7 replies to this topic

#1 jeo022

jeo022

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:41 PM

oh dear, sorry for cack title, how do we edit this?
Was after some advice on engines, my 1275 appears to be in a poorly way with lots white stuff in me oil!
Been offered a 1300 maestro engine for reasonable price, dont know much about these but have heard they are A+ series but the gearbox's are different?!?
Does any one know whether i can fit the old gearbox from my mini onto this engine relatively easily or will it not work?
cheers
joe

Edited by jeo022, 20 August 2010 - 06:45 PM.

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:15 PM

The Maestro/Montego 1300 block makes for a very good donor engine, however you do need to change the crank for a 'mini' one as the maestro one is more like a rwd version with the flywheel bolting onto a flange on the crank...

Apart from that it's a straight swap

I've built some fairly decent mini engines using the block, and they are also relatively cheap, last maestro engine I bought cost me about 25 quid and that was only a year or so ago...

Obviously the gearbox is of no use to man nor beast....

#3 jeo022

jeo022

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:27 PM

Cheers for that, yeah they seem pretty cheap compared to what mini and metro engines go for,
can i use the crank from the engine i have at the moment, its a 1275 from a metro,
and is this a relatively easy job? i'm no mechanic but am more than happy to tinker away with a set of spanners?!
Cheers again
joe

#4 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:15 PM

Sell the Maestro cranks (and the rear oil seal) to Morris Minor owners! Better still - tell me where I can get a 1275 Maestro engine for £25....... !

#5 jeo022

jeo022

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:56 PM

Just picked up me maestro engine! 40 quid seemed like a steal?!
Gonna start stripping down over the weekend, noticed that the oil filter screws into the block itself and has no housing?! is this gonna cause problem when fitting into the mini?

Was also wondering what kind of cam i could stick into this engine whilst i have it apart?! Am planning on keeping the webber 45 carb but have no idea what cam would suit? and does it make any difference that its a maestro block? would i need to fit a maestro cam or can i stick to a mini cam?

Thanks again

joe

#6 Auscar

Auscar

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:45 AM

possibly acquiring a maestro tomorrow, any progress on this topic? 

any help or a shopping list of parts would be greatly appreciated for a 

1987 1275 maestro engine?

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:55 AM

Once you're down to the bare block, the only difference which you need to be aware of is the oil filter... don't buy a mini oil filter as it'll not fit.

Treat everything else as if it were a mini/metro engine block.

#8 Auscar

Auscar

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:54 PM

thanks for the reply guessworks.

i read your posts late last night from a couple of years ago with that mini mag feature of the van and pickup with metro engines in them and quickly realized there was more to this topic e.g. where do i find a gearbox and crank for cheap? as the metro one belongs in the bin

went to see it this morning and the guy wouldn't budge on price enough despite knocking 300 quid off. the maestro was a gonner despite the "no advisory mot" conveniently taken by the garage i was buying it from, betty the previous owner for 11 years and the strong a+ low mileage engine. 

lessons learned from today are its definitely not a straight fit, its okay to walk away from a car if your only reason to buy is the engine and never allow a salesman to pressure you into spending more money you don't want to.

i did all of these things so i guess better luck next time right?

spotted an old timer with a clubby estate project just sat in a driveway doing nothing on the way home, light at the end of the tunnel?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users