Dolly 89

Previously known as suzzy 273

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Local Club: Humberside moc

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:01 AM

Hi
My first ever post on here, and its a negative one!
I got a quote for my isurance a week ago, im 17 and i hav diabeties so i was suprised to hear that footman james could insure me (thrid party, fire and theft) for £595. Over the past week my dad bought me a roll cage and it has been fitted. I then rung footman james again to tell them, an they would not insure me!

Any ideas of what to do or who to go to next?

First of all getting insurance at 17 for £595 at the minute I wouldn't complain. I pay £802 on my astra. I am 20 have 3 years no claims, no points, have never had an accident and have never had to claim. I would advise you to take the cage out and leave all modifications until you have a few years no claims.

Next, this isn't going to solve your current problem but is worth trying. You might want to ask your insurance company whether you being diabetic makes any difference. I am diabetic and was once given a leaflet by someone in the diabetes clinic at hospital about getting car insurance. It said about asking car insurance companies if it made any difference. Some of them will tell you that it puts up your premium by x amount. You should then turn round to them and point out that diabetes is classed as a disability and by trying to charge more they are in fact discriminating against you (by law they are not allowed to treat you any differently just for having a medical condition) . As long as you have informed the dvla when applying for your licence then they have deemed you fit to drive and should not be charged more for insurance. I did this a couple of years ago with direct line. The woman on the end of the phone said she would speak to their legal department. I then received a phone call about an hour and a half later and they said that I was right so they dropped the renewal quote I got from them by about £70. A lot of companies are aware of this so don't charge you any more but is worth asking just incase.

i was going to say the same as above your quote is a good one and insurance companies cant put your insurance up because you diabetic its discrimination i always ask everytime i get a quote for with diabetes and without to see if there is a difference obviously without first then when you get your price say you didnt mention that i was diabetic and they should still give you the same price as before if not tell them about discrimination

#32 baldie1

baldie1

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:07 PM

Hi mate £119 fully comp AA insurance unlimited mileage 40yr old 2 years no claims

#33 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:08 PM

Hi mate £119 fully comp AA insurance unlimited mileage 40yr old 2 years no claims

when i got a quote for my mini, AA quoted over 4000!!!!! and its prob gone up in 3 years!

#34 mikey72

mikey72

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:55 PM

Problem is you don't get an agreed value, so you spend months argueing that it's not £50 for a 20 or 30 year old wreck.

#35 baldie1

baldie1

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:17 PM

Ye mate see what you're saying i don't know how insurance companys value a car but i looked at a couple of book prices for me mini and they came up spot on so hopefully they go by the book ?

#36 deemo

deemo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:37 AM

I'm finding that quote very hard to believe.
Just got a quote from aviva, I'm 19, male, Licence for two years, Never made a claim, car garaged, rural area,3000 miles a year, quote for a bog standard 998 mayfair - £2600 if I pay up front.
Got a quote a couple of months ago from footman james for a modified mini for 6200 and 3700 for the same car from HIC.
I have quotes from about 150 different companies for about 20 odd cars over the last 2 years. I have never had a quote less than 1600.

Being male and 17 (most likely wrongly) puts your in the insurance red alert zone and I struggle to believe you have gotten a quote cheaper than my parents. :)

But if you have been honest and double and triple checked your details, well, time to celebrate. (and I'm exceedingly jealous!) :thumbsup:

#37 davidv

davidv

Flowers of JOY.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:27 AM

Deemo that is to much to pay.I would keep looking or hold back a while.Around £1000-£1200 is more than enough to pay on a small standard car.

#38 tangerinebean

tangerinebean

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:51 AM

Insurance companies are ridiculous, i use a certain company that do muilticar insurance, i declared all modifications they gave me a decent price, my everyday car, a 57 plate Audi A4, fully comp, and my mini TPFT, total came in at £1000/year.

Great i though....then you read the small print, stating no modifications are insured. therefore if you break it you bought it and thats it.

Although i'm 26 years old, 7 years no claims, and 3 points.

#39 davidv

davidv

Flowers of JOY.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:50 AM

Multi were good,even they have become to sharp on some things.The Audi i would have covered normal and the Mini seperate.

#40 davidv

davidv

Flowers of JOY.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:16 AM

The insurance Subject is Vast and keeps changing like the prices.As the Team said we can only give what we think is good honest legal Advice and things we have found out over the years.Post Codes make a hudge Dif. on fees.Parts of Birmingham are very expensive and hard to get cover.Near any large City prices often go up.Many have to park outside to so to risky to fit to much flash because of crime.
With the 998cc the head is very dif. from the 1275cc so easy to spot,they do not have to strip it to check sizes on mini cars.You could have max rebores and they will miss it as engines need repairs over the years.I bought a Mini of the Town racers in Bham,it never won anything but would complete the race near last.The owner had been nicked for so many things and banned about 10 years i got a bargain,well i thought.Police still followed it everywhere even with a new owner,very hot travel.They told me quite a bit about its history and the 850cc badge on the back when it has a MG Metro red full race engine and an Alloy rocker cover plus all the other Big Mods etc..I had put it all on the papers so OK.It looked like Mr.Beans car.Sold it very fast and cheap.There was not an honest part on it so they told me.
Shopping about for good cover is a pain but well worth the work.One very fair way(my view) is if you have no legal cover and the worst happens,like a child running out infront of you and you hit it,thats bad for your Rep.No one will like you again and the worst is you will be in dept the rest of your life paying out.Insurance premiums would be very costly to when you come out of prison even the in- mates would go for you like a p/f.

#41 Mini_Luke

Mini_Luke

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:12 PM

I'm 18 been driving bit less than a year, standard 998 mini and my insurance was £1000, (£1200 paying monthly which I am) I'm with 'Yes' Insurance.

#42 davidv

davidv

Flowers of JOY.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:43 AM

The insurance Companys have got a bit better with the charge of paying direct debit over 12 months.They know its so expensive its the only way many can afford it and the banks do not want to help anyone.They only used to do it over 3 months and still charge the same for the loan.If you do have to make a claim they often insist you pay them full pemium before they will pay out.Insurance is often more than the car when younger,i had that problem when young in one of my 28i capris when a REP crashed in the back at 40mph.Had to find an extra £1000 first or they would not fix my pride and joy.I visited him in his work place insisting he coughed up.They had to cut him out his plastic Siera.To make it worse i had spent all day at my factory polishing it first.Glad i could not open his doors to get my hands on him.
Even car TAX has got so expensive and we have to have it and the MOT price is a joke.Fuel costs to and the tax on that.I put a years fuel costs on my VAT bill and that caused some nasty problems with the TAX man and i had to pay them back with no interest.Surprised they have not added life insurance by law.
As above said it takes some reading the small print after they have your money.Its a better broker who gives you your real policy docs. to keep.the law can be very sharp on cover notes.They hope you will leave your papers with them for next year.
I think younger folks that enjoy a Classic are going to be a safer considerate road user.There is enough to fix without dents.At my age i can use real brokers with an office to visit and they do all the legal stuff and read there own policy covers to get you what you expect.Many doing there own form filling and on line covers can make an honest mistake.

#43 mini-thomas

mini-thomas

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Local Club: YDCCC

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:21 PM

Rite, so my situation has changed now, im putting in a 1275 metro engine with 72bhp and got a quote of £780 TPFT! I was quite suprised at how little it was.

#44 mattdc2r

mattdc2r

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet!

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:58 AM

My mini is insured for Northallerton as well. Not with Footman James, but with another company that was at Bingly. They had a little stand just as you went from where the show cars were in to the auto jumble. Anyway, i'm 33, and they haven't taken my NCB into consideration as they are used on a seperate policy. 998, all mods declared and i pay 150 a year fully comp with unlimited mileage :thumbsup:.

Want cheap insurance................................ Move to Northallerton.

Edited by mattdc2r, 21 December 2010 - 11:59 AM.

#45 minisam92

minisam92

Banned from Classifieds Due to Selling of Weapons After Warning

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:58 PM

I got a quote yesterday for £550 fully comprehensive on my own policy which means I'll build up my own no claims bonus with £500 excess. I'm 17, and this is for when I pass (I set the start date as my test date) and this quote is valid for a month (my test is in less than a month) so look like i'm sorted for insurance! goes to show you can get it cheap if you shop around :thumbsup: Oh and I also get free cover abroad in most european countries, not that I could drive in a lot of them :-
I'm very happy with this quote ;)

Who from?
Don't keep it a secret!

were does every 1 get cheap insurance from mine for my first year im 18 by the way in a totally standard :) mini 1000 1979 £500 excess cheapest i can get is 1800 quid does any one know were i can get cheap insurance let me know please

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users