#1 Bersimah2

Bersimah2

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:59 AM

Hello

I am a temporary member for as long as it takes me to find a good home for my recently deceased neighbour's Mini - a 1980 ish model I believe.

Clifford loved his Mini, maintaining it himself and recently passing the MOT despite Clifford's failing health and his 80+ age!!

It's not a thing of external beauty - the body work has had a fair amount of attention - but it's been a daily runner right up until Cliff's untimely and sudden death last week.

So, what are my options? A good cause needn't be a museum or other sort of charity. It might be a community project that needs cars to teach kids about mechanics. It might even be an individual who can prove s/he will love the car (nearly) as much as Cliff - as much would be impossible!!

Hoping to hear quickly as his family are worried that the car is vulnerable left out on the street.

Regards Paul

#2 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:16 AM

Could be it raffled at a mini show and the proceeds sent to a charity of the families choise?

#3 Merlin-Mini

Merlin-Mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:30 AM

what condition is the mini in?? and where is it? any pics

Rich

#4 Daveymo

Daveymo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:32 AM

Charity auction maybe?

Edited by Daveymo, 21 October 2010 - 09:32 AM.

#5 ralphbrown15

ralphbrown15

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:34 AM

I would love to take the Mini off your hands. I am studying Motorsport Design Engineering at uni and feel a project would teach me more about cars than a book would. I'm 17 and would love to start a project. It would be my pride and joy

#6 samperks

samperks

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Local Club: looking

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:27 AM

Charity auction that way it will go to someone who you know will want it and help towards a charity, think this is the best option.
you could look at some local event in the "general meets and events" section
im sure if you posted in there someone could help you out if this is the way you wanted to go with it?

anyway best of luck with it sounds like your doing a lovely thing for your deceased neighbor.

#7 Bersimah2

Bersimah2

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

Many thanks for responses so far

I will upload a pic later today

The charity auction sounds a good idea - any idea what it would raise? if it's not much giving it away might be less hassle.

Regards

#8 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:44 AM

Sell each ticket for 5 pounds you'll sell over 100, although. You would need one of the forum mods or admins to take care of the money side of things.

As well, i know certainly i would not give money even to a good cause to someone i have never met on a forum.

#9 hepple

hepple

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:45 AM

I wouldn't personally give it away. There is a show down in malvern on sunday. I would say do an auction or a raffle and give the money to a charity of yours or the families choice.

#10 Daveymo

Daveymo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:45 AM

Not sure if member of admin or moderators could step in and maybe help you setup some kind of charity auction on here or similar sites?
As said, that way you will know it will be going to a good home as the winning buyer will be going out of their way to bid for the car.

(Not that you've said you would do it....) But I'd be wary of sticking it on ebay (and the like) as a charity auction, as they can tend to attract unwanted 'bidders'

If it was a raffle, any tom dick or harry with a couple of quid worth of raffle ticket could end up winning it and maybe not taking as good care of it as it deserves (from the sound of it). Sure alot of money could be raised, but personally I would be wary as to who the raffle was open to.
In terms of an auction and talking proper ammounts of money, then you know it will be going to a loving home.

HTH

#11 stevedx

stevedx

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Local Club: brighton mini club

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:28 AM

Well if you had some pics to put up I would be willing to give it a home, I have a nice garage ready and waiting and a trailer I could collect it with so not too many miles go on it, getting it to my home, my fully restored cooper, that has cost me over 3k in restoring and now finished, would love a companion, and it could get loved the same way the cooper is loved, washed every few days and polished etc once or twice a fortnight.

My son and daughter 14 and 11 respectively also want to get involved in restoring one with me, so it would be looked after, I would also be willing to make a donation to their chosen charity if they would like me too.

#12 Bersimah2

Bersimah2

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:13 PM

Many thanks for later replies since my last thank you.
Will read them all properly but I hear what you say about trust working both ways Thanks.

#13 Bersimah2

Bersimah2

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:15 PM

Many thanks for later replies since my last thank you.
Will read them all properly but I hear what you say about trust working both ways Thanks.

Oh and pics coming soon

#14 Jacko-lah

Jacko-lah

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Local Club: Derbyshire Classic Mini OC

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:18 PM

Well if you had some pics to put up I would be willing to give it a home, I have a nice garage ready and waiting and a trailer I could collect it with so not too many miles go on it, getting it to my home, my fully restored cooper, that has cost me over 3k in restoring and now finished, would love a companion, and it could get loved the same way the cooper is loved, washed every few days and polished etc once or twice a fortnight.

My son and daughter 14 and 11 respectively also want to get involved in restoring one with me, so it would be looked after, I would also be willing to make a donation to their chosen charity if they would like me too.

Yeah me too (Sort of)

I've got 4 evenings a week free for a mini based project, over the next 9 months. This sounds Ideal for my needs too. My son and daughter 17 and 14 would love to get involved too.

I reckon a CHARITY raffle is likely to yeild more interest than an auction.

#15 Jacko-lah

Jacko-lah

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Local Club: Derbyshire Classic Mini OC

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:22 PM

I would love to take the Mini off your hands. I am studying Motorsport Design Engineering at uni and feel a project would teach me more about cars than a book would. I'm 17 and would love to start a project. It would be my pride and joy

You are a University and are 17 ? One year ahead ? How do manage that ?

With regards to your belief that a project would teach you more about Motorsport design engineering than a book, I'm not sure that the mini is the sort of technology you should be learning about, but it would make you more confident with Tools. Unless there's a module on classic rally preparation ? :lol:

Sorry, went off topic a bit there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users