16 replies to this topic

#1 callumsfirstcar

callumsfirstcar

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:53 PM

my car will be 15 years old in march! but my test is on monday(13th november)

so what is the chances i can rant at someone at footman and james to persuade them to insure me?

has anyone else been insured on the ''clasic car policy'' when there car isnt really 15years old?

any help would be appriciated, thanks guys!:goaway:

#2 Darkscamp

Darkscamp

Drives the 'Thing'

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  • Local Club: Nottsaboutminis

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:56 PM

I'm guessing you did an online quote.

They will insure any age mini on a classic policy if you phone them. Lost count the number of times people have posted this topic

#3 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:59 PM

as soon as i saw FJ in the title i new were this was going

all ways ring insurance companys!

#4 callumsfirstcar

callumsfirstcar

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:03 PM

i have phoned them, im only 17 too! i dont think hey want to give me to many perks:P

but i wasnt speaking to a supivisor or management as far as im aware, would it worth asking for a higher ranked person to speak to do you think?

#5 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:17 PM

You should be able to get the mini insured as it will come under the classic marque

#6 davidv

davidv

Flowers of JOY.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:06 AM

With many insurance brokers they will see the car as a classic but you as to young to get a discount for the classic cover.many work on 21-25. :(

#7 tom3112

tom3112

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:38 AM

With many insurance brokers they will see the car as a classic but you as to young to get a discount for the classic cover.many work on 21-25. :(

i've got classic cover & i'm 17

#8 callumsfirstcar

callumsfirstcar

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:16 PM

tom what year is your car though?

#9 tom3112

tom3112

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:24 PM

92, i know it's over 15 but my friend has a 2000 and thats on classic policy. Just ring up :(

#10 davidv

davidv

Flowers of JOY.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:41 AM

Well done if they will cover you on Classic car covers at a younger age.I have found they have got very sharp on all classic covers even at my age(47)My 928 S was only £300 as a secound mint show car,i have had to sell it,a big loss but times are a bit tight for many of us and bought a Classic 924 costing me £160 a year to cover fully as a secound car.Hope you all do Well.It is a shock on quotes but you must get them i pay to much a year for my sports car also so have a fair view they never come down on some cars at any age . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#11 DeadBert

DeadBert

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:47 AM

My 2000 plate MPI is with Footman and James on classic cover, I just rang them for a quote. I'm 28 however.....

#12 twrminisport

twrminisport

Jesus

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:06 PM

when i was 17 they put me on a classic policy with my 1990 mini

#13 davidv

davidv

Flowers of JOY.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:03 AM

Good news aboves,nice that younger drivers get a fair deal sometimes.If you drive a Classic Car i would say you are a more mature driver even at 17.Most classic owners are a great bunch and we all love are car chats.Insurance costs so much these days for us all.If your Car is early 80s you have much more chance of a Classic cover with many Brokers also helps if it is a secound car.I have had a life of cars so also had to pay a fortune over the years of Sport.A Mini is one of the best old Classics to own,the prices have gone up so much over the years it was very easy in my day to own many Minis.Glad you still love them.For me at my age insurance(47) they still charge me to much for some of my cars the Scooby full race AWD turbo costs me still a few G a year to cover and i park him outside my gaf,they just will not reduce my fee,its the original Model and i have spent 53g on him from new and running daily.A new one is less than 20g then you have to spend on it to make it real.It has 4 doors is slim and a boot for my two stage Nitro bottles for real RUNS.My C stinks. :thumbsup:

#14 bushy46468

bushy46468

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:12 AM

litteraly just got of the phone from footman and james,
Firstly great customer service and fantastic knowledge.
I was only put on hold for a minimum of 1 minute which a real good for an insurance company
+ i spoke to an english person who was easy to understand, these seem to be hard to come by over the phone.

my mini is a 1275 with all the usual mods
im aged 20
and with third party fire and theft they quoted me £434.35 which in my oppinion is a fantastic quote
and for fully comp they quoted me £853.30 still not bad but pushing my budget.

another thing they mentioned was i had to be a member of a mini club for the policy to be
valied?
I am not a member of a club yet do i need to be?
if so which one?
and how much?

All in all a fantastic company who i cant rate any higher!

one thing i can say is give them a call much easier.

here is the land line number: 0121 561 4196

bush

#15 davidv

davidv

Flowers of JOY.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:23 AM

Another happy customer.There are a few Cassics car Cubs to have a look at.TMF-Plus Membership is very good value,the advice is free to where some charge for it.Call centres can be anywhere these days chats can be harder on the phone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users