207 replies to this topic

#166 adam_93rio

adam_93rio

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:58 PM

I thought that was Westbay! and yeah that car is awesome! been properly ratted not just left to rot and called ratted.

thats contradicting what a rat is. a rat is a car that got there by itself. not sanded down paintwork so it rusts etc.

i dont think a lot of mini owners quite grasp the whole rat thing. i dont really like it much on minis because it just doesnt look right. you need to keep a good coat of paint on a mini because as soon as a panel rusts on a mini its pretty much gone through.

Volkswagens get away with it so much because they use thicker steel and it lasts a lot longer.

a rusty bonnet and yellow lights just doesnt seem ratty to me

if you wona be picky, my car is not rat no. it comes under the sub heading of "forced rat cars" which is under the main heading "rat"

And i like that way everyone just thinks its a VW exclusive thing when ratting comes from rat rods and there big old chopped american cars mostly and about as far away from a VW as humanly possible.
VW owners probably adopted to look first because there more open minded then most mini owners.

rant over :)

im not being picky, just saying theres a difference between a rat and 'rat look' or 'forced rat' i prefer that a car gets there by itself rather than being forced. i think it can still be done the forced route, but IMO it rarely looks leggitimate enough to work.

and i never said it was a vw thing, i just said they get away with it more than us.

im a massive fan of rats, my car while the mini is off the road is a mk3 golf which is starting to go ratty. not because ive sanded it down or rubbed salt into the paint. but it comes with time, not washing it etc. i know its a bit too much of a modern car to look right but its just how its getting. im not going to force it tho

#167 RayBoogs

RayBoogs

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:38 PM

I don't think rat is all about being rusty, old and dirty, the old rat rods, like the ford model b's, in america which have had thousands spent on the making them the way they are, not just left, and they look incredible. There are lots of rats that are just slammed and on nice euro rims with an awesome paint job, whether it be with chequered or a solid colour.

anyway I digress, here's an awesome website for some inspiration :proud:

http://rat-look.com/what-is-rat-look/

Jack

#168 shaun617

shaun617

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:04 PM

well at end of the day its your car, you do what you want to do to it, if every car was the same and 'normal' be pretty boring,
the only thing i dont like is when people rat look modern cars i just dont think it looks right, but thats me its your car :proud:

#169 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:05 PM

hahaha that link from rayboogs id funny you can have an OAP+ rat.

#170 RayBoogs

RayBoogs

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:07 PM

hahaha that link from rayboogs id funny you can have an OAP+ rat.

haha I liked that too.

#171 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:09 PM

i cant remeber the persons user name or the name of the thread but someone on here "ratted" a vw and had a full walking stick as a gear stick, i had some of the maddest things going on.

it makes me chuckle just thinking about it.

#172 RayBoogs

RayBoogs

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

Haha that sounds brilliant, i seen in my mates vw mag the other month a car with a full wicker dash was brilliant.

#173 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:37 PM

Found another rat mini I took a few pics of an Riv Run this year.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thats Ricks MPI from Essex mini club.
I wondered how long it was going to be before his mini made it onto this thread!

#174 apdxxx

apdxxx

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:44 AM

well at end of the day its your car, you do what you want to do to it, if every car was the same and 'normal' be pretty boring,
the only thing i dont like is when people rat look modern cars i just dont think it looks right, but thats me its your car :proud:

Aha i'm sure you might like it when she's done ;)
i'm not fond of modern car's being made ratlook either..

#175 Green-Chameleon

Green-Chameleon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:59 AM

I thought that was Westbay! and yeah that car is awesome! been properly ratted not just left to rot and called ratted.

thats contradicting what a rat is. a rat is a car that got there by itself. not sanded down paintwork so it rusts etc.

i dont think a lot of mini owners quite grasp the whole rat thing. i dont really like it much on minis because it just doesnt look right. you need to keep a good coat of paint on a mini because as soon as a panel rusts on a mini its pretty much gone through.

Volkswagens get away with it so much because they use thicker steel and it lasts a lot longer.

if you wona be picky, my car is not rat no. it comes under the sub heading of "forced rat cars" which is under the main heading "rat"

And i like that way everyone just thinks its a VW exclusive thing when ratting comes from rat rods and there big old chopped american cars mostly and about as far away from a VW as humanly possible.
VW owners probably adopted to look first because there more open minded then most mini owners.

rant over :proud:

im not being picky, just saying theres a difference between a rat and 'rat look' or 'forced rat' i prefer that a car gets there by itself rather than being forced. i think it can still be done the forced route, but IMO it rarely looks leggitimate enough to work.

and i never said it was a vw thing, i just said they get away with it more than us.

im a massive fan of rats, my car while the mini is off the road is a mk3 golf which is starting to go ratty. not because ive sanded it down or rubbed salt into the paint. but it comes with time, not washing it etc. i know its a bit too much of a modern car to look right but its just how its getting. im not going to force it tho

See, I think that's the complete wrong way to go about it. You're actually damaging the car longterm by letting nature takes its course. 'Forced ratting' is controlled rust for design and are well looked after. I'f im going to have a car that looks all ******* and rusty, I want people people to know its intended...not that i'm a some gypsy that drives a rotter.

But that's just me. I like Organised Chaos.

#176 apdxxx

apdxxx

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

rant over :)

See, I think that's the complete wrong way to go about it. You're actually damaging the car longterm by letting nature takes its course. 'Forced ratting' is controlled rust for design and are well looked after. I'f im going to have a car that looks all ******* and rusty, I want people people to know its intended...not that i'm a some gypsy that drives a rotter.

But that's just me. I like Organised Chaos.

you have a good point there!

#177 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:17 PM

http://rat-look.com/...um-1/gallery-9/

#178 Dolly 89

Dolly 89

Previously known as suzzy 273

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Local Club: Humberside moc

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:51 AM

Totally agree with the above and keep thinking it myself do whatever you want to your own car it don't matter what others think of it aslong as you like it but it is nice for people to like your car which I'm sure they will when its done :)

#179 apdxxx

apdxxx

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:20 PM

http://rat-look.com/...um-1/gallery-9/

I have already looked thorough that but thank-you :(

#180 ROD

ROD

Up Into Fourth