• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Stevee

Stevee
  • Members
  • 0 posts
  • Local Club: #

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

surely now you've mounted the engine facing the oppersit way it should "In theory" spin same way as the A Series

ill pm you a few details you could try :alien:

#17 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:38 PM

he was going to do a chain driven drop gear so even though its backwards it will go forwards, until the mini gearbox gives up the ghost.
Why go backwards in terms of gearboxs?

#18 Broomer

Broomer

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:45 PM

I know someone said it has been done, but with my K series conversion the rocker cover is very very close to the bonnet with the K series sump at the exact same height as the A series gearbox. the only difference being im sure the K series sump is half the height of the rover gearbox.... might be worth looking into.

#19 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:42 PM

i actually sold the engine and binned all the chopped up bits in the end, it was just WAY too tall to fit in the engine bay,

i have still got the crank tail if anyone is trying the same or similar thing, so it can be bolted to the crank to drive the mini flywheel?

i have got a very nice spec 1310 now and wouldnt look back to be honest, very happy with it. dunno why i bothered messing with this now to be honest?

#20 Broomer

Broomer

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:07 PM

i actually sold the engine and binned all the chopped up bits in the end, it was just WAY too tall to fit in the engine bay,

i have still got the crank tail if anyone is trying the same or similar thing, so it can be bolted to the crank to drive the mini flywheel?

i have got a very nice spec 1310 now and wouldnt look back to be honest, very happy with it. dunno why i bothered messing with this now to be honest?

Because the A series will blow up in 6 months?

#21 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Local Club: trinimini

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

Had you been sucessful, would you have wondered 'why did i mess with this A series for all these years to be honest'? lol.
It was just my experience, but after doing our Toyota on mini gearbox it was impossible to go back to the A-series, maybe your engine choice was just slightly unsuitable.

#22 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:02 PM

having now got a fully sorted a series unit, im now wondering why anyone would bother doing a transplant of any kind. it certainly made light work of passing vauxhall and a honda engined cars at castle combe this year, as well as some more powerfull pre 80s stuff at the same vanue earlier in the year.

long live the A series!

#23 Broomer

Broomer

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

having now got a fully sorted a series unit, im now wondering why anyone would bother doing a transplant of any kind. it certainly made light work of passing vauxhall and a honda engined cars at castle combe this year, as well as some more powerfull pre 80s stuff at the same vanue earlier in the year.

long live the A series!

Because the A series costs twice as much, and breaks 3 times as quick?

#24 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:56 PM

long live the A series!

you must have either bought or built some poor quality engines mate, thats all i can say! i feel sorry if you have had allot of breakdowns or major mechanical failures?

having worked on tons of rovers at my old work, i can confirm i have fixed FAR more k series units with failed head gaskets (no surprise there eh) or cracked liners and failed cam belts, all from normal road use.

yet working on minis for most of my life both at home and now preffesionally, i have only had one failed engine and that was because it was totally worn out from years of neglect.

as i say you must have had allot of bad luck with a series motors.

#25 jmini22

jmini22

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Local Club: no but want to join one

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:11 AM

my a series just on die ( touch wood :kiss: ) but mine had been p**sing it out with both coolant oil and ignition parts failing but at over 100,000 miles its still going strong, ts timing and fueling is set up well so never misses a beat now. its got a full rc40 hif38 torque master inlet and itg air fiter so call it stage 1 and i dont always drive it slow ;) but if you keep pating them up and pick up the problems befor the cause any damage your a series will have a good long life :)

dont knock em :)

jordan

#26 Broomer

Broomer

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

long live the A series!

you must have either bought or built some poor quality engines mate, thats all i can say! i feel sorry if you have had allot of breakdowns or major mechanical failures?

having worked on tons of rovers at my old work, i can confirm i have fixed FAR more k series units with failed head gaskets (no surprise there eh) or cracked liners and failed cam belts, all from normal road use.

yet working on minis for most of my life both at home and now preffesionally, i have only had one failed engine and that was because it was totally worn out from years of neglect.

Sorry, i don't get out of bed for anything under 100 horsepower, show me a A series than can run that kind of horse power all day, every day without costing like 5k? is it even possible? No.

I tried to keep to the A series route, and after several standard A series engines 998 and 1275s, i bit the bullet and spent allot of money on a 1293 for it to put out 88hp and blow up a year and a half later, yawn.
From an engineering point of view, there Jurassic, heavy, and shiiiiite.

#27 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:44 PM

pretty much any a series turbo.

#28 Broomer

Broomer

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:55 PM

long live the A series!

Sorry, i don't get out of bed for anything under 100 horsepower, show me a A series than can run that kind of horse power all day, every day without costing like 5k? is it even possible? No.

I tried to keep to the A series route, and after several standard A series engines 998 and 1275s, i bit the bullet and spent allot of money on a 1293 for it to put out 88hp and blow up a year and a half later, yawn.
From an engineering point of view, there Jurassic, heavy, and shiiiiite.

pretty much any a series turbo.

Really?

strap a blower to an already expensive and unreliable engine.

If i had thousands of pounds to build a decent turbo motor, which will cost thousands i would do it, but i dont have the time or patience to be rebuilding it every year.

A series turbo motor goes bang, prob rites off a 500 quid head and 1000 quid short motor, aswell as another 1000 worth of gear box.

K series goes bang, costs 50 quid for a replacement. hm.. lighter, stronger, more reliable and epic on fuel with 5 gears and driven carefully if you want to.

Edited by Broomer, 12 December 2011 - 10:59 PM.

#29 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:07 PM

'm not going to deny that ultimatly the K is going to be more reliable...

but realisticaly a std A series with a turbo on is going to easily make 100 hp and be reliable (as long as you dont bolt together a load of wor out parts together), after all the metro turbo managed it with 93hp.

#30 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:29 AM

Broomer.

Find me an n/a fwd engine conversion that hasnt had thousands spent that runs as quickly as the class c front runners? Hell class b front runners?

Edited by Sam Walters, 13 February 2012 - 12:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users