#1 ncd3

ncd3

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:33 PM

Hi all and Moderators,

Firstly i would like to state that what i am about to write is in no way to be considered slanderous and i make a point of highlighting my own errors as well.I feel that i have to relate my story because it could be of benefit to others and myself included and i am interested to hear of anyone else s experiences with the man in question.This is following on from long discussions with the wonderful friendly and helpful people of Downton Motor Engineering of Arborfield Berkshire who have conducted a thorough and detailed engineering assessment of my poor Mini.

It is best if i begin from the start.

About 8 years ago my mom and dad purchased a fantastic mini from our next door neighbors.It was an immaculate 998 City E circa 1989 with only 22000 miles on it and was used irreguarly by an elderly lady for moving about town.The bodywork was excellent (still is) and all pannels were and still are original.Mini rapidly became part of the family and latter my first car post passing my test.It was then that my love of Mini's (especially my mini :)) ) grew and became obsessive lol.Time went by and as i got into working after university it became apparent that i needed a more practical car for covering the commute and visiting my friends up and down the country and so i switched to a Corsa, buying the Mini off my mom and Dad last year to use purely for my enjoyment.For a long time i had wanted to renovate her, or rather perform some engineering changes and generally make the car in my own image.I decided to take the plunge and arranged finance and the mini went off to CP Mini's/Mini Mods? of Wokingham Berkshire to be fettled in February of last year.

Throughout our families period owning the car it had been looked after and serviced by Phill and latterly Rob of CP Mini's (Rob quit the business last year around the time my car arrived at Phill's workshop and now runs a cleaning business he is a top guy and knows his stuff).During Mini's lifetime it has had hardly any problems with it and any work carried out at CP Minis up until last year has been fine and dealt with quickly.So i have had nothing to criticize up until this point and a decent working relationship and trust with Phill were built up with me over these years.

And it was on this basis that in February of last year i committed my first and most serious error. After discussions with Phill as to what direction to take the car we decided on this:

Installing an Mg Metro Engine with all ancillaries and cooling system
Dropping the car down on to 10" wheels (with all the appropriate braking upgrades, 7.5 inch cooper brakes which are for sale by the way)
Uprated Suspension
Lowering
Removal of rear seats and installation of Roll Cage
Full stage one kit ie full maniflow exhaust system and K&N air filter etc
Installation of new interior (which i bought from retro re-trims)

For these services i paid an initial £2500 cash up front with a following £1250 in cash slightly latter.Contented i went home excited that i was finally going to have the mini i allays wanted.I waited.And i waited.And i waited some more.I visited him a number of times and he assured me everything was going ok and i would have the car back soon i saw he had alot of work on and i trusted him so i let it go.As time went on and it reached September i became frustrated and told him that i must have the car back before November as i was going on holiday and enough was enough.This he surely did and i received the car in November but only after i had been on Holiday.I also came home to be told he had completed the work but it had failed it's Mot and there was a bill for a further £550.Still i took the car and everything was hunky dorey.Not knowing any different i drove the car around and i enjoyed it for a while.It did have some problems with it straight off.The seats were a poor fit and the interior looked badly fitted and one of the wing mirrors was wonky but i was by then so exasperated by the whole process that i was disinclined to take action and thought " *melon* it they are only small things" i was just pleased to have Mini back.Also he had not removed the rear seats or lowered the car as during the build i had told him i was not prepared to pay any more (even tho i thought that was what i paid for in the first place).In the mean time i still had not had any invoices and i have been perusing Phill ever since for them, barring the MOT invoices but he didn't conduct the MOT himself anyway.

The serious problems arose when i drove Mini down the M4 to show my work colleagues.It sounded like a tractor, became excessively hot and would not accelerate beyond 70mph.Two wheel arch's cracked and the window seals started leaking.By now i was seriously skint and starting to become very suspicious of the whole car as it became worse and worse.It quickly became apparent that my trust had been whole sale taken advantage of and i was so cross and ashamed with myself at being so stupid that Mini went under a car cover and was run only occasionally just to keep it alive.I just couldn't bear to look at it.Slowly i steeled myself and became determined to get it looked at by somebody in the known and recently i have been in a financial position to do that and this is where the story goes back to the top as Mini went to Downton on Thursday of last week.Me and my Dad had a good chat with the guys there ( i wont mention their names without permission) who were very sympathetic and new exactly what had happened to me.Turns out that i am not the only one (surprise surprise) and they know Phill well and have had several of his ex customers with Mini's in various states of disrepair ( some dangerously so).Anyway in the 30 mins chatting with them it was revealed that the engine in my car is a standard 1300 metro engine and only has the cooling system and ancillaries from a 998 sprite and definitely does NOT have a full Maniflow system on it.The " subframes" on my seats are nothing but welded steel tubes which tilt at one end and are not fixed and an MOT failure.My Dad happened to mention that Phill had charged us/me (my parents had to help me out with money after i got back from holiday which made it worse!) for the replacement of the drivers side inner sill.They pointed out that this was still factory and it appeared that Phill had merely roughed up the paint to make it look like he had done some work on it with only some minor non spot welded work on the upper lip of it which was un-necessary.Seeing my obvious dismay the guys re-assured me by telling me that at least the Body was one of the best they'd ever seen and no work would be needed at all, which was some small relief.

I agreed to leave Mini with them for a full assessment.

I now have 3 A4 pages of faults 90% of which are fairly minor but others which are very serious.For example the speedo i about 10mph out,the rear brakes are so worn they are non existent.The timing is retarded so much that his equipment cant read it(about 9%?).None of the components in it are new (which is what i paid for) etc etc etc It is in short a mess and quite dangerous.I am now looking at significant cost to get the car to how it should have been in the first place.

Phill of CP Minis, had me for a fool, abused my trust, and took me to the cleaners.I believe there are lessons here for all of us.

I would be delighted to hear your thoughts and views and very interested to hear of any others experiences with Phill.

Cheers

Nick

Note: I have learned many things about Phill which i cant write here because i cannot substantiate them personally but please believe me when i say, and i think it is fair to say, that he is a con man of the first order and of doubtful and bad character.

#2 DaveVader

DaveVader

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:49 PM

Wow, that would be awful in any circumstance but the fact that you had built up some form of relationship with this bloke over numerous years and he goes and does this! This would make me SO angry.
Have you looked into a way of getting your money back?

Hope it get's the work it deserves! Good luck with it!

#3 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC-Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:08 PM

fair play on writting that without a single swear!
if he was getting that much money why did he go to the bother of bodging it so badly, its a bit soul destroying to think that some1 will take a clients hard earned and give such shody work.
hope u get this all sorted out

#4 Monstrous

Monstrous

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

I too have had problems with him and his so called "business"

A couple of years ago i bought a complete cooper s 7.5" brake setup, turned out when i got home he had given me two right hand calipers, so i had no way of bleeding the brakes

Tried ringing, emailing everything and he never answered, never rectified the problem, and i ended up buying a new caliper

What makes me laugh is he saw me and my dad at brooklands show last year, which wasn't long after he had sold me the stuff, and he made a hasty getaway from the cafe, as i approached him. AKA he legged it

I would stay well well clear of that ar$ehole

#5 ncd3

ncd3

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:05 PM

The problem with trying to get money back off him is that to my knowledge a few people have taken him through a small claims court and he hasn't got a pot to *yellow human water* in so he ends up paying "what he can afford" which is like a £1 a week.What is more viable is taking through trading standards because what he has committed is fraud, you can end up behind bars for that.I'm resigned to the fact i wont get anything back off him so I'd settle for that! It is interesting you mention your 7.5 discs, did you ever get an invoice?

#6 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:15 PM

Nightmare, I really feel for you dude. Thought of taking him to the small claims court?

#7 robtheplod

robtheplod

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:36 PM

What a nightmare. Don't let them get away with this whatever you do, or they will do it again and again...

Write to them explaining your concerns, giving them a set period of time to compensate you for the bad workmanship/work not carried out. Inform them of your intended steps through the court process should they not satisfy your claim - the more knowledgeable you seem, the better the chance of a early response...

Keep all letters etc to build your case and take photos of the workmanship. If they fail to follow through then go to trading standards who will advise you go to the small claims courts - this is VERY easy to do and can be done online (http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk) - no solicitors needed if you're confident about your case. It's likely if they have not rectified the problem by now then they are used to people threatening but then not carrying out the threat. They may pay up once a CCJ is awarded, but if not don't what ever you do use the county court bailiffs as they are ineffective - pay a small fee to transfer up to the high court bailiffs (the nasty ones in all those programmes!!) who are on commision and WILL get a result!!

If for whatever reason they don't pay up fully, then at least you'll know you've destroyed their credit rating with a CCJ so their business finds it impossible to obtain credit and hence will struggle in these tough times!

Trading Standards are unlikely to follow through with anything constructive themselves in my experience...

I've been through similar (missold mini) and now determined others don't get ripped off and just sit back and take it. It can take a while (mine took about a year in total), but people cannot be allowed to rip people off.. especially when it comes to mini's !!!!

DON'T GIVE IN!!!

Good Luck!!!

Edited by robtheplod, 11 July 2010 - 04:07 PM.

#8 DaveVader

DaveVader

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:49 PM

Yeah, best thing would be to go to Citizens Advice and get as clued up as you can.
I nearly filed a claim against my old employer and before I did anything I went to Citizens Advice so I knew exactly what my rights were etc.
If all looks well then small claims would be a good idea.

#9 Monstrous

Monstrous

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:09 PM

It is interesting you mention your 7.5 discs, did you ever get an invoice?

Never got an invoice, never got an email, never got a phone call

Went down to his lockup 9 or 10 times and he was never there

I'd love to see him have to cough up or even cease trading altogether to prevent other people falling into his trap

#10 ncd3

ncd3

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:36 PM

What a nightmare. Don't let them get away with this whatever you do, or they will do it again and again...

Write to them explaining your concerns, giving them a set period of time to compensate you for the bad workmanship/work not carried out. Inform them of your intended steps through the court process should they not satisfy your claim - the more knowledgeable you seem, the better the chance of a early response...

Keep all letters etc to build your case and take photos of the workmanship. If they fail to follow through then go to trading standards who will advise you go to the small claims courts - this is VERY easy to do and can be done online (http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk) - no solicitors needed if you're confident about your case. It's likely if they have not rectified the problem by now then they are used to people threatening but then not carrying out the threat. They may pay up once a CCJ is awarded, but if not don't what ever you do use the county court bailiffs as they are ineffective - pay a small fee to transfer up to the high court bailiffs (the nasty ones in all those programmes!!) who are on commision and WILL get a result!!

If for whatever reason they don't pay up fully, then at least you'll know you've destroyed their credit rating with a CCJ so their business finds it impossible to obtain credit and hence will struggle in these tough times!

Trading Standards are unlikely to follow through with anything constructive themselves in my experience...

I've been through similar (missold mini) and now determined others don't get ripped off and just sit back and take it. It can take a while (mine took about a year in total), but people cannot be allowed to rip people off.. especially when it comes to mini's !!!!

DON'T GIVE IN!!!

Good Luck!!!

Thanks for your reply, it's terrible whats happend to both of us.I have discussed with various people the possibilty of the small claims court however he has no money at all and already has major debt issues which is why he deals only in cash with no invoices or paper trail.I really think he litterally lives day by day if you see what i mean.He lives out of a caravan on a dodgy park but at least i DO know where he lives.The advice you give about citizens advice is good and i will talk to them.It bites that people like him get away with it and i would really like to try and bring him to justice.

#11 chappy

chappy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

sorry to hear about your problems dude,

i know how it feels when you discover work you paid for hasnt been done..

how much are you after for the brake setup?

#12 rob#155

rob#155

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:42 AM

I know what I'd do, and it'd involve a large peice of 3X2 >_<

#13 robtheplod

robtheplod

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:19 AM

I know what I'd do, and it'd involve a large peice of 3X2 :)

comonly called 'Plan B' !! >_<

#14 minikev84

minikev84

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Local Club: TVMC

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

You will not go wrong with Downton Motor Engineering his work is worth every £1.

#15 mk3cortina

mk3cortina

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:15 PM

caravans catch fire easily.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users