, might opt for a single din screen then if it all goes pete i can put a normal stereo back in!!

#21 Rich.

Rich.

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:09 AM

If you manage to make a plugin for Centrafuse that can make use of a capacitive screen i would be forever grateful! We have done a fair bit of work with Carpc's and centrafuse now, but the software side just isn't my thing!

Also, you can get capacitive overlays for screens, the attach to the front of the screen and replace the touchscreen output from the screen. So the original touchscreen provides the image, and the capacitive overlay provides the interface.

Rich

#22 the_r_sole

the_r_sole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:32 AM

If you manage to make a plugin for Centrafuse that can make use of a capacitive screen i would be forever grateful! We have done a fair bit of work with Carpc's and centrafuse now, but the software side just isn't my thing!

Also, you can get capacitive overlays for screens, the attach to the front of the screen and replace the touchscreen output from the screen. So the original touchscreen provides the image, and the capacitive overlay provides the interface.

Rich

would the window7 bit not be dealing with the gestures rather than the centrafuse software, meaning it would operate the same, or am i being silly here?! (it's been known to happen!) guess if you can find an overlay you could really use any monitor to display the image? might butcher my wee photo frame for a mini effort!

#23 1995 MK2 IOM

1995 MK2 IOM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • Local Club: NO CLUB HERE.... YET

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:43 AM

That is sweet! well done!

how hard was it to renovate the dash?

I have a dash, gear knob, door pulls, winders, cappings and handles to do.. and once I find a centre console - probably that too!

does it take as long as I think its going to take?

Cheers

J

#24 Rich.

Rich.

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:58 AM

Rich

would the window7 bit not be dealing with the gestures rather than the centrafuse software, meaning it would operate the same, or am i being silly here?! (it's been known to happen!) guess if you can find an overlay you could really use any monitor to display the image? might butcher my wee photo frame for a mini effort!

Yep, i believe your right, but you would have to run a plugin that could process the different commands you can do from a capacitive screen and relay them into commands for centrafuse, for example so it would know when you pinch on the screen it means zoom in ect. I do not believe there are any windows programs capable of doing this with centrafuse at the moment? Although this may be an easier route than designing a whole plug in for centrafuse? As i said im not expert on this.

And yep, you could just use a cheapo 7" display and overlay the touch screen element onto it, i think thats the general idea, but for most people it would be an upgrade so overlaying on a touchscreen is the most common way.

Rich

#25 the_r_sole

the_r_sole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:08 PM

Rich

Yep, i believe your right, but you would have to run a plugin that could process the different commands you can do from a capacitive screen and relay them into commands for centrafuse, for example so it would know when you pinch on the screen it means zoom in ect. I do not believe there are any windows programs capable of doing this with centrafuse at the moment? Although this may be an easier route than designing a whole plug in for centrafuse? As i said im not expert on this.

And yep, you could just use a cheapo 7" display and overlay the touch screen element onto it, i think thats the general idea, but for most people it would be an upgrade so overlaying on a touchscreen is the most common way.

Rich

i get you, guess it depends how important those commands would be in certain software, don't really know enough about it yet to comment! I could probably get away with a resitive screen, as long as it was half decent and worked with fingers, can't go a stylus in the car!!
i forsee a lot of muckin about coming up!!

Edited by the_r_sole, 09 February 2011 - 12:08 PM.

#26 Rich.

Rich.

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

:D We fitted one to a 90 a year or so ago that was going to the Arctic circle, so gloves were almost permanently on, so we had to come up with a different solution to the standard touch screen.

So instead we used this;

Attached File  20070417180035_Space_Navigator.jpg   86.79K   19 downloads

http://www.3dconnexi...enavigator.html

Which was mounted just under the arm rest, so you could rest your arm and hang your hand over the end of the armrest and operate the knob in comfort.

Lucky for us though some guys had already developed a really comprehensive plug in for it, which made the part im not very good at very easy!

Il try and dig out some photos, im sure i had some somewhere!

Rich

Edited by Rich., 09 February 2011 - 12:41 PM.

#27 the_r_sole

the_r_sole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:55 PM

:D We fitted one to a 90 a year or so ago that was going to the Arctic circle, so gloves were almost permanently on, so we had to come up with a different solution to the standard touch screen.

So instead we used this;

Attached File  20070417180035_Space_Navigator.jpg   86.79K   19 downloads

http://www.3dconnexi...enavigator.html

Which was mounted just under the arm rest, so you could rest your arm and hang your hand over the end of the armrest and operate the knob in comfort.

Lucky for us though some guys had already developed a really comprehensive plug in for it, which made the part im not very good at very easy!

Il try and dig out some photos, im sure i had some somewhere!

Rich

might get one of those for the house!! I was thinking of maybe installing a netbook bottom half (keyboard and mouse) into the back side of the glove box but worried that the mouse would move with the car...

#28 Rich.

Rich.

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:56 PM

Yer exactly, one of these with the Mac wireless keyboard (as the key spacing is pretty wide for use with gloves) is what we went for in the end as its really clean and tidy install.

Rich

#29 cheekynige

cheekynige

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:07 PM

Rich

3M make touchscreen overlays (usb), with controllers and drivers, so technically it's possible. A plugin would be required in CF to understand multitouch gestures but I can't see why it wouldn't be possible! I've enquired with 3M if they make something suitable - according to their website they make/made 7" widescreen overlays, so hopefully they still do.... Even if mutitouch Centrafuse isn't possible, capacitive touchscreen in an automotive environment would be brilliant.

Edited by cheekynige, 09 February 2011 - 10:09 PM.

#30 cheekynige

cheekynige

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:44 AM

That is sweet! well done!

how hard was it to renovate the dash?

I have a dash, gear knob, door pulls, winders, cappings and handles to do.. and once I find a centre console - probably that too!

does it take as long as I think its going to take?

Cheers

J

The dash took longer than anticipated because once the old lacquer was removed, it needed finely sanding, colouring slightly to make it darker, and then some base coats before lots and lots of lacquer coats - this was the tricky bit, trying to get an even thin coat. Then once dry, sand again to get it all even and repeat lots and lots. Must have gone through at least 6 tins. Can't be rushed but well worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users