#31 DannyTip

DannyTip

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Local Club: A Series Magpies

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:37 PM

Ive got a rollcage that mostly covers the interior light.  My plan is to get some led strips and run it across the top of the rollcage tubes to nicely glow around the headlining.

#32 Mini Mad Drakeley

Mini Mad Drakeley

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Local Club: south down mini owners club

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

I don't like my interior light so I've just ordered these,

LED strip

i plan to run a strip up each side of the headlining and a strip at the back of each front footwell. I'm currently looking at various switching circuits so i can fit a variable resistor so i can dim the strip or make it brighter and since it will be running at about an amp or more I don't want it draining the battery so im gona fit a timer to make them flash at about 50Hz so there's no difference to the eye but it will take a lot longer to drain the battery.

I will post pictures when it finished :-)

Adam

#33 stevede

stevede

As seen on TV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:38 AM

Here's mine.

Led light unit, fixed with a hot glue gun and soldered up.

DSCN3750.jpg

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

just searching the forum on how to improve the courtesy light and saw your post from 3 years back.

Was wondering if you could help me. That LED in that pic ^^^ what type was it. I bought 256 canbus type (I believe they're called) as recommended by someone on here for my MPi. Went to fit them the other day only to find they dont fit at all. I have no idea how you power them as the standard bulb in the light is a bayonet type and this LED is completely different fitting. Could you perhaps link me to the LED you bought please or kindly guide me on how to wire this one up lol as I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to this

Kind regards

Max

Hi Max

I bought an item similar to this http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43c32c9c04

Not from this seller, but it was so long ago I can't remember who.  Check the physical size as there are many around. (think mine was 9 led)

They come with wires attached and you will need to solder the +'ve and -'ve wires to the corresponding terminals in the lamp unit. I simply fixed the led board in to the lamp unit with a hot glue gun.

Hope this helps.

If stuck, give me a shout and I'll see if I can get a photo.

Regards

Steve

#34 minimaxie

minimaxie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

Here's mine.

Led light unit, fixed with a hot glue gun and soldered up.

DSCN3750.jpg

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

just searching the forum on how to improve the courtesy light and saw your post from 3 years back.

Was wondering if you could help me. That LED in that pic ^^^ what type was it. I bought 256 canbus type (I believe they're called) as recommended by someone on here for my MPi. Went to fit them the other day only to find they dont fit at all. I have no idea how you power them as the standard bulb in the light is a bayonet type and this LED is completely different fitting. Could you perhaps link me to the LED you bought please or kindly guide me on how to wire this one up lol as I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to this

Kind regards

Max

Hi Max

I bought an item similar to this http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43c32c9c04

Not from this seller, but it was so long ago I can't remember who.  Check the physical size as there are many around. (think mine was 9 led)

They come with wires attached and you will need to solder the +'ve and -'ve wires to the corresponding terminals in the lamp unit. I simply fixed the led board in to the lamp unit with a hot glue gun.

Hope this helps.

If stuck, give me a shout and I'll see if I can get a photo.

Regards

Steve

Thanks steve for your help :) i will of course pm you if i need any more help

Kind regards

Max

#35 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

I have exactly this on my mini, i have put the LED infront of the radio as well to light that if need be. I have four strips, 2 under the foot wells and 2 under the front seats, im in the process of another two white strips underneath the foot wells for when the doors as the others on a switch are red. and two more red LED strips in the back, although I may just swap 2 from the front to the back and them all on a three way switch like the original light switch :)426697_10150997147449362_242233950_n_zps098f45cb.jpg0bef72b9.jpga31ef148.jpg

very cool, how did you wire these?! are they fused, or do they just run with the normal light switch?
These look great am I right in saying that the cable that goes to the door switch is the earth?
If so do you just cut into that for the earth and then just find a permanent live and they should come on when the doors open.

#36 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

:)

#37 Hegnirst

Hegnirst

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts
  • Local Club: Hilltop Minis

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:56 PM

I have exactly this on my mini, i have put the LED infront of the radio as well to light that if need be. I have four strips, 2 under the foot wells and 2 under the front seats, im in the process of another two white strips underneath the foot wells for when the doors as the others on a switch are red. and two more red LED strips in the back, although I may just swap 2 from the front to the back and them all on a three way switch like the original light switch :)426697_10150997147449362_242233950_n_zps098f45cb.jpg0bef72b9.jpga31ef148.jpg

very cool, how did you wire these?! are they fused, or do they just run with the normal light switch?
These look great am I right in saying that the cable that goes to the door switch is the earth?
If so do you just cut into that for the earth and then just find a permanent live and they should come on when the doors open.

well that was my idea in the first place but the i couldn't be bothered as i had no interior light to start of with lol yea it would be a live to the LED's switched or permanent dependant whether you wanted to be able to switch them on when ignition was off or not. and then the ground from the LED's just fed of the door switches ground :)

hope this helps i got some new ideas for when it goes back o the road :)

#38 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:29 AM

Super thanks matey.

well that was my idea in the first place but the i couldn't be bothered as i had no interior light to start of with lol yea it would be a live to the LED's switched or permanent dependant whether you wanted to be able to switch them on when ignition was off or not. and then the ground from the LED's just fed of the door switches ground :)

hope this helps i got some new ideas for when it goes back o the road :)

#39 Rexdidacool

Rexdidacool

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

Wow. I have been inspired by some of these ideas. :o I'm wanting a strip of red LED's under my dash and a strip under the lip of the rear seats. Problem is, I know sod all about wiring as it is one of my biggest hates lol.

#40 Hegnirst

Hegnirst

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

Wow. I have been inspired by some of these ideas. :o I'm wanting a strip of red LED's under my dash and a strip under the lip of the rear seats. Problem is, I know sod all about wiring as it is one of my biggest hates lol.

just go for it and you'll learn :) go head first and you wont have a choice but to learn :)
its the best way lol

#41 Rexdidacool

Rexdidacool

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

just go for it and you'll learn :) go head first and you wont have a choice but to learn :)
its the best way lol

There is a switch, down by my fog light switch that goes to (to my knowledge), nothing. It has two wires, black and red, which I guess would be power and grounding? Maybe that could work to wire some LED's to?

#42 Hegnirst

Hegnirst

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

its the best way lol

There is a switch, down by my fog light switch that goes to (to my knowledge), nothing. It has two wires, black and red, which I guess would be power and grounding? Maybe that could work to wire some LED's to?

in theory i suppose just follow the wires? lol

#43 Rexdidacool

Rexdidacool

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

its the best way lol

Will do. Never put much thought into it before lol. Wiring is the worst. :P

#44 Hegnirst

Hegnirst

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

its the best way lol

Will do. Never put much thought into it before lol. Wiring is the worst. :P

always is my friend as its so unpredictable mate! :D

#45 Rexdidacool

Rexdidacool

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:53 PM

This is an improvement of my earlier idea... I've been wanting to do something different with my dash and was thinking maybe going a little out there with it by creating artwork of a night scene, printing it to vinyl, wrapping it and where in the artwork there will by fireworks, drilling through the dash and putting red LED's in from the back. Bit different... Thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users