7 replies to this topic

#1 YIANO

YIANO

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

ok fired her up this morning ,no fuel leaks no coolant leaks ,brought her up to temp coolingfan cuts in as ive set it all ok
clutchdown select first and mojo jerks forward with my foot still down on the clutch?
obviously clutch not disengaging correctly so re bled and still the same
slave cylinder under hydrolic pressure forces clutch arm forwards towards front of subframe despite additional spring installed to prevent this
so... should i remove the clutch arm again and turn it on its splines so the point of engagement is further towards the front of the subframe? will the slave cylinder pushrod have enough adjustment to accomadate this?in
anyone got any pics of their installation for reference?
advice and help please!!
gutted i was about to take her for a spin
cheers
jon

#2 Basky

Basky

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

ok fired her up this morning ,no fuel leaks no coolant leaks ,brought her up to temp coolingfan cuts in as ive set it all ok
clutchdown select first and mojo jerks forward with my foot still down on the clutch?
obviously clutch not disengaging correctly so re bled and still the same
slave cylinder under hydrolic pressure forces clutch arm forwards towards front of subframe despite additional spring installed to prevent this
so... should i remove the clutch arm again and turn it on its splines so the point of engagement is further towards the front of the subframe? will the slave cylinder pushrod have enough adjustment to accomadate this?in
anyone got any pics of their installation for reference?
advice and help please!!
gutted i was about to take her for a spin
cheers
jon

Gutted for you mate but keep upbeat simple solution I did the exact same just adjust the clutch arm slightly round on the splines hey presto! :angel:

#3 akaflash

akaflash

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

it will jerk into first gear, bikes do this, if it just does it when you select first, then clutch feels ok, i would say you have no problems

#4 YIANO

YIANO

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:00 AM

Yes I expected a jerky 1st gear by nature of the dog box but this issue is simply a clutch linkage issue , I guess it's one of a few teething problems go expect !!
I'll sort it out and try a run again

#5 YIANO

YIANO

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:27 AM

Update
ok I checked the clutch operation last night and removed the actuating arm off it's spline and rotated it a little . So now it comes to rest in line with the nut holding the upper engine cradle and at full throw it stops just before the nut for the towing eye above the tie bar
sadly this still isn't working . If I select 1st and hold my foot down on the clutch and turn her over mojo still jerks forward.
As I see it if I move the actuating arm again on to the next spline it will hit the towing eye bolt nut at full throw of the push rod
could someone please post a couple of pics up as I'm getting a little bit frustrated !
Thanks
Jon

#6 YIANO

YIANO

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:25 AM

Update II
problem found
too much slack in the system , I can't believe I missed that had the arm in completely the wrong place !!
Cheers to phil at Promotive for pointing me in the right direction .. Again !

#7 YIANO

YIANO

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:01 PM

Ok I've still got a clutch that won't disengage
I checked the slave cylinder and found a corrupt seal so a new one is on order
to eliminate errors in my setup method I'll list what I've done and maybe someone can spot something I'm missing as this issue is a pain !

1. Method of testing clutch engagement, 1st gear selected clutch pedal held down engine turned over car jerks forward clutch disengaged.
2. Lying under car looking up at r1 clutch arm , remove and turn splined end fully anti clockwise Towards front of subframe until it stops to remove slack in the system
Refit r1 clutch arm on splined end so arm is in line with suspension tie rod.
3. Refit pushrod and bleed

Am I making any errors? The slave cylinders throw may not have been enough due to air or leak but is anything else amiss With my method
does the engine have to be running for this operation I wouldn't have thought so but you never know
cheers
Jon

#8 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:56 AM

I found that there was no really way to gauge how much the clutch disengaged without the engine running. I always got a huge clunk and a jerk when shifting to first from N after starting (5PW), but after that, the clutch engaged and disengaged nicely. Don't count on being able to troubleshoot anything really though unless the car is running - seems the R1 clutch pack has quite a bit of drag on it when it's "dry"...

does the engine have to be running for this operation I wouldn't have thought so but you never know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users