Photo

New Penalties For Owners Of Uninsured Vehicles.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:05 PM

I can't find the bit that says the vehicle has to be tax'd to be insured! (Maybe I'm just being thick though!)

I really need to SORN my bike as the insurance has run out, but it's got a bit of tax left on!

The idea is, if its the vehicle is taxed its being used or intending to be used on the road. So it must also have valid insurance.

So if its still taxed but not insured, you either have to send the tax disk back and declare it sorn or insure it even if you don’t plan on using it.

And once it registered on the database that’s its taxed with no insureance, they will automatically send the letter.

#17 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:09 PM

does no one seem to realise that this has, in reality been the situation for a long long time, just never enforced due to lack of technology.

When buying a tax disk you HAVE to produce a valid insurance certificate and MOT.

Its not different to the rules already, they have just decided they would like to make some money out of it.

Greedy ********

#18 ShoutforJoy

ShoutforJoy

One Carb Or Two?

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+, Automatic Mini Register

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:14 PM

When buying a tax disk you HAVE to produce a valid insurance certificate and MOT.

But you can cancel the insurance the day after and keep the tax. This is what they are trying to stop. You will now have to send the tax back and SORN the vehicle when you cancel the insurance or it runs out. When you come to tax it again you will need to have insurance.

It's a sledgehammer to crack a nut and has many shortcomings.

Edited by ShoutforJoy, 05 January 2011 - 10:15 PM.

#19 mikey72

mikey72

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:16 PM

does no one seem to realise that this has, in reality been the situation for a long long time, just never enforced due to lack of technology.

Its not different to the rules already, they have just decided they would like to make some money out of it.

Greedy ********

But your dad can buy the tax disc on day insurance. Then you can drive it on an other car extension for the other 364.

Subaru for the price of a corsa.

Edited by mikey72, 05 January 2011 - 10:17 PM.

#20 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:17 PM

Greedy ********

Ah but there’s never been a limit to how long left there is to run on the insurance or mot when buying the tax.

I’ve done it before in the past when the insurance or mot (normally mot) are about to run out and bought the tax beforehand. So in effect the vehicle is taxed but isn’t insured or moted. With this system you can’t do that, it also presumes everyone that’s a motorist is guilty beforehand.

#21 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:59 PM

I can't find the bit that says the vehicle has to be tax'd to be insured! (Maybe I'm just being thick though!)

I really need to SORN my bike as the insurance has run out, but it's got a bit of tax left on!

http://www.direct.go...rance/DG_186696

It needs to be insured if it's not sorned.

Reading it, it can be insured, and sorned.

It can't have road tax, if it's not insured.

Would have been better just to have a sticker from the insurance comany.

That's how I read it, but someone said it needed to be taxed to be insured????

#22 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

What BS !!!

I have many cars and move my 3 insurance policies around to suit my needs and what Ifancy driving that week.

Hard enough keeping on top of SORN. What a load of hassle to keep up with a new law designed to catch scumbags who don't really get any penalty anyway.
Traders policy for me I think.

#23 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:04 PM

http://www.theminifo...x...985&hl=sorn

That was the last topic made on the same subject.

#24 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:07 PM

What BS !!!

I have many cars and move my 3 insurance policies around to suit my needs and what Ifancy driving that week.

Hard enough keeping on top of SORN. What a load of hassle to keep up with a new law designed to catch scumbags who don't really get any penalty anyway.
Traders policy for me I think.

Bit off topic........but....

This works for me..

http://www.tradexins...fleet-insurance

You can stick as many cars as you like up to a pre agreed max value and not pay any more.

#25 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:16 PM

I think it's more aimed at people who drive fast sports cars "owned" by their mum or dad, on the driving other cars extension on their own policy for a 1l corsa that hasn't moved for months.
Now dad will have to insure the impreza himself too.

any vehicle on the road has to be covered for third party insurance, you haven't been able to do that for years. if a car isn't insured it will ping up on anpr.

Hmmm... I can see the logic but there aint half a number of pitfalls which will scupper this...

eg... I have trade insurance, I have some of my cars detailed on the policy, but the vast majority I don't, however, I'm insured to drive ANY car which is in my custody, and like wise ANY car is insured which is within my custody.

pretty certain you are meant to put any vehicle you own onto a trade policy after 10 days? think that's what mine says?

#26 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:53 AM

Hmmm... I can see the logic but there aint half a number of pitfalls which will scupper this...

eg... I have trade insurance, I have some of my cars detailed on the policy, but the vast majority I don't, however, I'm insured to drive ANY car which is in my custody, and like wise ANY car is insured which is within my custody.

pretty certain you are meant to put any vehicle you own onto a trade policy after 10 days? think that's what mine says?

It is recommended but not essential, and you can't put a car on there if you're not the registered owner, which obviously as a trader I'm not the registered owner of any of the cars I buy to sell.

#27 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:09 AM

It is recommended but not essential, and you can't put a car on there if you're not the registered owner, which obviously as a trader I'm not the registered owner of any of the cars I buy to sell.

i've had stuff on my traders policy that haven't been registered in my own name.

#28 mikey72

mikey72

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:35 AM

I think it's more aimed at people who drive fast sports cars "owned" by their mum or dad, on the driving other cars extension on their own policy for a 1l corsa that hasn't moved for months.
Now dad will have to insure the impreza himself too.

any vehicle on the road has to be covered for third party insurance, you haven't been able to do that for years. if a car isn't insured it will ping up on anpr.

It will show on the anpr. As you have got third party cover, you can carry on after showing your policy. And, yes, you can be stopped several times, but you're legal. Now you won't be.

#29 new_zealand _minis

new_zealand _minis

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Local Club: wellington new zealand

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

haha we dont have anpr here or have to have insurance .

. and they cant take ur car if you dont have rego or wof / (tax or mot ) and they dont crush cars here either drive round like a old grandad in my mini or metro and never get caught life is good

#30 Jacko-lah

Jacko-lah

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Local Club: Derbyshire Classic Mini OC

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:23 AM

So say i have a car at home on the drive (Repairs for arguments sake) Even if i declare sorn due to no tax i still have to insure it? Or have i got it wrong?

Yes. If you sorn it, you don't have to insure it.

The problem for the law abidding people of the UK is that people (like the rasta gangsta from toxteth I sold a mk2 cavalier to) buy a car with TAX, but have no intention of insuring it.

However there are other people who have a car which is taxed, but not insured, such as

1) people who are doing significant repairs, and maybe the insurance ran out whilst it was off the road, being fixed, so why spend money on insurance UNTIL you need to.
2) people who buy a replacement vehicle, intending to sell the current vehicle (which has tax) and they swap over the insurance, but the car is easier to sell with tax - so much less hassle buying a car that has a couple of days of tax on it !
3) Traders, such as garages. Mate of mine pays £7500 quid a year to insure all his mechanics, in any vehicle they are working on, plus 2 unspecified company vehicles, as long as they are taxed. (I think that's what he said) .

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users