Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

Posted Image

this looks sweet lol

Yes, indeed, but 8-ports me thinks, and no turbo. so a little OT for this thread.

7-ports are the perfect solution for the A-series. All engine internals remain the same, unlike 8-ports or k-heads (KAD heads are the exception) plus the 7-port also retains the 3-port exhaust, so all the stuff you have goes straight on.

So basically (with some planning) you could start a weekend with a carb'd 5-port and end with an injected 7-port. Not only improving power output, but better MPG and bug pub points!

#47 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:22 PM

Posted Image

this looks sweet lol

Yes, indeed, but 8-ports me thinks, and no turbo. so a little OT for this thread.

7-ports are the perfect solution for the A-series. All engine internals remain the same, unlike 8-ports or k-heads (KAD heads are the exception) plus the 7-port also retains the 3-port exhaust, so all the stuff you have goes straight on.

So basically (with some planning) you could start a weekend with a carb'd 5-port and end with an injected 7-port. Not only improving power output, but better MPG and bug pub points!

Will I saw this in this months miniworld, what are the injectors so far away?

#48 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:58 PM

sure i read somewhere it has 8 injectors, the injectors beyound the thrumpet openings are for higher rpm/ more engine load etc, some in sequentialy so your only ever firing 4 injectors at a time

#49 mattwho?

mattwho?

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:51 AM

Posted Image

this looks sweet lol

im leaning to inj agine (had a cooper) but if i go 7 port with inj is ther any point going turbo or will that be to much work???

#50 wolfie

wolfie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:04 AM

The plenum is alot of work, mine is taking alot of time.

Edited by wolfie, 24 September 2010 - 07:08 AM.

#51 Stafford

Stafford

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:18 PM

sure i read somewhere it has 8 injectors, the injectors beyound the thrumpet openings are for higher rpm/ more engine load etc, some in sequentialy so your only ever firing 4 injectors at a time

Yeah they are called stand off fuel injectors, search it on youtube, there are some mental vehicles with them and some individual throttle bodies.

#52 1293sleeper

1293sleeper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Local Club: i'll just stick with TMF

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:26 PM

i have been pondering the possibility of a 8port twin turbo, i know it would be a massive undertaking but if you could get it right it would be amazing.

#53 1293sleeper

1293sleeper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:30 PM

problems i have discovered so far is finding a suitable 8 port cam for forced induction (cant find any thing off the shelf) getting a manifold made for twin turbos that will fit in a mini and all fitting all the pipe work and twin intercoolers needed fo such a engine

#54 wolfie

wolfie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:38 AM

problems i have discovered so far is finding a suitable 8 port cam for forced induction (cant find any thing off the shelf) getting a manifold made for twin turbos that will fit in a mini and all fitting all the pipe work and twin intercoolers needed fo such a engine

really >_<

#55 george91

george91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:41 AM

It will be interesting to see what a 7 port turbo is really capable of once Joes is rebuilt, i'm following it on TM still. Also if anyone wants to see that SC k head with the 2 stage injection in action heres the dyno video.

#56 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:26 PM

LOL
there is no such thing as an off the shelf cam for an 8 port, they are all made from billets because of the lobes being in a different order, however, what this means is you can contact kent or piper cams and ask for a cam and they will make it for vertually the same price as a normal billet one.

twin turbo's and twin intercoolers.... WHY!!

#57 1293sleeper

1293sleeper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:13 PM

LOL
there is no such thing as an off the shelf cam for an 8 port, they are all made from billets because of the lobes being in a different order, however, what this means is you can contact kent or piper cams and ask for a cam and they will make it for vertually the same price as a normal billet one.

mainly twin intercoolers as the manifold design takes both turbos of to the side of the engine an to save on pipe work and to make sure pipe lengh was the same on both sides is why was planning twin intercoolers. The problem with the cam which i didn't explain very well is that no one seems to know what would be a good profile for such a build so hard to get one made. the idea behind twin turbos is 1-why the hell not and 2- it means i can use smaller turbos, probably from the 3cylnder honda which would give less lag than one large turbo.

Edited by 1293sleeper, 29 September 2010 - 08:18 PM.

#58 mattwho?

mattwho?

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:22 PM

LOL

mainly twin intercoolers as the manifold design takes both turbos of to the side of the engine an to save on pipe work and to make sure pipe lengh was the same on both sides is why was planning twin intercoolers. The problem with the cam which i didn't explain very well is that no one seems to know what would be a good profile for such a build so hard to get one made. the idea behind twin turbos is 1-why the hell not and 2- it means i can use smaller turbos, probably from the 3cylnder honda which would give less lag than one large turbo.

thats what i like about minis people doing it difrent!!!

#59 1293sleeper

1293sleeper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:36 PM

its not worth trying most of the time as if you don't have all the skill needed to do it and ask for help people just take the yellow water, most people are stuck in there ways and if they haven't done some thing they think it can't be done.

Edited by 1293sleeper, 29 September 2010 - 08:48 PM.

#60 mattwho?

mattwho?

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:01 AM

i would love to see it done mate would be wicked to say yyou have a twin turbo mini

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users