I plan to keep this forever so I want to do it right

DSC_2840a.jpg

Here she was when I started

22082010497.jpg

Front end is shot

22082010498.jpg

28082010510.jpg

Hole in the boot floor!

I want to do this project once and do it right.

Bought new floor panels, sills, steps etc.

Now for my first question, both sub frames are really good, I want to strip them, rub them down and paint them up, but what would people paint them with to protect them?????

#2 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:22 PM

Well, here's the project!

Now for my first question, both sub frames are really good, I want to strip them, rub them down and paint them up, but what would people paint them with to protect them?????

If they are that good I would get them shot blasted and powder coated

#3 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:23 PM

Will it not chip off?

#4 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:27 PM

Will it not chip off?

Not as easily as hammerite.
What is your budget? You could get them stove enameled, zinc coated or galvanized?

#5 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:29 PM

Will it not chip off?

What is your budget? You could get them stove enameled, zinc coated or galvanized?

Thanks, I may look into prices! I'd rather do it right once, than end up having to replace them 5 years down the line, even if it costs a few extra quid!

#6 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:32 PM

Will it not chip off?

Keep the pictures coming, looks like a good project.

What are your plans?

Thanks, I may look into prices! I'd rather do it right once, than end up having to replace them 5 years down the line, even if it costs a few extra quid!

#7 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:00 PM

Sorry you will have to forgive my ignorance and curiosity here...... why have you retained the near side end of the front panel and chopped out a section of the near side wing as opposed to fully removing like you have on the off side?

Also I agree with going for the best possible protection on the rear subby, but as for the front... I can't see why you would bother removing it and coating it with anything (that is unless your going for the whole concourse thing I suppose!), mine has no additional coating and still looks pretty much like it did when it rolled off the production line (but maybe that's just due to the protective qualities of a 17 year old oil leak!) :P

#8 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:26 PM

Sorry you will have to forgive my ignorance and curiosity here...... why have you retained the near side end of the front panel and chopped out a section of the near side wing as opposed to fully removing like you have on the off side?

Also I agree with going for the best possible protection on the rear subby, but as for the front... I can't see why you would bother removing it and coating it with anything (that is unless your going for the whole concourse thing I suppose!), mine has no additional coating and still looks pretty much like it did when it rolled off the production line (but maybe that's just due to the protective qualities of a 17 year old oil leak!) :)

That's halfway through the removal !

And the front sub frame is out anyway, so thought I'd give it a lick of something in case I don't build the standard oil leak into the engine

Posted Image

Is this better?

Edited by Carlos W, 16 September 2010 - 07:34 PM.

#9 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:39 AM

Ah ha!!.... that would be the reason for it then!! ...... as for the oil leak, don't worry if you've missed it off of your list of planned modifications/ to do list :D I'm sure one will be along before too long to protect your front subby from any significant corrosion!

#10 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:55 PM

Ah ha!!.... that would be the reason for it then!! ...... as for the oil leak, don't worry if you've missed it off of your list of planned modifications/ to do list :D I'm sure one will be along before too long to protect your front subby from any significant corrosion!

That's very good of it!

#11 caddydaddy

caddydaddy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:00 AM

Mate get your subframes painted in 2 pack black. Far and away stronger and more flexible than powder coating. Powder coating is ok whilst it stays blemish free but if you get rust under it it will come off in sheets!! Either that or try plastic coating but 2 pack is best VFM.

Tim

#12 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:17 PM

A few more pics

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 daveeeeee

daveeeeee

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:21 PM

Hi mate, like the sound of doing it right!

But please get yourself some gloves (gauntlets) and wear that face mask every time you use the grinder or anything that flings hot or cold metal. No point having a car if you can't see! Whilst I'm on the safety trip you might as well get some ear defenders, it's far less tiring for some reason when your ears aren't getting battered by an angle grinder/hammer etc

Regarding the subframe, underseal over powdercoating is probs your best bet, it'll look tidy if you get it right but not pretty ^^ If you use the right brand it'll set slightly soft but dry, less likely to chip and should protect the coats underneath a bit better - layer it on.

Look forward to progress!

Edited by daveeeeee, 18 October 2010 - 04:24 PM.

#14 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:35 PM

Hi mate, like the sound of doing it right!

But please get yourself some gloves (gauntlets) and wear that face mask every time you use the grinder or anything that flings hot or cold metal. No point having a car if you can't see! Whilst I'm on the safety trip you might as well get some ear defenders, it's far less tiring for some reason when your ears aren't getting battered by an angle grinder/hammer etc

Regarding the subframe, underseal over powdercoating is probs your best bet, it'll look tidy if you get it right but not pretty ^^ If you use the right brand it'll set slightly soft but dry, less likely to chip and should protect the coats underneath a bit better - layer it on.

Look forward to progress!

The stupid thing is, I've got gloves, and a mask! And you're completely right about ear defenders, I'll use the foam motorbike ones I've got!

And yes, you're right!

I like the idea of the soft dry for the sub frames

#15 daveeeeee

daveeeeee

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

It applies with an orange peel effect, which is good because when you scrape it up fitting it or want to touch it up later, it's easy to do with a cut down brush ^^

Subscribed :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users