20 replies to this topic

#1 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:18 PM

So the first question I get asked is "What the hell is that thing in your sig?!". Well heres a little insight to the mini that never was.

In 1997, the 30th anniversary of the Monty Carlo run, Rover, the then owner of Mini (and by god I miss 'em) decided after its very-much failed attempt at modernising the mini to try again. Talks were already with BMW at this point and had been for about 3 years, contrary to common belief (they wanted rid of mini and quick...silly buggers). :D

So..to recap a few years before hand. Mini had been using the same design for donkeys years...quite right too. Deisgners ofcourse prefer to modernise more things than the engine bay and the dashboard. So in pops:

Posted Image

Spiritual...oh my what a disaster. Shown here in 1997, the spiritual was rejected by BMW long before in 1995. It was Rovers answer to a modern mini...the thought bubble remained that way:

Posted Image

For the 5 door version aswell. Oh dear o' dear. This brought the K-series engine into effect, rear mounted, and under floor. It completely threw the mini design up-side down...it followed German ethics of rear mounting to the letter. This however was very much a prototype...one of the few that made it to a working model basis.

At the same time of Rovers thinking, BMW had ideas up its sleeve. This drawing is dated as a 1997 initial thought:

Posted Image
BMW had already made up its mind it seems. Then, following much debate in the Rover designer meetings, German politics hit home, however, Rover was not going down lightly.

In January, on the anniversary of the Monte Carlo victory by the legenday Mini Cooper, Rover released the definitive missing link between British and German minis...however this concept I assure you...is VERY British:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The concept car code named ACV30 was the public announcement that Rover were indeed making a mini replacement...all be it in partnership with, and eventual tranfer over to BMW.

So there you have it folks. The ACV30...the missing link. (Brings a tear to my eye). :D

#2 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:28 PM

I'd seen pics of it before, but never an explanation as to what it was, other than a Rover prototype.

I prefer the BMW Mini though to be honest. Just my opinion though, don't shoot me! :grin:

#3 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:29 PM

No don't worry I won't shoot you - I'll just slap you across the face with a large rainbow trout at dawn. :nugget:

#4 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:30 PM

I think it was a stunning concept and was a worth successor! At least it was a british car made by a british company base on a british chassis!

Not a GERMAN BLOB! :D

#5 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:33 PM

No don't worry I won't shoot you - I'll just slap you across the face with a large rainbow trout at dawn. :nugget:

I can cope with that! As long as I don't have to write 'Romanus Eus Dommus' 100 times before sunrise else you'll chop my balls off!

Out of interest, what engine did the ACV30 have?

#6 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:45 PM

Gotta agree with you minis84 the BMW mini does look good, especially compared to the spiritual, thank god that wasn't released onto the unsuspecting public! :tongue:
I like the BMW mini, its just the drivers don't always have the same passion about their cars as mini owners do. :sad:

And nothing can compare to the simplicity of the orginal mini design so in a technical respect the BMW Mini was never going to be as much fun as the mini is, but for people who don't have time to mess around in their garages its a pretty good show.

But i think the technical aspect of mini ownership is what brings mini owners together, when things go wrong you can turn around and know someone else has been there before, and before you have even asked they have offered a helping hand.

Although they really could have done without the Chrysler engine. What were they thinking :D

#7 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:46 PM

Chrysler??? Well you do have some excellent points mate, but I'm 100% British patriotist...classic all the way. As for the engine I would have said a K-series, but somthing that would do a Cooper S justice - 1400cc and up?

Heres another couple of snap shots from the telegraph:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:27 PM

I'm sure I remember reading that article.

For what its worth I like the interior, but not a fan of the outside.

#9 crocstarr

crocstarr

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:29 PM

hey it would have been fun to buy one and turn it back into the classic shape.

#10 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:33 PM

I recon that concept looks wicked, its still huge but somehow it doesnt look quite the blob of the current BMW. Love the interior in it to. Think i'll stick with the classics though, i'd get board if i wasnt fixing them all the time :D

#11 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 03:29 PM

Concept reminds me of a smart car...!

The new 4 plus...

#12 crocstarr

crocstarr

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:23 PM

yeh i thought the same shaz. wasnt too sure which smart car though.

#13 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:29 PM

i thought this was about Ade with "the missing link" title :D

from what i can remember about this car it used a MGF floor plan :smartass:

#14 pdaykin

pdaykin

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:55 PM

Missing link ? I dont think so.

Its based on an MGF and, in my opinion, is no where near as faithful to the original mini concept as the spritiual

#15 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:28 PM

Well heres a little insight to the mini that never was.

Good because it looks cr@p.

As already said, the top one of the other concept cars looks like a Smart car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users