23 replies to this topic

#16 Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 12:23 PM

i'm looking to make them in to a pair of Rear fog lights to house on my parcel shelf.

Just check the legality of that matey!

I think they are only allowed to be a certain height from the ground so as not to dazzle other drivers.

Correct

http://www.opsi.gov....n_16.htm#nsch11

also unless you made a pod that held them to the window you would dazzle yourself inside the car from the relection from the screen. This is why aftermarket high level brake lights have a cowling over them

#17 Waynetbun

Waynetbun

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Local Club: TMC - Tendring Mini Club

Posted 24 November 2005 - 12:25 PM

I'm currently making a rubber surround that will fit in to the pod and will be a snug fit against the rear screen!

#18 Jake Blues

Jake Blues

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts
  • Local Club: Central Minis

Posted 24 November 2005 - 12:29 PM

But they will be too high to be legal my friend!!

#19 Waynetbun

Waynetbun

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 12:35 PM

In the pic attatched you can place a fog light in the pink area, so the parcel shelf would be ok? would it not?

#20 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 01:47 PM

They will indeed be legal, the Mini's only 4 feet high so unless they're in the top 8" of the screen they'll be fine.

I think that's a really good idea.

The only trouble you might have is with the beam spread. I would imagine it would be best to use a round fog lamp lens in the housing to ensure the beam is the right shape but you may be planning that anyway. Those 90mm round lamps that are available might fit.

I would also advise you to fit a high level brake light with them. People sitting behind you in traffic may expect them to be brake lamps rather than fogs and so would be watching them and not your real stop lamps. Then when they don't light up you may get crashed into. If there is a high brake lamp in the top middle then there'll be less chance of that.

(Well I'll use some for some small speakers then if you won't, heh heh heh....)

#21 Jake Blues

Jake Blues

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 02:15 PM

Errmm, don't want to be pedantic but our Minis are all 53 inches high, that's 4 foot 5 inches (1.35m). 1 metre from the ground is only just above the bottom of the window so it looks like you would be OK to mount them on the parcel shelf. That being so, can you not just bolt them straight through the shelf?

Dan's right about the hi-level stop light too. people are used to seeing fog lights lower down on a car and don't forget that they are there for other users benefit anyway (so they don't crash into you in fog!).

#22 Waynetbun

Waynetbun

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 02:21 PM

Ok guys cheers for all the advise, was planning on another brake light, but thats down the list of things to do, main thing was the fabrication of the lights first, then worry about the placement etc as i no its going to be legal to do my idea.

#23 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 02:48 PM

Errmm, don't want to be pedantic but

And yet still you managed it! :( :( :(

#24 Jake Blues

Jake Blues

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 06:01 PM

Of course :( :(

Years of practice watching Jeeves & Wooster and Bernard in Yes, (Prime) Minister!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users