#1 tom crits

tom crits

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Local Club: minis unlimited

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:17 PM

Sorry if this has been asked before but i tried a search and didnt find what i was looking for.

In simple. Ive started to sell some things so that I can make progress on the min min and do an engine conversion. I'm currently helping a friend put a B series V tec into his. I'm just looking for some advice really on each and suggestions on which would be best. So Vtec, redtop, swift.....

I'm wanting to keep it all tucked in a standard length round nose with a flip front obviously for ease. Some say the B series fits some say it doesn't. I love the idea of a bike enigned mini but i think it will involve too much dollar.

Any advice is really appreciated with stories of yours or whatever really!

Thanks, Tom.

#2 leaky

leaky

Iv never hit a penguin in the face with a casserole

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,890 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:21 PM

A swift engine will fit in a standard round nose. I'v been thinking of doing this to mine at some point although I'm still unsure. Vtec is probably the easiest and cheapest to do as its been done so many times and their a few diffrent kits you can buy. Although as far as I know only the 1.4 fits in a standard round nose. Anything bigger and you will need to put and extended front of a clubby front on.

#3 george91

george91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:23 PM

With conversions i guess its what best suits what you want, power, reliability, economy etc, honda or vauxhall seem to be the most popular. What i've heard with bike engines are that if you want to use it anymore than just weekend driving then something else will be better, very loud and high maintainance.

Edited by george91, 31 August 2010 - 09:24 PM.

#4 a1dan mini

a1dan mini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

A swift engine will fit in a standard round nose. I'v been thinking of doing this to mine at some point although I'm still unsure. Vtec is probably the easiest and cheapest to do as its been done so many times and their a few diffrent kits you can buy. Although as far as I know only the 1.4 fits in a standard round nose. Anything bigger and you will need to put and extended front of a clubby front on.

Do you mean swiftune? if you do how much are they to buy???

#5 george91

george91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

Do you mean swiftune? if you do how much are they to buy???

As in a suzuki swift engine.

#6 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

Although as far as I know only the 1.4 fits in a standard round nose. Anything bigger and you will need to put and extended front of a clubby front on.

you can fit the the bigger engines b16a2 b18 etc in a standard front but it takes alot of work

#7 minidream94

minidream94

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:42 PM

ive got a picture of a b18 turbo engine shoehorned under a standard roundnose :thumbsup:

Attached File  turbo_b18.jpg   87.21K   66 downloads

Here's a video i also found of another turbo 1800 under standard roundnose

EDIT: add link and text

Edited by minidream94, 31 August 2010 - 09:46 PM.

#8 jkjaxor

jkjaxor

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:50 PM

and is this without any mods to the bulkhead??
jack

#9 george91

george91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

Although as far as I know only the 1.4 fits in a standard round nose. Anything bigger and you will need to put and extended front of a clubby front on.

you can fit the the bigger engines b16a2 b18 etc in a standard front but it takes alot of work

If you have the money you can buy a gianni potenza sub frame wich takes some honda engines, Gianni has a d16 in his speedster which uses a standard steel front, although it is removable.

Edited by george91, 31 August 2010 - 09:51 PM.

#10 minidream94

minidream94

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:33 PM

doesnt the allspeed subframe fit under a standard steel front? i think the only mod to the mulkhead if for the inlet manifold, iirc

#11 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:36 PM

every honda conversion ive ever seen has either had the bulkhead modified or been extended to allow space.
The vuaxhall, and R1 engine conversions can both be done without majour bulkhead modifications (talking drilling holes for new wires and linkages)
Although with the vuaxhall, most people install a small bulkhead box under the cross member to allow clearance for the gear linakage, but the gearbox can be modified so the bulkhead box isnt needed.

#12 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

You'll have no problem fitting the Allspeed Vtec frame in a standard roundnose but will need to cut the bulkhead for intake. You will have big problems finding the space for the alternator, radiator etc unless you're up for a challenge and getting the engine in there.

Edited by GreaseMonkey, 31 August 2010 - 10:46 PM.

#13 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:49 AM

The CG13 (Micra) engine is one I'm keen on. No body mods needed, a little dent in the bulkhead is all. So all the money you'd need to buy and paint a flip front and get coil overs can go on moding the engine instead! Remap, manifolds and some cams and it'll have around 110-120hp (according to micra forums I've read).

Of course no one makes subframes for this, so either you'll need to weld or know someone who can who owes you a favour. Then some drive sharfts and Roberts your mothers brother (note: sequence may have been shortened for advertising purposes).

#14 minimad01

minimad01

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:18 AM

not forgetting the k series witch is becoming qiute popular an you can use metro front running gear but you will need a clubby front or extened

#15 project mini chris

project mini chris

have a break, have a...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Designer Register

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:25 AM

KAD 16v Head on an A-series block is quite popular but if i had the 4k to spend on it i'd rather go vauxhall powered or suzuki...

Hasn't a fiat uno turbo conversion been done yet? that would be interesting :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users