#1 lissylou

lissylou

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:09 PM

Hi everyone,

I am new here and looking to buy a zcars race kit very shortly, but just have a few questions so I can decide where to start!

I dont want to buy a donor mini and recondition the shell as I do not have any experience in this at all, so what options do I have?

Spoken to Chris and he can supply me a fully painted shell which seems like the best option at the moment.
Also I have seen the heritage shells, but they are very expensive and do not come painted & prepped etc.

Just wondered if anyone knew of any other options? Fiberglass, plastic etc?

Oh also, I am intending to use this on the road, but with the intention to use it for hillclimbing. So bearing this in mind, if I were to crash, I would like to have the easiest options for repair etc.

Any help would be great!
Alice

#2 miniQ

miniQ

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:22 PM

Fibreglass is best option if you dont mind a deseamed mini.. will cost about £2000 + painting costs (will cost less than a brand new heritage shell WHICH ISNT painted! and will be lighter)
http://home.freeuk.n...kracing/FRA.htm (full kit + option for what front you want and whether you want that wierd back end)

for repair:
If you crashed and ruined the front end on a fibreglass mini you could simply replace and repaint it for cheaper then a metal front which would require welding.

Edited by miniQ, 12 August 2010 - 06:31 PM.

#3 lissylou

lissylou

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

Thank you! ... I was also thinking this regarding weight.

Do you know if anyone on the forum has used them?

Just looking at the pictures of it, is has no boot and a very large back window, is this the only design? I kind of wanted to keep it looking as much like a classic mini as possible.

Keep the links coming please :D

#4 miniQ

miniQ

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:28 PM

As i said... you dont have to have a wierd back end on it you can ask for a standard one if you request. also the weight save on a steel shell is somewhere in the region of 50k-100kg? i believe. also there have been many topics about fibreglass shells with many good answers so my advice is the learn as much as you can (google is your best friend) and post a topic in general mini chat with the title "fibreglass mini shell" or something along those lines :D try using the search tool and using the words fibreglass shell for some posts and topics... ill try and find more info for you but im going to bed now ^^ EDIT: check out: http://www.absmotors...ody-shells.html

Edited by miniQ, 12 August 2010 - 10:54 PM.

#5 rustandoil

rustandoil

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:52 AM

fibreglass shell in the classifieds

#6 miniQ

miniQ

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

Wierd hatchback version ^^

#7 vtecmini2

vtecmini2

Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:05 PM

HI

im useing a fibreglass shell made by zcars, not sure it was the best idea i have had. there is nothing up with the shell they have made its just very light, so not sure how its going to be with me useing it every day.

thanks
john

#8 Gsybeach

Gsybeach

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:25 PM

Hi Alice, it's Ben. I was going to suggest this forum to you as a useful place to find information but it looks like you found it!

Something to bear in mind if you are considering a fibreglass shell is the class you would be racing in. I had alot of trouble proving my steel shelled mini was ok to race in the sports libre saloon class but if you have a full fibreglass shell you may find yourself racing against the mallocks & racing cars.
Just something else to consider!

If you have any questions or want to see the car again just let me know. It would be good to see another one in the island!

Thanks, Ben.

#9 AllanMcD

AllanMcD

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Local Club: 16v mini club

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

Something to bear in mind if you are considering a fibreglass shell is the class you would be racing in. I had alot of trouble proving my steel shelled mini was ok to race in the sports libre saloon class but if you have a full fibreglass shell you may find yourself racing against the mallocks & racing cars.
Just something else to consider!

What was the problem ?
Mallocks normaly run in Sports Libre and you cant run in the racing car class with a mini to the best of my knowledge.
What your shell is made from is of no relevence to Sports Libre.
Allan

Edited by AllanMcD, 18 August 2010 - 06:23 PM.

#10 Gsybeach

Gsybeach

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:54 PM

Things are slightly different here! We have a sports libre class and a sports libre saloons class. We had supplementary regs written to allow several vehicles to run in this. It may be back in line with the UK next year.

#11 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:39 PM

gsybeach are fiberglass based shells road legal in guernsey?

for some reason dvs in jersey disallows them which is chuffin annoying!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users