6 replies to this topic

#1 mk3cortina

mk3cortina

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:05 AM

next year when my MOT runs out ill be planning on swapping the standard 998 engine for a motorcycle engine conversion, now im looking locally for suitable bikes, and with budget being an issue it does limit me, id prefer a complete bike as everythings there for me to pick at, and i will be fabricating the subframe modification myself. now ive found a 1990 HONDA CBR1000F-J local to me, i know its not the most powerful bike available but im sure 100hp is enough to play with even if it has lost a few over the years.

so really i just want some suggestions of if its suitable or not

#2 minidream94

minidream94

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:40 PM

Front or rear mounted?

#3 mk3cortina

mk3cortina

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:58 PM

front, keeping it fwd

Edited by mk3cortina, 10 October 2010 - 12:59 PM.

#4 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:27 PM

The cbr1000 is a strong motor, but it's also huge compared to an R1, the gearing is also low combined with a low redline sometimes makes it differcult to gear correctly, if your chain driving it, it won't matter. I just don't see how you will get it all in, the R1 is very tight in the front of a mini and it's visibly much smaller

Good luck

Cheers
David

#5 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:34 PM

If I where you I'd find a bike breaker near to you and see you you can go around a measure up some engines. Obviously the R1 will fit but you never know there might be a cheaper engine out there that will do the job.

#6 mk3cortina

mk3cortina

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:38 PM

well today ive been toying with the idea of a v twin, like a vtr1000, tuono or similar, id mount it sideways and pretty much have a direct connection onto a diff. just thinking that with the slimness of a v twin compared to a normal 4 cylinder, it could fit much better. plus it would sound evil! and i dont think its been done before.

#7 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:48 PM

well today ive been toying with the idea of a v twin, like a vtr1000, tuono or similar, id mount it sideways and pretty much have a direct connection onto a diff. just thinking that with the slimness of a v twin compared to a normal 4 cylinder, it could fit much better. plus it would sound evil! and i dont think its been done before.

The engine may be a lot slimmer but the gearbox is pretty much the same as any other superbike, perhaps a little shorter but not much

Cheers
David

Edited by R1mini, 11 October 2010 - 04:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users