#1 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:26 PM

I've been looking at conversions and would love a vtec, but I won't chop my front end. I won't cut out my inner wings. Maybe a little trim but not removal. I though my olny option would be (at a REAL squeeze) would be a D15b and the smallest gearbox I could get to fit it.

But I came across this pic while researching gearboxes, anyone know anything about it? It's actually my dream come true.

Posted Image

Edited by evansisgreat, 27 January 2011 - 10:27 PM.

#2 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:39 PM

Its not a standard nose mate, its been extended, the lines just don't look right? I'll put money on that!

Even the best engineer will not be able to get that much clearance between the bottom right of the rocker cover and wing, and that looks like the honda alternator tucked in there, so definitely not standard length roundnose

And those inner wings don't look right? They look homemade

IF that is standard roundnose (which I still don't think it is) the dash must be sitting where the gearstick would be on a normal mini! and the front seats would be mounted so far back as you would need to cut soooooo much out of the bulkhead, can't see it, yes people are clever and skilled but even they would come to sense at some point?

Looks a nice and neat conversion but it also looks extended

And you can get one into a roundnose without chopping the front end off or much of the wings out, but if you need to work on or around the engine you need to drop the engine/frame each time if you can't get to a bit from the bay.....alot of hassle unless you got a 4 poster lift at home :thumbsup:

All depends on what frame you start off with in the first place

#3 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:01 AM

Damn, you're quite right. I dunno how I didn't see it before. I guess I was just seeng what I wanted to see. I think you're completely right about the B series, but I reckon if I can find a small enough gear box and a tiny alternator then I can squeeze a small D15b in. Because I need vtec in my life.

If not I'll wait for Honda to develop smaller engines, surely that's the way things are going....

#4 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:06 AM

Pretty sure you can get a small block Vaux in a standard round nose without extending? Or is your heart set on Honda?

#5 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:07 AM

Actually scrap that, I think the inner wings still need to be cut even though it fits in the standard sized round nose front.

#6 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:16 AM

Well, the only conversion I've seen, that I'm 100% sure needs no body mods is the micra conversion. I'm after around 130hp and the micra enginecan do it, but it needs mapping, cams and a little head work and all that adds up and there's not much of a market for preformance parts for it.

More head scratching I reckon (and questions no doubt).
Glad I've got tmf to keep my feet on the ground.

#7 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:21 AM

A series turbo? can get got than 130bhp quite easily, ******* loads of torque, and its still fairly original?

#8 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:22 AM

If not I'll wait for Honda to develop smaller engines, surely that's the way things are going....

Yeah they are making smaller turbo engines but the problem is the frames, if your wanting an off-the-shelf frame for honda/vauxhall/whatever then you are limited to what will go in a standard nose with hardly any inner wings cut, not sure on the suzukis though but you can see the build diaries over there for an idea

If you can make your own frame then your onto a winner, you can choose whatever you think will fit, but I reckon most will need at least some if not most of the inners cut

Main problem is A-series gearbox sits under the engine so its compact, compared with the 'modern' engines gearbox bolted on the side so the inner wings just get in the way, which is really selfish of them :thumbsup:

#9 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:31 AM

I am in the same boat.
I would like to hybrid the pick up, but dont want to butcher it and would like the option to put it back to standard if i want.

I was thinking either small block vaux, but now i might be interested in the micra if it really does fit without the inner wings needing cutting. Thats food for thought!!!

I think once someone decided to go hybrid mini, theres not much chance of talking them into staying a series. I love the a series, but a 110bhp a series is a totally different beast to a 110bhp Micra/honda/vaux engine. You just cant compare the two

#10 rick.spi

rick.spi

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:33 AM

i put money a 110 bhp a series turbo would eat a supposed 110 bhp engine conversion purely down to the turbo, turbos create torque :thumbsup: its not uncommon to see the turbo minis beating vtec minis

Edited by rick.spi, 28 January 2011 - 12:34 AM.

#11 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:41 AM

i put money a 110 bhp a series turbo would eat a supposed 110 bhp engine conversion purely down to the turbo, turbos create torque :thumbsup: its not uncommon to see the turbo minis beating vtec minis

Maybe, but your assuming speed and acceleration are the only factors to be considered when deciding between hybrid or a series

#12 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:46 AM

I think once someone decided to go hybrid mini, theres not much chance of talking them into staying a series. I love the a series, but a 110bhp a series is a totally different beast to a 110bhp Micra/honda/vaux engine. You just cant compare the two

I only chose Honda as I wanted something different, I actually had no problems with my a-series in the time I had it so I still have alot of respect for the engine, the power thing is different for everyone, I didn't want silly huge power I just figured a hybrid swap would be a nice upgrade for power and modern day reliability and five gears but more importantly its something different - yes I know vauxhall/hondas have been done to death since the year dot but how many minis do you come across on the road and they have a hybrid engine?

As for all the banter between the vauxhall lot for torque and honda lot for revs its all down to what you want from the car and how your gonna use it

#13 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:46 AM

In an ideal world I'd keep the A series and supercharge, but the gearbox is such a liability. I know peope say they're fine but something doesn't get a bad reputation on it's own. A turbo A series can beat many a vtec but I've heard they're not as drivable as an n/a engine with that kind of power and this is my everyday car. Another reason for thinking vtec as they are reliable machines.

The plan is to make my own subframe, learning how to weld as of next week and I plan to keep mini suspension brakes and steering so it's a simpler conversion.

#14 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:49 AM

i put money a 110 bhp a series turbo would eat a supposed 110 bhp engine conversion purely down to the turbo, turbos create torque :X its not uncommon to see the turbo minis beating vtec minis

I've seen a non turbo A-series 'beat' a vtec? :thumbsup:

If you want a drag car, build a drag car, if you want a useable car on the road then choose whatever engine you can look after/build/replace/whatever

#15 rick.spi

rick.spi

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:50 AM

no there not the only factors, but if your talking about reliability, that isnt a factor because if an a series is built and maintained well its as reliable as a modorn motor, ok maybe not quite as long lasting on the overall life but a series are alot better than theyre reputation states, its down to poor maintained and bodged engine as to why people say its unreliable, ie someone buying a nackard metro turbo lump then boosting it right up without madifying it to be able to take it and it goes bang, this is the users fault not the engines... :thumbsup: not saying there more reliabe that would be silly, but theyre not as bad as people make out.

and with a small turbo engine well stup on megajolt, you could see good mpg off boost on a motorway run.

drivability comes with a smaller more modern turbo, along with rose joints and solid mountings to cure the torquesteer a bit

swings and roundabouts.

Edited by rick.spi, 28 January 2011 - 12:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users