#16 CAU998

CAU998

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Local Club: TMF South Central...

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:22 PM

Rear subframes cost roughly £70-80 new but my new one shown below which i got second hand had everything on it for £20 and it is in excellent condition.When i bought it, it only had standard components not shown below, but it would have still bolted straight on no problem.

#17 CAU998

CAU998

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:27 PM

An example of what you can get...

rear subby

#18 Yamis

Yamis

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:05 PM

Nice one... so that one you picked up for £20 was new?! Bargin if so.

So many, many options with this :thumbsup: :erm:

So you recon this is a good way to tackle it? Rebuild engine first or the best way to do it just to buy the whole thing and tackle at once? Any tips on where and what to start first?

Suppose it's just a case of - I've got loads of questions but don't know what they are.

But I've got a few things to think about now. Suppose if I find a half finished project with a decent 1000/1100 might as well leave it in whther its leaded/unleaded.

Thanks for being so helpful you lot, you really know you're Mini's :grin:

#19 CAU998

CAU998

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:08 PM

Yeah buying a half-finished project is where you can usually find a bargain. Especially if welding if needed was done as that can get very expensive as mines going to cost £300-400 but mines very rusty. Id say tackle the main structure of the car first i.e. Subframes and bodywork as mechanically you shouldn't find many problems if any. The front subframes are usually pretty good as oil and grease from the engine/gearbox and other components help to prevent rust occuring. Hope that helps!

(P.S my rear subby wasn't new but was in immaculate condition and i have reconditioned it using good old sandpaper/grinder and some hammerite but i had to recon the radius arms ( which hold hubs brakes etc.) but this is really just a safety precaution.)

#20 shifty438

shifty438

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:57 PM

when looking for a mini dont rush take your time, before i got mine i looked a loads, wanted a mk1, but couldnt warrent the money for a good 1, i went to look at the car, it looked fasntastic, spent 2hrs looking at it, found out that healboard was rottern, floor was on its way and scuttle had been fillered, rottern underneath, glad i had a really good goose at it as i would of bnought a real turkey, needing loads of work,

parts are genuarlly cheap, find most bits down breakers, or on the site, as we all amass loads of bits

just take your time and u will find the right car :cheese:

#21 Yamis

Yamis

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:55 PM

Cheers folks. Gonna pop down to Hudderfield Mini Spares sometime and see what projects they've got. They "should" be straight with me at least and I'll get an idea of what I'm looking for.

#22 Don't Panic

Don't Panic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:39 PM

Good luck mate, I recently got my first mini, i went for someone elses project, which had allot done (so cost me a fair bit) but it lets me do the interior and the odd bit under the bonnet when needed so i learn what im doing.

I would reccomend taking your time finding your mini, more time you take more likely you will find a bargain.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users