202 replies to this topic

#166 minimikej

minimikej

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:53 PM

Been a while since I last updated anything, but there's been a new addition to the family and a house move. That said, a fair bit of progress has been made.

Chris and Steve at North West Mini Centre have done a great job with prep and paint and refurbed a set of 100+ minilites for me

2015-12-07%2014.48.23_zpsalaguzj7.jpg

2015-12-07%2014.48.22-2_zps8bixq1a7.jpg

I am now trying to put an engine and box together. I have a 12g1128 4 synchro remote box with immaculate gears I bought off ebay but it's been left standing and the layshaft and laygear are all mashed up unfortunately.

IMAG2727_zpsjjh0hewv.jpg#

IMAG2728_zpsmksajvgo.jpg

The interior bearing surface of the laygear is ruined at the flywheel end unfortunately and the laygear itself has no markings apart from 'M E' stamped along the body.

BOTH those rollers came from the flywheel end. Is this normal? There are indications that the box has been built for a performance engine: Central oil pickup and magnetic traps in the sump plug, front plug AND the pickup pipe union, can post pics tomorrow.

Can anybody advise as to what part numbers I need (Laygear, layshaft and needle rollers)? I'm guessing the bearing surface cannot be machined and re-sleeved?

Cheers. And a Happy New Year :)

#167 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:34 PM

Need more photos of painted shell.....looks great by the way........

#168 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:37 PM

Looking really good Mike nice to see some more progress :) keep the pics coming...

#169 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:08 AM

The laygear should have 2 bearings one end and one the other end. It's a good idea to replace the layshaft when you have it apart anyway, they normally wear on one side. The laygear is either a standard 22G297 or possibly the Cooper S ratio 22G1040. There is sometimes the part number stamped on the laygear, they have the same number of teeth. The way to tell would be to count the number of teeth on the first motion shaft (4th gear). The standard ones have 17 teeth and the Cooper S have 18. You can see the part number here:

http://www.guess-wor...play.htm?id=243

There is a bit of choice in the layshaft, but you need a 4 synchro pre A+ version, something like this

http://www.guess-wor...play.htm?id=177

The bearings you can get from most places too. You need 2 of the larger ones and one of the smaller

http://www.guess-wor...play.htm?id=183

http://www.guess-wor...play.htm?id=168

#170 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:13 AM

Agree with above need more pics of the shell as looking really good.

#171 minimikej

minimikej

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:20 PM

Thanks timmy850, that's a great help. Will be in touch with Guessworks.

Here's some pics of the car I took tonight. Not great but the best I could do for now.

IMAG2732_zpsl7pmjm7f.jpg

IMAG2733_zpsgejmrwyx.jpg

IMAG2735_zpswnop8l8q.jpg

IMAG2736_zps89nbtwaq.jpg

And here are some of the gearbox I'm trying to fix. Not seen magnetic traps in these pkaces before:

IMAG2741_zpsvsli85ir.jpg

IMAG2742_zpsneajwqrn.jpg

Here are a couple of close-ups of the layshaft / laygear damage

IMAG2740_zpsexhdpocd.jpg

IMAG2738_zpsbk6m9jez.jpg

Finally, the only marking on the laygear. But since it has 15-20-25-29 teeth I assume it's a standard 22g927.

IMAG2737_zps4rgaj3xv.jpg

Finally, I've noticed that without the main bearing retainer in place (which I had to remove to access the laygear) the main bearing itself can be moved left and right in its housing with finger pressure. The bearing itself shows no sign of play so I'm guessing the box itself has had a hard life. Is the casing effectively scrap? Could I loctite the main bearing in place? Or should I cut my losses? I have another recent recon 12g1128 box on the original 850 unit but I didn't want to split the engine from the box unless I absolutely had to because of the inevitable dirt and corrosion that will follow.

Cheers

#172 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:35 PM

Finally, the only marking on the laygear. But since it has 15-20-25-29 teeth I assume it's a standard 22g927.

Cheers

The Cooper S laygear has the same amount of teeth, but the diameter of the 29 tooth gear is a different size. The easy way to check is to count the teeth on the 4th gear, as it definitely sounds like someone has been fiddling with it in the past and could be either! The couple of gearboxes I've been messing with all had tight fitting main bearings, and the two shafts would need to be nice and solid and parallel. I don't know if loctitie will be sufficient to keep it together? I'm no expert though.

You can always strip this one bare and bolt the 850 engine to it to keep the engine clean? Then the recon box can go on the new engine

#173 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:03 AM

If memory serves, ME is the close ratio laygear. Guessworks will know for sure.

#174 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:42 PM

I think you are needing a new laygear setup

#175 ace01

ace01

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:14 AM

If memory serves, ME is the close ratio laygear. Guessworks will know for sure.

Exactly what I was going to say. :shades:

#176 mini_matt_106

mini_matt_106

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:48 AM

Great read but so many missing pictures and you know we love progress pics!
Even with 12month gaps between updates it's great to see you managed to get the shell sorted in the end!
Love the colour by the way!

#177 minimikej

minimikej

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:50 PM

The laygear should have 2 bearings one end and one the other end. It's a good idea to replace the layshaft when you have it apart anyway, they normally wear on one side. The laygear is either a standard 22G297 or possibly the Cooper S ratio 22G1040. There is sometimes the part number stamped on the laygear, they have the same number of teeth. The way to tell would be to count the number of teeth on the first motion shaft (4th gear). The standard ones have 17 teeth and the Cooper S have 18. You can see the part number here:

http://www.guess-wor...play.htm?id=243

There is a bit of choice in the layshaft, but you need a 4 synchro pre A+ version, something like this

http://www.guess-wor...play.htm?id=177

The bearings you can get from most places too. You need 2 of the larger ones and one of the smaller

http://www.guess-wor...play.htm?id=183

http://www.guess-wor...play.htm?id=168

Ah, well that's very interesting. I've just been to check and the 4th gear definitely has 18 teeth. So that makes is an S gear seat I guess? There's literally zero wear on the gear set so it would be a shame not to use what I have.

Cheers

#178 minimikej

minimikej

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:46 AM

Ok. So I looked on ebay and found a possible replacement. Unmarked, new old stock. Quite cheap so took a gamble.

The diameter of the old 29 tooth gear:
IMAG2753_zpsih1xh3az.jpg

The diameter of the new 29 tooth gear:

IMAG2754_zpscllhi4em.jpg

so nearly 2mm larger.

Can anybody cross check against another standard 4 synchro laygear to help me find out what I have?

Assuming this is a standard 4 synchro laygear I suppose I could change the input gear to match?

Cheers

(I've just messaged Guessworks by the way for some help)

Edited by minimikej, 09 January 2016 - 11:58 AM.

#179 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:58 PM

Anymore progress on this mike?

#180 minimikej

minimikej

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:49 PM

Anymore progress on this mike?

A bit; On its wheels and steerable, gearbox and diff rebuilt, engine beginning strip down, handbrake system refitted, doors mounted, bootlid mounted. Glass next.

So quite a lot then I guess after all :)

Will get some pics up eventually...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users