1 reply to this topic

#1 cosi

cosi

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:52 PM

I was checking out the BMW S1000RR motor and it has a stacked gearbox. That is the major reason the R1 engine is used.
Possibly the BMW engine could replace the outdated R1 engine for a power source in Pro-Motive's line up. The only thing is those pesky variable length intakes and the fact that the injectors sit on top of the airbox as well as being direct injected.

Any thoughts?

"To keep the gearbox and transmission system as compact and short as possible, the primary and secondary shafts are positioned on top of one another, thus saving a lot of space. Again, this reduces the overall length of the engine"

Posted Image

#2 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:38 PM

The bmw motor is rare and expensive for a start, the stacked gearbox is a major reason as you say but the secondary injectors are very high up making it extremely tall in it's current configuration, I'm not sure how strong they are either a few have gone pop in the bikes never mind in a car

Promotive have a product that works using an R1 engine that is cheaply and widely available. If you get the fuel injected R1, I don't think it's too outdated. The newest 1 litre engines are getting more power but at ever higher revs, moving the peak torque even higher up the revs, probably not great in a car.

Another possible sugestion that has a stacked box, is the honda CBR1000RR motor, modern, high power but again with the secondary injectors high up on the air box and again expensive compared to the older R1's, they are supposed to be very strong though with an added benefit of having a casette gearbox that can be removed whole without splitting the crankcases, although I think that the later ones don't

Cheers
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users