34 replies to this topic

#1 OllieTheWelder

OllieTheWelder

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

Hello! I currently own a 1988 Austin Mini Mayfair and I want to make it look like a classic mini rally car.
Posted Image

I would like to give it a full respray with a white roof and the spotlights. I would also like to put some alloys on it, what size would be best for rally type events?(mainly just for a bit of fun) This is how my mini is now
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I still would like to use it on the road though so no drastic modifications! Is there anything else I would need to know?

Thanks, Ollie.

#2 huw_jenks

huw_jenks

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:46 PM

Well, spot lamps and bumper overriders will be a good start. Some rally minis had an extra reversing spotlamp on the back which looks cool, and maybe a roofrack if you don't mind exchanging looks for a MPG. A sumpguard would be good too. And paint the roof white or black, it will look good with the red.

However, i'm fairly sure you won't be able to put the reg. number up on the bonnet. It would look very cool, but your Mini is from 1988 so I doubt it would be allowed.

Oh and what size are those wheels? They look like 12", so a rally look mini would look better on 10"s. Either some skinny Minilites or standard steel wheels. The problem is that your car will have 8.4" discs so you will either have to change to a 7.5" or 7.9" brake setup or some drums! Perhapps more work than you want to do.

#3 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:52 PM

Leather bonnet straps :D Regards Blue

#4 OllieTheWelder

OllieTheWelder

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:52 PM

Well, spot lamps and bumper overriders will be a good start. Some rally minis had an extra reversing spotlamp on the back which looks cool, and maybe a roofrack if you don't mind exchanging looks for a MPG. A sumpguard would be good too. And paint the roof white or black, it will look good with the red.

However, i'm fairly sure you won't be able to put the reg. number up on the bonnet. It would look very cool, but your Mini is from 1988 so I doubt it would be allowed.

Oh and what size are those wheels? They look like 12", so a rally look mini would look better on 10"s. Either some skinny Minilites or standard steel wheels. The problem is that your car will have 8.4" discs so you will either have to change to a 7.5" or 7.9" brake setup or some drums! Perhapps more work than you want to do.

Thanks for that. I was wondering about what wheel size would be right for off road and I would of agreed with 10" I think. I am still wondering what would look best for it, Road or Rally. I am willing to do work on it I was just looking for some opinions.

#5 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:30 AM

Hi..I've taken mine as close as I can without a role cage and of cause external hinge mod..........

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 yousmeg

yousmeg

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet...

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:10 AM

I want to make a works replica one day, i love yours Mk1leg

#7 Pelvisgt

Pelvisgt

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:30 AM

In the picture of the monte carlo rallye mini has anyone copied the light that is on the roof ? lol

Just get some spot lights, tune the engine up a little with a stage one kit which you can buy at most car retailers and wack some alloys on it.

If you were going to convert your mini to a mk1 then it will take a lot of little things to create the full look but would be cool.

mk1leg your mini is really something !!

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,051 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:43 PM

Go on, build a real rally car and use it in competition not a 'make-believe' one. Real ones are much better.
I can let you have a full specification if you need one for either an Historic Mini or one for Endurance rallying.

#9 coopdog

coopdog

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

i wouldn worry to much on the respray unless you can do it yourself or get it dirt cheap,
thought about a stage one kit

#10 DAVEY_C

DAVEY_C

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: irish minis owner club

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

Go on, build a real rally car and use it in competition not a 'make-believe' one. Real ones are much better.
I can let you have a full specification if you need one for either an Historic Mini or one for Endurance rallying.

i totaly agree and a prity good spec sheet it is too, has acounted for everything needed.

if you are going to build it don't just build a looker, it realy pointless without the beef, there's no point in just slapping on a stage1 when you should realy be making the engine stronger and quicker out of corners etc...

check the rules aand see what modifications you are allowed

#11 markg54

markg54

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:25 PM

Posted Image

Hi there, i was just wondering what you used for the bar to hold your lamps on there^^^^ or where you got it from?

#12 miniboy94

miniboy94

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:10 PM

im looking at turning my mini into a rally car to, at the moment iv already got loads of stuff to go on but carnt find the specs any where ? for what you need to enter a rally if that makes sence.

i brought my mini already with spot lamps and arches and alloy but changed my alloys 2 times already and my exhaust system twice and my carb from single to twin to makeit sound better and better power :)

but if i had a blank canver like you (super Mini Mad) i would go for the hole full blown look single alloy tank in boot, spot lamps or pods of bonnet ? 10inch wheel but run the 7.5inch disc and minifins drums on rear like :)

#13 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:35 PM

I had this from many years ago.......its the Brigden from 1994 monte tribute rally cars built to celibrate 30 years of 33 EJB winning in 1964

brigdenmontecarlomini001.jpg

brigden2001.jpg

bridgen3001.jpg

#14 RedRallyMini

RedRallyMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:45 AM

i totaly agree and a prity good spec sheet it is too, has acounted for everything needed.

if you are going to build it don't just build a looker, it realy pointless without the beef, there's no point in just slapping on a stage1 when you should realy be making the engine stronger and quicker out of corners etc...

check the rules aand see what modifications you are allowed

A rally car is NOT a rally car because it has a lot of horsepower, you can compete in rallies with whatever car you want, even a BMW Isetta for instance.

There's a guy over here (Belgium) driving rallies with a standard mk1 cooper s (certainly not a 1275) and he's having the time of his life, there's even somebody with an Opel Ascona diesel and he's one of the most spectacular drivers. 

Here's a video of the Ascona diesel:

You do NOT need a powerful car to drive rallies but you need one to win rallies...

#15 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,051 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

A rally car must, more than anything else, be both strong & quiet. It is VERY expensive to build a rally car of any type.

The noise regulations are strict, so a twin box centre-exit system is needed. 

The ride height needs to be raised slightly and the exhaust strengthened so that it can't break when it comes into contact with the ground.

For night events you need an up-rated alternator and a pair of proper big driving lights on a substantial mounting bracket.

A sump guard and oil cooler are an absolute must, as are competition brake pads (not EBC Green s**t).

Best wheel width is 4.5" with 165 section tyres.

Damping must be improved (SPAX, GAZ or similar).

Brake, fuel and battery lines must be run inside the car from back to front in accordance with the regulations.

A map light, navigator power sockets and navigation instrumentation is essential (e.g.:  Brantz trip meter, twin clocks, stopwatch).

For historics a big reversing light is allowed, but for modern events only the standard reversing light is permitted.

Either remove or only use narrow wheel arch extensions as they can easily get knocked off in competition. With the 4.5" wheels no arch extensions are needed.

Remove all the sound-deadening under the trim panels & carpets. It is surprising how much that all weighs.

By the way, rally Minis did not have roof racks whilst on competitive sections. The roof racks were only fitted to the 'works' cars when the regulations made them necessary and they were removed before the quick sections. Roof racks knock a lot off the top speed and increase fuel consumption, neither of which is a good idea for rallying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users