26 replies to this topic

#1 GottaDesigner

GottaDesigner

The Brains Behind TMF's Secret Santa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:48 PM

Folks have offered to set me up with a bog standard stereo & 2 speakers for the small black four-wheeled one, seen as he's without 'em at the moment. They're nothing flash (£80 all in c/o Argos :w00t:) but I'm looking to have the stereo fitted under the back seat rather than it being fixed to the dash as a deterrent to the chav quotient in my area (if they can't see it, they won't smash my windows to get it theoretically). The speakers fit flush and are going into the parcel shelf in place of the dead ones that are in place at the moment.

So, going on that, what sort of pricing should I be looking at to get said stuff installed?

*Doesn't want to be ripped off*

Thx!

#2 mini_basser

mini_basser

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:57 PM

Erm putting the HU under the rear seats isn't a great idea...how are you going to change tracks, adjust the volume etc?

And why hide that, but have the speakers on clear display :w00t:

#3 benfredjosh

benfredjosh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:58 PM

true points above^^^^^^ lol
but i could fit that for 30 quid?

#4 GottaDesigner

GottaDesigner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:10 PM

I'm a little paranoid. I really don't want to invite trouble by having a stereo in plain sight somewhere under/in the dash...I've already had my garage broken in to and a lot of stuff nicked (they couldn't take Monty b/c I'd taken the battery out at the time to charge it so they took a grand's worth of bikes and fishing stuff and took their feet to Monty's bonnet/doors and rear quarters).

I know if I put the stereo on display they'll go for it and leave me with the cost of replacing it and getting my car repaired - even if it is a cheapo stereo from Argos.

#5 mini_basser

mini_basser

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:17 PM

But you just said you were going to have the speakers in the rear shelf...rear windscreens are see through, and pikeys will still want to still speakers!

#6 GottaDesigner

GottaDesigner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:26 PM

They won't take much notice of that, I have (dead) speakers in at the moment, the Chavs want the stereos or the car itself - they can flog stereos for a few ££ to anyone and put that to their 'White Lightning & Smokes' fund and will wreck the car just to do my head in. Speakers take a little more to remove than a stereo - I know my local chav brigade aren't that smart as I live 3 doors down from the 'Grand High Chav' of the area.

#7 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:34 PM

Mate, why ask for advice if your just going to throw it back at us?

They arent going to steal a sterio if you take the facia. Its worthless / Un-useable without it.

Just fit it in the dash like any normal person...

<|Ben|>

#8 GottaDesigner

GottaDesigner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:45 PM

Guess that's what I get for asking an evidently stupid question.

Ignore me and my paranoia.

#9 mini_basser

mini_basser

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:14 PM

Mate, why ask for advice if your just going to throw it back at us?

They arent going to steal a sterio if you take the facia. Its worthless / Un-useable without it.

Just fit it in the dash like any normal person...

<|Ben|>

Would be nice if that were true...however, my dad has had 2 stereos nicked...minus the face. So has a mate of mine (the face was in the car under the seat!)

It reduces the risk, but not a lot you can do to remove it completely

I'm still trying to think of a solution, as having the HU under the rear seat would realy suck

#10 Don't Panic

Don't Panic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:18 PM

what to do is mount the HU far in the dash and make a sliding cover to go infront of it. Or get a kick ass loud alarm

Edit: had another thought, buy a rocking chair and shotgun. two days of sitting next to your car talking to your self and no one will touch it.

#11 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:24 PM

Even if you don't have a mini, that sounds like fun!

#12 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:27 PM

I'm always of the thinking that telling someone what to do is not going to help if they are asking for opinion...

If you want to mount the HU under the rear seat, it may be an idea to look at putting aboard in with a simple din socket, but had you also considered the companion bins either side, and it could then be mounted vertically, and they are deep enough to allow a false base to be put over it to disguise it....

#13 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:29 PM

Can't you get HUs with remotes that would allow you to mount it under the rear seats? And then a cloth over the rear speakers!? Jobs a good un, no ICE on display!

#14 GottaDesigner

GottaDesigner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:37 PM

Hmmm.... *Ponders that* Thanks, GW & Jammy. Excellent ideas. That's exactly the kind of tack I'm looking to take with it. Never thought of the pockets though. How would that work then?

I am genuinely quite wary of having the stereo itself on clear display, that's why I'm looking to hide it however I can. I don't want it up front on display because I know the idiot brigade *will* attempt to steal it regardless of the fact that it has a removable facia. (That's what I get for my dad being a figure of authority in the area and, subsequently, a Police contact.)

#15 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:52 PM

The problem is if a thief hears music coming from your car they'll know you have a stereo, and theres only so many places it could be in a mini. Theres some statistic banded around that states something like 75% of theifery (even a real word!?) is by someone you know or who knows you or is local or something like that!

As you can tell I can't remember it very well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users