#481 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:26 PM

Got to love engine building in the front room!

#482 Mini Cheddars

Mini Cheddars

I AM A SPOTTER (TMF LOGO SPOTTER)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:56 PM

Holy thread revival batman!

This will be because I linked to it from my tech help thread. :)

#483 PhilipGCaldwell

PhilipGCaldwell

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:22 PM

Long time since any update. Well, sadly, due to the old thing called life the mini hasn't been used for a good 18 months, the missus got pregnant and she got put on the back burner so no MOT and SORN. Fingers crossed for this to be sorted soon though, she needs some tlc, mainly the interior is mouldy as owt as rain got in, also a few electrics need fettling. Engine still sweet as a nut though, try to start it every 2 months at least.

When she is back up and running again Im fairly convinced Im changing the exhaust on it to a maniflow unit. The system I have at the moment is a fletcher 3 inch job and it just kills a 998, far too big, alas I bought it in my folly of not knowing what I was doing 7 years ago and thought bigger meant better. I believe the cam and incorrect exhaust are meaning that there is nothing below 2500 rpm. If I ever need to take out the engine I will without doubt change the cam, 276 is too much in a 998 imo, anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves or permanently drives it round screaming the engine.

See you on the road

#484 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC-Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:03 PM

the missus got pregnant and she got put on the back burner

Thats exactly what id do!

#485 PhilipGCaldwell

PhilipGCaldwell

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:58 PM

Well some progress, today I have ordered a 1.75 maniflow side exit exhaust and link pipe to rid me of this ear bleeding power zapping 3 inch fletcher!

I will have to modify my Y piece as I'm sure the link pipe now is 2 inch to the y piece, will fettle this at work with a grinder and weld it up again for now.

To do list for the next few weeks:

1.Fettle mouldy seats and clean interior, locate leak water leak (think window seal gone)

2.Fettle brake lights not working, fettle brakes sticking on when depressed

3.Fettle aux fan not working

4.Mot

5.Tax

#486 PhilipGCaldwell

PhilipGCaldwell

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:55 AM

Maniflow exhaust has arrived, just modifying the Y piece to fit the smaller 1.75 inch down pipe. will be on it tonight.

Im genuinely almost convinced myself that Im building up my spare original 998 engine, with the difference being putting a different cam in, possibly a minispares evolution cam as they are such an attractive price and get a decent opinion on all outlets Ive read. will put on my spare unleaded 12g940 head and stick all the ancillary bits off the current engine on it when I swap over. Probably a next year project though

#487 PhilipGCaldwell

PhilipGCaldwell

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:10 AM

Maniflow exhaust fitted last night, man, what a difference to the sound, far more acceptable noise level, very nice note. took it for a blast down the road and its definitely more perky lower down the rev range, also seems more free to rev up with less hesitation when accelerator depreseed

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)