#16 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Local Club: MINIS Unleashed

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:56 AM

The car was not designed to run on runflats. It was a space saving option and the suspension has not been compensated for runflats.

To the OP....... I too ran my last few MINIS on normal tyres with no issues. However, I got the option to have a pair of cheap runflats to try. I had a puncture a week later and it got me 50 miles to work . If I did not haver the rf tyres on, I would have had to rely on the rubbish tyre weld that they supply to get me to work. Since being spooked, I now have run flats fitted on both MINIS. Yes, the ride can be crashy, harsh but id depends it you want to be potentially stranded. I drive in Europe and would not want be stranded on the Stelvio Pass :mmkay:

I put up with the ride but will agree, the car is transformed when running non run flat tyres. Changing the tyres will no damage or have any adverse effects to your car.

With regards to the price you were quoted, I have just had Bridgestone RF tyres fitted to my Cooper D and paid £120 each. I usually pay the same price for Continental Sport Contact 3

#17 Minipt2

Minipt2

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:59 AM

I used to have an 06 mini that i changed all 4 corners from RF to non-run flats, as has been said previously the ride and the road noise were much improved. i think if you are worried you could get a space saver but that would take up allot of space which is already at a premium. I just used to keep a 12v pump and can of tyre weld in the boot.   

#18 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:51 AM

I took mine off my clubman Cooper and put a rover 45 space saver in the back. The car drove a million times better on the Avon tyres and the cost for four fitted was less that two awful run flats.

#19 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:41 PM

Run flats are awful. Handling is shocking and ride is firmer. Last MINI I drove had Vreds all round, night and day difference!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users