5 replies to this topic

#1 1293clubby

1293clubby

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 12:50 AM

Why does eveyone say fibre flip fronts are hard to make fit well. Is it the shape of the edge that butts against the scuttle? is it the placement of hinges? Surely with enough dzus fasteners and bonnet pins fitment should be ok. Why is it different to a steel flip front?

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 26 December 2005 - 12:02 PM

A lot of fibre glass fronts are taken from molds of original steel fronts.. the problem is that when the front is put on to a mini it's 'shuffled' around a bit to fit, you know move the wing up an 1/8th here, the other back a bit there, to get the fit.... what this means is that within tollerence each front is fairly unique to the mini, and hence a fibreglass front from one mold may not quite fit another mini, and a little bit of modification is required...

With steel fronts, these are generally either the original front of the car, in my case, or a complete new front fashioned from new steel panels, therefore the jiggling around is done when you fit it..

#3 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:23 PM

people say it because nobody ever spends enough time on them! originally, mine fitted TERRIBLY, after a few hours fidling it was pretty good, ive left it for the last year, as ive been more occupied with the engine and other bits.....

but when it has its bodywork overhaul this summer, ill spend a good few days entirely on the front, and get it fitting PERFECTLY. its really not that hard at all! its just a case of taking your time with a file, and being VERY careful!

#4 DANTOO

DANTOO

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:47 PM

I see ;D

What would you guys say where better? Carbon Fibre Flip fronts or Fibre glass?

The only reason I want either one of them is to avoid rust..

fibre glass does crack... but doesnt carbon fibre as well??

#5 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:54 PM

Carbon Fiber rarely cracks. More prone to delamination. This is when the layers of carbon fiber start to seperate from each other.

Delamination occurs when the carbon fiber panel has an impact on its edge.

#6 DANTOO

DANTOO

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:17 PM

Ah right I see!

Thats great cheers,

So it is ok to file or in better terms sand down the carbon fibre edges to make fit? ;D Or will it start fraying?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users