306 replies to this topic

#16 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:45 PM

Maybe there are allot of BMW shows which invite the classic comunity, unfortunatly, they are not publisised on here, so not many of the classic comunity know about them.

Why not make a callender of MINI events which welcome the classics, and post it up on here, its no good on mini2.com as not many of us will see it, i will happily go and see what it is like.

Edited by Burnard, 07 September 2010 - 02:47 PM.

#17 ricky_mini

ricky_mini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:53 PM

my experience of MINI drivers:

MINI owner: is that yours?
me: yes
MINI owner: why have you got that? couldnt you afford a proper one?
me: I have got a proper one, why have you got that? cant you handle a real car?
MINI owner: *laughs* but seriously, wouldnt you rather have one of these? they're so much better
me: errrr no......

so until someone persuades me otherwise, sorry. its an alright car, but its not a mini.

#18 dave585

dave585

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Local Club: Carry on mini'in

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:58 PM

Maybe there are allot of BMW shows which invite the classic comunity, unfortunatly, they are not publisised on here, so not many of the classic comunity know about them.

Why not make a callender of MINI events which welcome the classics, and post it up on here, its no good on mini2.com as not many of us will see it, i will happily go and see what it is like.

There are not that many new mini shows just- New mini day june 2011 all minis are welcome, Mad about mini show a new mini show in july2011 classics are welcome to both.
There is the gaydon bmw/mini show buts always on the same day as mitp.

#19 dave585

dave585

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:02 PM

my experience of MINI drivers:

MINI owner: is that yours?
me: yes
MINI owner: why have you got that? couldnt you afford a proper one?
me: I have got a proper one, why have you got that? cant you handle a real car?
MINI owner: *laughs* but seriously, wouldnt you rather have one of these? they're so much better
me: errrr no......

so until someone persuades me otherwise, sorry. its an alright car, but its not a mini.

sorry but thats nothing to the very abusive comments that go the other way, Try being a called names that you wouldnt hear on tv or threats of damage to cars myself and others have have, then come back to me

#20 cherryblossom

cherryblossom

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Local Club: medievil minis

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:08 PM

to be honest i think are just gonna agree to disagree on certain people on both sides

#21 tadleysimon

tadleysimon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Local Club: basingstoke mini club

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:33 PM

the only time the bmw / mini divide will fall will be in 40 years time when the MINI has become a classic and therefore earned its name.

sorry

Edited by tadleysimon, 07 September 2010 - 04:34 PM.

#22 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:54 PM

My problem is that personally I do not see a MINI as a mini. We have a 1960 mini and a 2000 mini and when you put them together you can see that basically they are the same car, the car that I love! MINIs don't look like minis to me, so I am not interested in seeing them at a show. I am as interested/not interested in them as I am in corsas, saxos or any other car. However, as I consider them irrelevant to me I just ignore them at shows so I'm not that bothered having them there. I only get a little annoyed when they sneak in my photos of mini as I don't want them in photos (as I don't want corsa, saxos etc in my photos!) To be honest, I am a little more than annoyed that they are in my 2.5' by 3.5' of aerial shot of last years L2B! It's a great photo, but for me would have been better without MINIs in - just not interested by them, they are not my passion!

However, I do not like to see people abused and sadly I have seen general abuse towards MINI owners at several shows. I thought the behaviour of the some of the crowd at this years Southern Mini Days towards MINI owners was very poor. I felt for a couple with a MINI who when they discovered that my husband works a Plant Oxford, rushed over to him as if he was a lost friend as they had experienced continual negative comments about MINIs. It just reflects very badly on the mini scene and embarrasses me. To be honest, we have only experienced lovely MINI owners, interested in our minis and pleased to talk to us about them. They are relieved when they discover that my husdand works for MINI as they are apprehensive about the abuse they might get from us.

We can have all the debates we want about MINI employing x amount of British people, the way BMW has treated mini suppliers, that MINI is keeping the mini name alive, the fact that MINI is a good car built in the UK etc, but at the end of the day, to me, a MINI does not look like a mini - it really is as simple as that! (it also doesn't breakdown like one, leak like one, etc - all of which for some mad and bizarre reason just makes me love them more!)

#23 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

Don't get the point of this.

Classic mini = Dos 3.1

Bmw mini = windows millennium

Both use the same name but worlds apart.

Good luck with what your doing but going be very hard work till a patch is bought out ,pmsl.

Dont dislike MINIS or the owners , just dislike Bmw and will never by a bmw car fullstop!!.

Edited by ukcooper, 07 September 2010 - 04:59 PM.

#24 miniman44

miniman44

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:24 PM

I apologise for this morning,maybe I went a bit OTT,yet.Yet if all the BMWs had been removed from the Mini parking area,club stands and the show proper,it would have looked a tad empty.Can someone tell me,how many MINI's were there in that clever,Study in Grey.
JB is having her pre winter service so I arrived on The Angel and had to park in the non Mini area.A friend from Wales is slowly re-building her Mini so got a lift in a Corsa,they had to park in the same place.But where were the BMWs.
The Angel would,I'm sure,have come 3rd in the loudest Mini competition,but she wouldn't have been allowed in.I know a guy whose trike would have been well placed in the sound off.Gotterdammerung at full volume,especially going through a tunnel,is something to be heard.
Psst.I've heard a rumour that Renault are after the Elf and Hornet names,but maybe thats just a LFP I hear.
On further thought,I would have gone to Lutterworth Sunday,but as a mate said,State pension divided by petrol = not enough cash.lol.

All the grey minis were the gp club uk, they were there rasing maoney for cancer reserch after gp mike who was big in the mini world died this year with cancer.

Cheers Dave,they looked really smart,and not a spot of rust in sight. :(

#25 miniman44

miniman44

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:32 PM

well done dave585 for trying to bridge the gap between the two scenes! whatever has happened in the past is precisely that, in the past, there is nothing we can do to change that.

There will always be those on both sides that stir up hate, let them. if they cant move on then fine, just keep promoting the United theme and i think things will slowly begin to change.

its time to start taking things less seriously and just enjoy our automobiles, no matter what shape or size! ( well apart from saxos, i mean c'mon, theres a limit :()

I'm not stirring up hate,I just think BMWs have no place in classic Mini events.One of these days I'll cadge a ride in one. :)

#26 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:41 PM

The only reason BMW sells a MINI is because they bought the right to the name. The car is not a mini, it is an ordinary car with the name of a classic. BMW use the name purely to try and cash in on the heritage of the mini.....why didn't they call it the Allegro, in size it is nearer that car than the mini. The mini is a classic British designed and built classic car. The BMW is not. The MINI/mini united movement is nothing more than an attempt to justify the use of the name mini.

#27 jinjrich

jinjrich

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Local Club: YMMOC

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:48 PM

A MINI is not a mini. End of. The name is the only similarity. the MINI is a nice car if you like that kind of thing, and i have no ill feeling toward them, but having them at mini shows is as daft as inviting Golf owners. Sorry.

#28 danrock101

danrock101

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:57 PM

Classic mini owners can be embarrassing when it comes to hurling abuse at Bini owners, OK they're not the same as classic minis and they're not exactly mini but so what? It's getting a bit extreme, nothing wrong with a bit of micky taking and fair enough if you genuinely don't like the car but there's no need to take it on the owners, all of the MINI owners at mini shows obviously have a genuine interest in the classics, most probably have a classic mini but it's broken down. I do agree that they sort of spoil pictures but you'll live, if I had a MINI I wouldn't even park it in the non mini car park for fear of it getting vandalized! Yes, I guess there's ****s that own MINIs but I have yet to meet one, I've certainly met quite a few ****s that own classic minis, but mainly very nice people so that makes up for it.

#29 dave585

dave585

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:58 PM

The only reason BMW sells a MINI is because they bought the right to the name. The car is not a mini, it is an ordinary car with the name of a classic. BMW use the name purely to try and cash in on the heritage of the mini.....why didn't they call it the Allegro, in size it is nearer that car than the mini. The mini is a classic British designed and built classic car. The BMW is not. The MINI/mini united movement is nothing more than an attempt to justify the use of the name mini.

Sorry mate it's nothing to do with that and I don't like the implication that it is. Mini/mini united was set up by our mini club and has nothing to do with BMW at all. It was done so our members can enjoy shows without the crap they have to put up with! And this is from classic owners with in the club.

#30 scrumpymini

scrumpymini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local Club: NSMOC

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:14 PM

Agree 100% with this, BMW MINI's would be better suited to going to modified modern car shows and not classic car/mini shows.
If I wanted to see a BMW then it is easy to pop to one of their showrooms, I do like the small BMW but to me it will never be a mini, what will they do next how about a Capri.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users