#1 miniman86

miniman86

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • Local Club: smag, Waltham Abby

Posted 23 December 2005 - 04:43 PM

hi minivan running good untill it gets to night time driving down country lanes, i flick on the high beam and out go all the lights and the switch starts smokin, someone help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 04:48 PM

Exactly how many spotlamps have you added to the main beam circuit to cause this?

Your switch needs replacing and any modifications to your lighting circuit need to be removed.

But if you don't have silly numbers of extra lamps then it must be a short in the lighting circuit somewhere. Have a good look at all your headlamp wiring. There are no fuses in the headlamp circuit so it'll just keep running like this until it catches fire. You will probably need to replace a good amount of the front wiring loom if it's been doing this for any length of time as the wiring could be just as melted as the switch.

Oh and if someone with greater powers than me could move this to the right place that would be lovely.

Edited by Dan, 23 December 2005 - 04:52 PM.

#3 miniman86

miniman86

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 05:01 PM

the switch hasnt actually melted and i tried another switch only to find out its doing the same thing. i have no spot lamps added, which is why i cant understand why its happening!!

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:11 PM

Then there's got to be a short in the wiring. I'd try the bullet connectors first.

A good idea is to seperate every connector in the headlamp circuit first. Then add some kind of fuse (around 10 amps continuous) in to the circuit between the solenoid and the switch (even if it's only temporary) and then start connecting the system back together in order with the power on. When the fuse blows you will have found the dodgy part of the circuit. There are several sections of the circuit, it starts at the solenoid and goes to the lighting switch, then to the dip switch, then to the bullet connectors behind the grille and then to the two looms for the lamp units.

Good luck.

#5 miniman86

miniman86

• Members
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:56 AM

ok thanks alot for that, ill try that tomorrow, cant today as its snowing and my red mini is garaged and i aint doing it in the snow!! haha

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users