13 replies to this topic

#1 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:45 PM

My red runners looking a little grim...the engine bay will be sorted in the major re-spray I have planned for later on next year ( as this time in the year sees frost getting into the garage :angry: ) but theres things that can be done during these harsh winter moments...errr i mean months :thumbsup: Also wish to pump a bit more out of it...so the to the list:

- Stage 1 LCB full exhaust kit
- Cone air filter ( remove the plastic brick)
- New rocker cover and attempt at cleaning carb
- New pedal pads (metal clamp over)
- 4 bank of Wipacs
- New Union Jack GB number plates and chrome surounds.
- Internal release grille.

Totalling the £350 mark, this'll be a large one for my bank account in the space of only one month. Begining pictures this evening with any luck :angry:

#2 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:08 AM

Added to the list as of yesturday following a chat with a lovely 20 year old brunnete called Sandra who works at The Mini Shack, Rugby (she has such a nice voice) :angry:

Clear Lense kit

River Kwai Airhorn Kit.

Delivery is expected today, so my dad will no doubt throw a wobbly when I get home for not telling him :thumbsup:

Pictures didn't get here in the end...weather outside last night was appauling so didnt attemp to run to the Garage. Will try again today :grin:

#3 gsms

gsms

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:01 PM

ooh so where are these photos?

#4 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:01 PM

Lol camera permitting (charging as I speak). I get home at 6:30 peps so pictures are more nocturnal than daytime. :tongue:

The parts arrived today within an incredible 14 hours of ordering!! :angry:

Part names are:

4 Bank - Wipac of course.
Air Filter - Simota
Air Horns - Stebel
Chrome surrounds...Recycle-able and ABS?
Everything else is unbranded save for the Mini Pedals.

The exhaust has yet to arrive, hopefully tommorow. The grille isnt in picture but will be later on up in the garage. :grin:

Attached Files

#5 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:56 AM

OK here we go..I tired to write this up at 12 last night but kinda fell asleep at the keyboard after being up with the mini till 11 (I must be mad).

It was osme of the worst wind and rain last night that we've had in a while, and instead of taking shelter in the house, I was with my beloved Red Runner, giving it some well earnt treats. The garage floor was soaking wet form it being driven through the rain, and it was pretty cold too - perfect conditions for mini modding!

So a look up front with the grille already gone:

Posted Image

I'm not fussed about hiding number plates - its the same as covering up number plates in a car park - there's no real point. So yep theres the Anchor of Slowness - its a pretty neatish bay, the foam paddings all but gone on the near side, and half the bay is still metalic green.

Money (or lack of) shot:

Posted Image

The air box is the first to go, along with the addition of the chrome surrounds. As you can see the right-angled doodad is not cone-filter compliant...gotta go.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then off with the head - the rocker cover had been near fused to the block after a run in with lack of water. The bolts where glued on by the bubber spacers and the cork gasket was near black and bubbly...all of it thankfully was removed in one piece. In its place, a nice new t-bar'd rocker cover.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Will put some more up later. :thumbsup:

#6 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:07 PM

Looks very very nice! why did you change the colour?

#7 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 02:23 PM

Wasnt me!

The previous owner did a lengthy hand painting job...but it was a quick job more for sale im sure - the engine bay was partially left, and nothing was removed from the car except for lights when he painted it - I removed the window seal to put new ones in..to find the windows underneath were still metallic green, and the inside has shades of red where hes either slipped or didnt cover properly. Needs a complete re-spray really. but untill then I'll live with it.

#8 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:45 AM

UPDATE!

Bought in some heavy handed weapons to ocmbat the sidelight issue - a 5 pack of metal files and a new wrench (as mine was out of a christmas cracker 2 years ago ).

So off came the lens once more and off came the rubber sealing stuff:

Posted Image

The result was the rubber sealant had bonded to the paintwork. Time to get out the hammerite methinks. So with more filing and hard work the sidelight was fixed. No more nails was applied to the gap for a more colour co-ordinated look.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thankfully the otherside required much less rubber removal. Within minutes the side was clear of the black stuff and in with the red stuff.

Posted Image

This time the sidelight went in unharmed...I decided to push for a bigger hole this time...wait does that sound right? :cool:

Posted Image

After this the grille was replaced, and the engine turned over. Due to my lack of engineering skills I was waiting for the rocker cover gasket to be ripped to shreds...thankfully it didnt quite go that way :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:06 AM

Looks very good that grill looks right there... what fan is that tho?

#10 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 12:54 PM

My pride and joy that fan.

Dowty Variable Pitch Autofan. Original racing/rally part increases performance, decreases warm up time and changes the pitch of the fan at high speed to aid cooling. It kicks but compared to standard :thumbsup:

#11 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:09 PM

Damn i saw one of those on ebay a while back and left it :thumbsup:

#12 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:53 PM

:thumbsup: probably that very one..that or it was a yellow one...

UPDATE - after thinking that tightening the return spring by half a turn would improve the return on the accelerator pedal, it seems I was oh so wrong. Took it for a drive up and down the Porlock Straight - a piece of road 5 miles long with a few bends here and there with national speed limit regs, and no 30/40 zones - perfect piece of practise road and not too far from home. The mini was fine overall except me having to manually return the acellerator with my foot. :)

He's now in the garage cooling down so I can adjust the spring without threat of being cooked on an intake manfold :thumbsup:

#13 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 03:32 PM

It looked exactly like that and it had a little scratch on one of the fins.

#14 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:59 AM

Sorry not to update...been busy at work and play :thumbsup: . Red Runner is now sorted in the return spring dept., and the exhaust will be arriving today. With any luck I'll getu p to the village garage - theres a Morris Minor enthusiast who restores them up there, so I'll see if I can borrow his car lift. This will allow for the air filter and the exhaust replacment all at once. :grin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users