6 replies to this topic

#1 monkeyboy

monkeyboy

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:28 AM

Hello to everbody, im lee and im 22 and im now about to be taking my driving test, so i'm looking for my first car.
With parctically no knowledge of minis or cars for that matter, i was wondering if anyone could could shed any light on a good model of mini that i should be lookin for.
I've got about 19 years motorbike experience behind me, and a workshop as well.
So any advice on easy to tune models would be fantastic.
cheers to all lee :grin:

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:01 AM

To be honest they're all pretty much the same. but if you want one to tune, first go for one with a carb, not the later injection ones. ( Some may say I'm slightly biased :cheese: )

Assuming you're going for performance, then a Disk brake equipped model would be better than drums. All minis 84 > have disks as std on the front (all have drums on the rear) but a number of pre 84's will have had a disk conversion of one form or another done, and it's not expensive if you stick with 12" or bigger wheels.

Bodywork condition should be one of you higher priorities as welding consumes a lot of time and effort ( and cash if you cant weld yourself ) you will find than 70's and early 80's models are on the whole in better condition than later 80's/90's, this is mainly due to the quality of the metal used.

Finally the engine, 998's are fun and will take to tuning very well but you can get to the point where the cost of tuning and power gains, are outstripped by a conversion to a 1275 based unit, and of course rebores of the 1330, 1380, 1430 etc etc... this is where relatively cheap power can be achived.

That's your starter for ten... happy hunting...

#3 monkeyboy

monkeyboy

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:07 AM

Thanks man, that kind of explains why the 80s + minis seem to be cheaper, carbs sounds like the best way to go.

Thanks very much much for your help.

One little thing that keeps popping up is A and A+ engines whats the difference? :grin:

#4 Don't Panic

Don't Panic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:48 AM

intresting the 70s and early 80s used better metal, i didn't know that. Wouldn't write off getting a late 80s or 90s particularly if you find one thats been treated, waxoiled etc... also later 1996 on rover models have the advantage of side-impact bars and an airbag, bit more modern equipment. But its personal preference really.

I would suggest that you don't need to start from scratch, you can often pickup someone elses project that has had the important work done particularly if you want to learn but not be in the deep-end too quick, although make sure its been done well. have a look in the back of mini mags you'll see what i mean.

at 22 insurance shouldn't be too bad, im just 22 with a highly modified mini (1293cc) and 0 no claims bonus and im about £750 fully comp.

#5 monkeyboy

monkeyboy

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:50 AM

Cheers man.

What insurance company do you use.

#6 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:00 AM

Hey and welcome to TMF..

If you are 22 and have use of another car you can get classic car insurance for about 400 fully comp with 0 bonus and an agreed value

Lancaster insurance... click me

They will agree the value of you vehicle which is the best way to go with minis..

Happy Mini Hunting

#7 Foxy Mini

Foxy Mini

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Local Club: East Coast Mini Club

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:23 AM

Hello and welcome to TMF :rolleyes: Enjoy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users