36 replies to this topic

#16 ralphbrown15

ralphbrown15

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:34 PM

You are a University and are 17 ? One year ahead ? How do manage that ?

With regards to your belief that a project would teach you more about Motorsport design engineering than a book, I'm not sure that the mini is the sort of technology you should be learning about, but it would make you more confident with Tools. Unless there's a module on classic rally preparation ?

Sorry, went off topic a bit there.

I'm from Scotland, it's just like that here. I would like the Mini to teach me basic mechanics, as it's not possible to get a job in a garage at the weekends..

#17 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:46 PM

I'm not too sure on legalites of raffles and what rules you have to comply with?

This does sound like a good solution

However I would like to see his wishes carried out and if you need any help in vetting applicants then I'm happy to help.

#18 Bersimah2

Bersimah2

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:20 PM

Finally have some pics to upload will follow this post
(yes I know I'm not David Bailey, no feedback reqd. >_<

Will be discussing options with Cliff's daughter after the funeral next week, many thanks for responses and ideas.

Paul

#19 Bersimah2

Bersimah2

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:37 PM

Finally a few pics

Attached Files

#20 samperks

samperks

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Local Club: looking

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:15 PM

Would definatly make a good project for someone looks like its in some need of tlc just make sure it goes to the right person like you say, with the amount of stolen mini's nowadays you need to be 100% sure its someone who is going to make a project out if it not just break it down and try and make some money.

best of luck!

#21 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • Local Club: J19 Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:22 PM

A friend of mine took a car to the Bristol Mini Day, stayed with it all day and got people to give him a slip of paper with their 'bid' and a phone number on. Whoever 'bid' the most by the end of the day got a phonecall and got the car!

Simple, cheap way of doing it. If it was me I'd take it to Malvern on Sunday and do it like that. That way it'd go to the person who really wanted it the most and you'd get the most money to give to charity in Cliff's memory.

Dan >_<

Edited by mini-man-dan, 22 October 2010 - 02:22 PM.

#22 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

it looks like a very loved and cherrished car, i remember this old bloke who drove round this old yellow mini everywhere, maintained it himself, never had any welding done to it as he painted the whole car (bar the windows) in grease, it was filthy, dirty and looked a right heap, but under he grease it was immaculate, only the drivers seat had wear, with a good wash, you'd swore it just rolled out the show room!!

as for this particular mini, an auction will be the best bet, and the winner has to promise to log the rebuild/resto, not just buy it to make a quick profit

#23 tangerinebean

tangerinebean

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:39 PM

Could do a bit of both, donate to a local tech/mechanical college, for the school to do it up, the students gain the know how etc, then it could be auctioned off locally, profits to a family chosen charity,

or split between the school and family. Something like that?

I think giving it away for one persons gain is unfair, personally.

#24 benb12

benb12

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • Local Club: Medway Mini Club

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:01 PM

As someone at college doing a mechanics course, I say if you want to donate it... don't donate it to a college! Because it will unfortunately get ruined and probably never see the road again.

#25 E-Tizzle

E-Tizzle

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:08 PM

yeah, college cars are treated horribly and are kept outside in the rain and never safe to drive again after the people have worked on them, ripped them apart, and just about put them back together again, i definatly wouldnt give it to them

#26 jay whiting

jay whiting

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Local Club: Gloucesters Mini-Rebels

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:16 AM

I think to say a college will ruin the car is a little unfair, im not saying they are all the same but i went to Farborough Tech many moons ago and EVERY car we had donated (beetle, mini, capri, rover 90, triumph herald) all got a full bare body rebuild and ALL got put back on the road in AS NEW condittion and sold on to put money back into the workshop/machine shop funds to help with the next through the doors. Yes there are always some that just get torn appart, hit with hammers and such and just end as scrap but with a little research into a college you can find out what does happen to project/ teaching aids.

#27 union jack

union jack

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:24 PM

Just what i'm looking for as an additional member to our family. Would like to be considered too. Thanks

#28 POWER5LAVE

POWER5LAVE

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:04 PM

i am also very intrested in this as a father son project for me and my dad.

#29 samperks

samperks

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Local Club: looking

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:42 PM

Talking of it going to a college my dads college runs a mechanics course (stourbridge college/rodbaston) and they're currently working on karts and taking them to events but i bet the kids would love a mini to do up. just an idea pm me if its of any use to you

again best of luck

#30 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

I think me :D You will never meet anybody more passionate about the Mini than myself, or somebody with 1200 die-cast ones :xxx: I've only waited 17 years. (and still cant afford a decent one dispite working my a*se off!

On a serious note I dont think it should go to a single individual, that Isn't fair. Charity auction is the way to go i think, raise money for a good cause, rather than to somebody that will sell it on for a very obvious profit after a few years. I'd love and cherise it, but never keep a car forever.

Edited by Mini-Mad-Craig, 23 October 2010 - 06:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users