2 replies to this topic

#1 YIANO

YIANO

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:51 PM

After months of inactivity due to house sale and relocation I decided to investigate the 2 speed box I currently have on my r1 mini.
After disassembly of the gear selector mechanism checking for wear I indeed found that the selector drum will not rotate from 2nd to 3rd gear position.
It's jammed so either the drum, forks or dogs are damaged probably knowing my luck all three !.
So now it's an engine strip down job which oddly I'm quite looking forward to.
Removing the subframe again however I can't be arsed to do but must as the exhaust manifold as everyone knows is a pain to get to unless anyones got any tricks on how to pull the engine out and leave the subframe in ?
Still could be worse!!! Lol

so kids , unlike me make sure you check that all your gears engage before you install your engine and frame in your car.
I could kick myself now but I guess that's life
she will return for next years show hopefully with all 6 gears!

#2 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:12 PM

Spotty dog :thumbsup: I hope it all goes swimmingly for you.

You couldent take some pictures of the selector drum and the gearbox inners could you buddy?

#3 YIANO

YIANO

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:27 AM

I'm going to do a rebuild with pics so others can follow if need be . The r1 lump is quite strong but prone to gearbox issues on early models 4xv and even the 5jj like mine. Further encouraged to f**k up by riders pulling wheelies in 2nd and 3rd which causes the problem I currently have.
New coomponents direct from yamaha have been redesigned to prevent these issues and so I'll be using genuine parts as required . They also spec yamabond , their own surface sealant compound which is on my list along with gaskets etc.
Should be fun !!
I could always buy another r1 lump but as mine has only 7k on it I'm better off rebuilding it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users