49 replies to this topic

#16 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:18 PM

Elmo, I understand what you mean but there are no two sides to this story. Everything in my post is factual.

Steve well and truly knew all along nothing was being done to the car but still wasted my time telling me things were moving ahead. We can go into little more details if you want, towards the end when I was finding out the truth, Steve still asked for two weeks to finish off the paint on the mini, what do you think he was going to be doing then? Once I had found out, he had nothing to say, you ask for details and he obviously does his best to evade the truth. I admit to putting to much trust into him and not following things up when I had suspicions but that is the mistake I made, does that justify the lies and false claims he made? Once he knew I wanted to collect my shell and I knew he was lying he still delayed me a week? Made it difficult for me to arrange collection as he claimed he had something on or he had to move units and a friend had my shell? It was still on his friends trailer? He had to go to Scotland for work? It suddenly was dropped off back to his unit after I found out the truth?

When discussing delivery after the first time he let me down, I made it full well clear that we had a tractor unit off the road and I needed to be there to help and make sure the auto electrician arrived so please do not mess me around etc I rearranged the auto electrician who was supposed to come the day of delivery to the evening and he had to come out of hours meaning I spent my evening there, if you were in Steve's shoes would you let that person go ahead with rearranging things like so when you knew the truth? He obviously thought his pathetic text I have pictured would mean I could run around the same morning and rearrange everything again and it is only on the that morning I found out my Brother had taken the day off work to help out with the delivery of the shell thus wasting his day.

Sending me a picture of someone elses shell? What was he thinking?

I doubt you will hear another side to the story because there is none, you'll only find Steve claiming he had a lot of work on or how he meant to start, I'm sorry but after all them months you still do not admit to having even started? I asked him numerous times at the end have you even started work on the shell to which he claimed it was ready for paint? This is if you even get a reply off Steve on here, which going by how he acts, I doubt it.

The day of collection, I fully believed after travelling all the way that I would be faced with my shell that had not been painted but at least all the welding and bodywork done, how do you think I felt when he came up to the window of the van, shook my hand, handed me an envelope with a cheque in it and said my Mk2 hadn't even been started? On the phone when I found out the truth he believed that we could all walk away from this no problems? Keeping in mind at this stage he still had me believing it only needed paint?

What he has done is well out of order and not justifiable in any way. At the end of the day, we all share the same interest but to do that to someone?

It's not only me, usually it only takes one person to speak out and then you will find other people who have had a similar experience come out and share their side of the story.

#17 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:46 PM

I know what you've been through Monkey. I still can't believe someone could be this deceitful and still sleep at night!! I can't put much else here though as it will get censored out.

#18 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:55 PM

Well i'm pretty sorry to hear this, as steve did quite alot of work to my car. A fair bit of welding, a full respray and installed my new engine/exhaust complete with new fuel pump, megajolt and all the associated wiring. He did a good job on mine and overall i'm pleased with the work he's done.

The thing is as far as I know he does use another friend of his to do the welding work (don't know whether his friend does all or just helps with some of the welding) and also relies on his friends trailer to transport his jobs around. So it seems his friend has let him down and in turn its let steves reputation down.

The only minor issues I had with steve was that he did have my car quite abit longer than he first estimated - But to be fair alot of projects don't get finished on time due to unforeseen problems and issues. There were also a couple of small bits I asked steve to do that didn't get done and a couple of things I would have done differently myself but nothing major that I couldn't easily sort out. And again the things I asked him to do were asked over email, so may not have been read and would also be easily forgotten.

Overall I was happy with the job steve did and i'd probably use him again aswell. Once my cars back on the road i'll be taking it to him for him to tune it and if I need any future work he'd be pretty high on my list of people to get a quote off.

Just to show the other side of the story and at least give steve a chance heres some photos of how my car turned out:

Before:

Posted Image

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Posted Image

So now only time will tell how good his work really is, and i'll see how well my paint stands up to the test of time.

#19 DENTY

DENTY

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:52 AM

hi mike just to let you know that we did all the welding and paint work on your mini Steve sent it to us saying it just needed sills and a boot floor repair he did none of the perp or welding or paint just told us what to do and did not even say about the archs till the day b4 i was putting it on the trailer to take back to you so dont let him say he did the paint

#20 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:07 AM

Now why am I not surprised about that!!

#21 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:41 AM

to be honest mate I was more talking in general and in answer to another post about whos word can you trust. I think your right, This guy had no excuse and really took the mick.

I had a similar experience myself. Paying in advance for work and always being told to "come on this day" only to be told on that day (after taking time off work and or re arranging my life) that he then couldn't do it and that I HAVE to come another day. Like he was doing me a favour?! This went on for a few months and happened so many times I cant believe how patient I was. It was only because the guy was a mate and I knew he was going through it a bit that I gave him so much slack. When I did finally loose my cool I couldn't believe the way he spoke to me! Like I was the one in the wrong and I was being cheeky telling him when he had to do my car! Its a bit of a shame really because the friendships never really been the same again and I wont EVER use him for work again. I had paid him in advance and he was favouring everyone who came in the door after me chasing the next £ in favour of doing work he had been paid for. It really grinds my gears!

The biggest issue is these people dont seem to be able to mange their work load. A lot of work goes into a car build and restore I know. but if you are good enough you should know how long a jobs going to take you even with contingency time. DONT over load yourself.

Its very simple:
If you are too busy dont take another job on.
Give honest time scales.
Favour people who have paid in advance OVER people who have just walked in the door

Above all else, be honest and dont take the P!$$

Edited by E.L.M.O, 28 September 2010 - 10:44 AM.

#22 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:48 AM

Sorry to hear your troubles monkey , neil i think you have hit the nail on the head there , sadly im in this exact situation with another company at the moment .

#23 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:57 AM

I understand ELMO, I wasn't targeting you or anything just wanted to go into more detail so other people would have more insight into just how much he messed me around. I guess the lesson to be learnt the hard way is to not cut slack on people at all and make sure the job is done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Someone got through to me on the picture of the car on the spit, it belongs to a member of another club and is a 1963 austin seven deluxe, he got Steve D. to restore it and going by what the guy has told me he was disgusted with the end result and has still not got his car on the road as he has lost heart with it.

Quite sad :-

#24 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:06 AM

neil i think you have hit the nail on the head there ,

:D

sadly im in this exact situation with another company at the moment .

Ahh dude you really arent having much luck are ya?!

I understand ELMO, I wasn't targeting you or anything just wanted to go into more detail so other people would have more insight into just how much he messed me around. I guess the lesson to be learnt the hard way is to not cut slack on people at all and make sure the job is done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Someone got through to me on the picture of the car on the spit, it belongs to a member of another club and is a 1963 austin seven deluxe, he got Steve D. to restore it and going by what the guy has told me he was disgusted with the end result and has still not got his car on the road as he has lost heart with it.

Quite sad :dontgetit:

Its cool mate, I know you werent.
Trouble is finding someone who does know what they are doing! The few people who do are inundated with work and you end up back to the start with the work never being done because said people are so busy!

Maybe the ONLY way to do it is to learn yourself?! lol If you want a job doing right....... and all that!
Trouble is, if anyone is like me and utterly useless with their hands then the above is still pointless! (well there are some things I am good at with my hands but family forum and all.....) lol :P

#25 minbin2010

minbin2010

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:37 AM

WHAT A ********** W*NKER no need for that if you cant do somthing give them the money bak and tell them straight up i fink i would have punched his face in for bullsh*tin me like that

#26 Hannioli

Hannioli

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts
  • Local Club: E.L.M.O & Essex

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:50 AM

Aww GM, sorry to hear about your mini woes :) Seems like all of us have been ripped off and/or had shoddy work done to our cars.

It would be brilliant if there were more reviews on mechanics, but knowing some, they will call you on "slander" and threaten you if you were to give a bad public review. ;)

Bah, anyway *makes ratchet sounds in hopes of cheering GM up some* :dontgetit:

Trouble is, if anyone is like me and utterly useless with their hands then the above is still pointless! (well there are some things I am good at with my hands but family forum and all.....) lol :P

#27 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:05 PM

*Cough* :dontgetit:

#28 Mutley_RIP

Mutley_RIP

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Local Club: WAMO

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:38 AM

Shocking.

My suggestions to you are in a PM :lol:

#29 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:02 AM

hi mike just to let you know that we did all the welding and paint work on your mini Steve sent it to us saying it just needed sills and a boot floor repair he did none of the perp or welding or paint just told us what to do and did not even say about the archs till the day b4 i was putting it on the trailer to take back to you so dont let him say he did the paint

Ok, now i'm just confused :lol:

#30 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

Ok, now i'm just confused :(

Denty is from the bodyshop that actually done the welding and paint work on the car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users