#1 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

I posted a couple of days ago about my spi stalling under heavy breaking!

My idea was it was some sort of air leak and under heavy breaking the engine is moving forward with momentum and making the leak worse. and then the car stalls! Seem reasonable?

the story goes, we have driven from Sweden to Scotland over the last 2 weeks and the car had a stage one kit fitted at minisport and was running like a sweetie!

2 days ago it began stalling under breaking at junctions etc, but would always start again. on start up the idle spead was fine around 850. and after leaving the car running for 20 mins and takining it for a drive an coming to a slow stop it remained at 850.

we were due to drive to york yesterday but i couldnt drive the car that distance with its problem, so we used our euro break down cover and got towed tp a garage who couldnt deal with it. so we drove to a former rover garage.

they had it on the diagnostic and it came back with a fault - they said soemthing to do with the "air intake system" - i translate that as a faulty sensor or air leak as i first thought.

They couldnt find a leak and so they thought they should just raise the idle speed, by adjusting the screw. Im not a happy bunny!

When turning the car on it hunts for idle until warm and then idles at 1000. the car doesnt stall under braking (as they have raised the idle so much). this also means the car is in principle always running with a bit of throttle. which means when coming to a stop the car wil creep along on its own (on flat ground).

The garage has charged me 110 quid for teh pleasure also.

I will be there first thing tomo but before that any advice?

I need the car fixed to get me home also!! as im not happy with this "bodge".

#2 Big Man

Big Man

Put your trousers on---You're Nicked!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:05 PM

Mate, im sure you cant alter the idle speed on an Spi by turning any screw as its controlled by the ECU

I woul dcheck each and every one f your vaccum pipes AND the connectors. You can bypass the flame trap to test as a temp measure.

I suggest after the checks have been done re vaccume pipes that you change the air intake temp sensor (very cheap and a two minute job.

Well thats what I would do but NOT an expert or mechanic.

Hope it does not ruin your hols !

Cheers

BM

#3 Big Man

Big Man

Put your trousers on---You're Nicked!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:07 PM

Oh and would also change the temp sensor as well , cheap and easy (as long as you have small hands!!)

#4 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:33 PM

Hi,
If the engine is stalling when braking, probably the brake servo is leaking. You can disconnect the large vacuum hose at the servo and plug it and see how the engine runs. Beware that the brake pedal might be harder to press with the hose disconnected, if the servo was partially functional before. If the servo is completely shot, there will be no difference in the braking.

Good Luck!

Ivan

#5 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:56 PM

Seen this a few times where the stepper motor hasnt been set up right..

is the problem deffo when braking... or is it going from high revs back to idle after a drive - like when you come up to a junction... you brake and then dip the clutch.. engine revs drop and then stall?

#6 rocketbeta

rocketbeta

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:53 PM

I had the same problem where my car would stall when I came to a stop. It was the braking park that stalled it out but rather the RPM dropping to idle and stalling out. I checked the hoses and found that the elbow at the intake (fuel trap to intake) was damage. The rubber was all cracked. I replaced both the rubber elbows at the intake and now my girl is running fine!

Cheers,

Ant

#7 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:17 PM

I had the same problem where my car would stall when I came to a stop. It was the braking park that stalled it out but rather the RPM dropping to idle and stalling out. I checked the hoses and found that the elbow at the intake (fuel trap to intake) was damage. The rubber was all cracked. I replaced both the rubber elbows at the intake and now my girl is running fine!

Cheers,

Ant

Just got home on sat and didnt have internet access on the road!

yip thats what it was, although the elbows and vacuum pipes were fine!

the good lads at minisport in padiham looked over the car for about 2 hours, tested the stepper motor which was fine.
Eventually they tested the fueltrap, which was the seaky little culprit. They just removed it altogether and the car is brilliant again. And they didnt charge anything too!

they also reset the idle which the bodge garage raised!!!

Very happy with the car which got us safely home to Sweden via, dover, calais, belgium, holland, germany, denmark in 2 days!

Thanks for the replys

#8 rocketbeta

rocketbeta

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:11 PM

Cheers,

Ant

the good lads at minisport in padiham looked over the car for about 2 hours, tested the stepper motor which was fine.
Eventually they tested the fueltrap, which was the seaky little culprit. They just removed it altogether and the car is brilliant again. And they didnt charge anything too!

Very happy with the car which got us safely home to Sweden via, dover, calais, belgium, holland, germany, denmark in 2 days!

Thanks for the replys

So you changed the fuel trap or did you remove it? by the way it must of been a sweet drive in two days! =)

#9 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:28 AM

Cheers,

Ant

Thanks for the replys

So you changed the fuel trap or did you remove it? by the way it must of been a sweet drive in two days! =)

They removed it!

Was a bit of a challenge in 2 days but the euro roads are a pleasure to drive on SOOO smooth. And on the autobahn little mini reached a massive 103mph!

The worst part is in traffic when its 32 outside and the temp gauge of the car is slowly creeping into the red, and you have no choice but to put the heater on = very unpleasent!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users