#31 TheOriginalMiniator

TheOriginalMiniator

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

Sweet - good to know.

Still debating if i want to go down the poly route. A friend (although i dunno where he bought his from) complains about them rattling about a lot and leaking quite a bit - neither of which i want! going to go have a closer look at his though.

#32 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  • Local Club: J19 Mini Owners Club

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

As long as they are fitted correctly they shouldn't rattle atall. Fitting the rear quarters and rear window into standard fixed rubbers quarantee they won't leak there. The sliders may seep very slightly in heavy rain but they shouldn't leak as such.

And I'm not sure where the rattle could come from. Only thing i could think of is the way the fronts are fitted.

#33 TheOriginalMiniator

TheOriginalMiniator

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

still havent managed to look at my mates windows yet - but yeah, if i use new rubbers i dont see how they would rattle about!!

I would rather go for winding windows than the sliders so i suppose that would rule out that leak.

the car will be a sunny weather car, pampered in the garage, so how big a problem is the fact that the windows are easily scratched?

#34 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:54 PM

If you are concerned about the windows scratching I'd recommend either going for bronze tint or Lexan Margard. Standard polycarbonate windows are aimed at track day, race and rally cars that need to be primarily lightweight and safe. They can scratch if they aren't looked after or are cleaned badly.

Bronze tint 'hides' fine scratches better than clear. I have this in the back of my Nova track car which I use and abuse to put it politely.

Margard has a hard coating and is an 'Anti-Abrasion' material. Not scratch proof but much more resistant to surface scratches than standard or bronze polycarboante. I have this in the front of my Nova as it has sliders in, and it is yet to show signs of swirl marks or scratching over a year after it was installed. It is still just as strong and light as any other polycarbonate. They do come at a bit of a premium (extra £50 for pair front windows with sliders, extra £80 for all 3 rears in Margard) but will be much more suited to what you will be using your car for.

On the flip side, one of the first kits we ever made in standard polycarbonate is still in an Evo (white with lime green detailing, always at Castle Combe) and he has found a method of polishing the windows to keep them in pristine condition.

As for winding windows in the fronts, you could use Margard windows without sliders, but we would definately not recommend you using standard polycarbonate in there as they will scratch if there is any dirt on the weatherstrip.

In my honest opinion, if the car isn;t a race car I'd go for a set of bronze tinted rears and keep glass in the fronts. You could put some pop-out vents in the rears which look very cool, I believe 'Burnard' had them in his car IIRC.

All depends on your budget and the finish you would like to the car.

Hope this helps
Dan

Edited by mini-man-dan, 27 February 2012 - 11:57 PM.

#35 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

Offer is still valid :-) 10% Off to all of TMF .

#36 amarcd

amarcd

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

just sent you a PM about window scoops.

#37 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

still havent managed to look at my mates windows yet - but yeah, if i use new rubbers i dont see how they would rattle about!!

I would rather go for winding windows than the sliders so i suppose that would rule out that leak.

the car will be a sunny weather car, pampered in the garage, so how big a problem is the fact that the windows are easily scratched?

I have a set from ACW and i can assure you that once properly fitted, they rattle no more than standard glass. Fitted a year ago, still strong and looking good, highly reccomendable service :thumbsup:

#38 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

Good to hear :-)

#39 Monstrous

Monstrous

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:04 PM

Received my rear quarter and rear screen from ACW yesterday, very good quality, happy customer :)

I'd be interested to know how people have found it easiest to fit the rear quarters into fixed rubbers? rubber on the window first, with string in the groove and try and pull it over the body or rubber on the body and try and prise the window in?

#40 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

Stringing it in is the easiest way to do it by far for the rear quarters. Rear window the rubber goes on the car first.

#41 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

Bump :-)

#42 benpopham

benpopham

The Carbon Weezel

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

Just got mine, they are brilliant. Fast service and nice to deal with :) keep up the good work! Thank you!

#43 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

Cheers Ben.

Catch us this month at Castle Combe for both the Summer Action Day and the Mini World Action Day.

#44 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

Do you do a "bolt in" rear screen?

One that is oversized and can be bolted to the window aperture lip.

Thanks
King

#45 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Local Club: Boxhill Mini Club

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

Do you do a "bolt in" rear screen?

One that is oversized and can be bolted to the window aperture lip.

Thanks
King

I got all my windows from here. So yes they do ;).

Best to ring them up, very helpful on the phone. Don't forget your TMF discount though.

I think the total for mine was around £200 delivered. For doors with sliders, custom size rear quarters with pop out vents and a oversize rear screen. Included all the nuts and bolts and the daming tape i needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users