74 replies to this topic

#61 Dave33

Dave33

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

Well i'll try richening the mixture abit then; but like I said I looked at a spark plug and its was pretty sooty already.

So in terms of timing, what would make it run so hot, so fast? With this be too advanced or what?

It could be too advanced or too retarded,both will cause overhaeting probs.
I take it the MJ doesnt use a dizzy?
Personally i would try the mixture if no joy speek to whoever set up the base setting for the ignition,im guessing it a 3d mappable type ignition,where you can set the advance curve to whatever you want?
dave

#62 stardude

stardude

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts
  • Local Club: hilltop mini's

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:42 PM

try running it on the limp home mode to get it running properly, if it stops glowing red, then i would say tthe map is incorrect, if it keeps glowing, its either the fueling or the megajolt sensor has not been setup correctly

#63 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:35 PM

I did have the car running on just the EDIS, but it start back firing through the carb... i'll give it a go....

#64 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:20 PM

Double and triple check the alignement of the sensor to the missing tooth at TDC.

#65 liirge

liirge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,097 posts
  • Local Club: EDMC AND MMC

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

Double and triple check the alignement of the sensor to the missing tooth at TDC.

This is what I would be looking at, as well as the data from the MJ see if anything is unusual or intermittent

#66 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:18 PM

I thought this, but the trigger wheel fitted, is a whole new machined billet pulley. So the missing tooth is machined into the pulley, which lines up with the key on the crank. So unless its been machined wrong - It can't be wrong.

#67 liirge

liirge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,097 posts
  • Local Club: EDMC AND MMC

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

the position and distance of the sensor in relation to the trigger wheel can be!

#68 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

Well i've had a look at the bracket fitted and it doesn't look like it can be adjusted. I've taken a couple of photos, they're not great but hopefully somebody might be able to comment on the position and distance of the trigger sensor:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#69 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:14 AM

Looks about right, but take the pictures again with the engine TDC so we can see the position of the missing tooth.

.... So the missing tooth is machined into the pulley, which lines up with the key on the crank....

This doesn't sound tight to me. If the missing tooth lines up with the keyway then they will both be at the top of the pulley at TDC. For EDIS4 the sensor should be exactly 90degrees before the missing tooth, so in your case it should be a 9 o'clock. However it looks to be more like 8 o'clock.
Unless adjustment is made in MJ for this then you will (approx) 10 degrees out in your timing figures.

Edited by GraemeC, 14 July 2010 - 07:21 AM.

#70 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:57 AM

No sorry, what I meant was that the missing tooth is machined into the pulley in the right position; and the pulley can't of been put on wrong because of the keyway on the crank to line it up.

#71 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,438 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:17 AM

It might be useful to rig up some timing marks so you can use a strobe to measure the advance. Without them you'll be whistling in the dark. You can't be far off though, if it starts and runs.

Put your mark at 10btdc: that's what the limp home mode should give you.

#72 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

So 10 degrees btdc would be 8 teeth from the missing tooth. Is it to the right of the missing tooth I put the mark?

#73 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:06 AM

A little update on this. Steve from SD minis has been down today. He checked the mixture with the colour tune and made a very slight adjustment, so its now running slightly rich.

He brought his engine timing machine with a proper xenon timing lamp and checked the timing and said everything looks alrite.

We had it running for a good 15 mins and the temp stayed at a steady 190F and the exhaust didn't glow or anything. He did say that because the stainless exhausts have a very thin wall, they do tend to show heat alot more. He said on his car and a supercharged car he knows of, he's seen them go white before! So i'm putting the overheating just down to me keeping the revs quite high and the warm weather at the time.

So the engines running ok now, if a little rough on idle - But I'm sure thats just down to the flywheel/cam. It revs up nicely, really responsive and sounds nice!

We tryed to connect the MJ, but his software wouldn't communicate with my MJ. I'll have to find out which software I need for the V3 MJ and give it a go.

Also does anybody know if the MJ software works with windows 7?

#74 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

One thing, does your crank pulley bolt have a lock tab washer on it? Doesn't look like it does to me?

Edited by GreaseMonkey, 17 July 2010 - 11:26 AM.

#75 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

Well spotted - Doesn't look like it does. Will have to look into that...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users