22 replies to this topic

#16 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:54 AM

no there not the only factors, but if your talking about reliability, that isnt a factor because if an a series is built and maintained well its as reliable as a modorn motor, ok maybe not quite as long lasting on the overall life but a series are alot better than theyre reputation states, its down to poor maintained and bodged engine as to why people say its unreliable, ie someone buying a nackard metro turbo lump then boosting it right up without madifying it to be able to take it and it goes bang, this is the users fault not the engines... :thumbsup: not saying there more reliabe that would be silly, but theyre not as bad as people make out.

and with a small turbo engine well stup on megajolt, you could see good mpg off boost on a motorway run.

drivability comes with a smaller more modern turbo, along with rose joints and solid mountings to cure the torquesteer a bit

swings and roundabouts.

I partly agree. Not AS unreliable as people say, but they certainly are less reliable than a modern engine. Fact.
yes All engines need to be looked after, but a modifed A series will demand a hell of a lot more attention that a hybrid, even a modfifed hybrid.

Lol fail to the amount of newbs that over boost a freshly bought ebay engine!!!
I just want to roll up a newspaper and hit them on the end of the nose and sternly say "no, NO!"

You need to compare apples to apples, etc you cant compare a modified A series to a standard Hybrid.
If you put as much effort into upgrading and tuning the hybrid engine as you would the A series turbo, then the a series still couldnt compete.

As I said, I LOVE the A series. Its just for all round usability, reliability AND possible modifications, a hybrid makes more sense.

But I dont just have one mini, so will make sure that at least one mini (all be it the misses one) maintains an a series.

Edited by E.L.M.O, 28 January 2011 - 12:58 AM.

#17 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:00 AM

i can see the attraction in a modern engine, in fact before i decided to go turbo i very nearly brought a 2 litre vtec. its all about what you yourself want at the end of the day

im not putting down the modern engines because they are what they are, efficient, modern with all the tecnology of time. just think its fair to defend the A series against its bad reputation. :thumbsup:

#18 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:01 AM

The plan is to make my own subframe, learning how to weld as of next week and I plan to keep mini suspension brakes and steering so it's a simpler conversion

Good move on learning to weld, if you can make your own frame eventually then :thumbsup:

#19 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:03 AM

swings and roundabouts

So after all that speech it comes down to swings and roundabouts?

I could've told you that! :thumbsup: As Elmo said there is no point in comparasion, its all down to what you want and how. I think you must think everyone who has or is looking to go to a maybe to a hybrid swap hates the A-series?

Open your mind mate, we're not all haterz :X

#20 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:08 AM

read back mate, open my mind.... ive just defended both, havnt assumed anything just made some valid points...

Edited by rick.spi, 28 January 2011 - 01:09 AM.

#21 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:27 AM

read back mate, open my mind.... ive just defended both, havnt assumed anything just made some valid points...

Yes I read, your points are valid, my reply had started hitting the keyboard as soon as I had finished reading yours, sorry if typing my reply is slow for you but thats your issue not mine, I am trying to learn to type quicker so bear with me :thumbsup:

As for assuming, yes you did, with your betting money post, problem is most honda/vauxhall/hybrid swap people would probably side with your bet!!!!! but unfortunately most A-series purists do automatically see the hybrid as the antichrist :X

My minds been open since I bought my mini and nothing has changed, I do and still love the A-series, but I also love hybrid swaps? Why? Because it keeps the mini out there

We can fill this up with pages and pages of c**p if you want, it don't bother me but it might bother the OP

#22 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:43 AM

I don't think that your going to get many hybrid engines in a mini without cutting the inner wings. Without the gearbox underneath, it makes the unit very wide.

If you want to keep your front dimensions somewhere near original go for micra, but thats by no means a bolt in conversion.

As for the debate about the a-series/hybrid. Its all down to budget, skill, and needs from the car. Loads of people don't build hybrid minis for power, although a lot of them do. Many do it for the refinment and smoothness that comes with a modern motor.

At the moment, I use my car nearly everyday but want power, so am going down the a-series turbo route as it means that while being modified, the car will be off the road for minimal time, with minimal modifcation to the car's shell, and can be done bit by bit. Saying that, I have made up my mind that this is the last time I spend big money on the a-series engine. Once this engine im building needs some more money spent on it, it's being ditched and a modern one being transplanted. Let's be fair its design is very old now. 60 years old this year!

There are a lot of parts you wouldnt fit to your car now that where released in 1951!!

I want a vaux turbo motor eventualy, but will get to grips with the a series turbo for now. I actualy realy like the a-series engine, I've messed around with a few different engines now, theres not many you can take apart with a couple of spanners.

Im going to have to try and remember to re-read thiose after tomorrow to spell cheack it as ive just got in form town :thumbsup:

#23 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:31 AM

In an ideal world I'd keep the A series and supercharge, but the gearbox is such a liability. I know peope say they're fine but something doesn't get a bad reputation on it's own

I looked at a supercharger kit before deciding just to buy a stage 3. The gearbox aint the problem, at the very minimum you need a x-pin diff, alot of people just bolt these on a standard box and off they go.......and the same with the block.......although the earlier ones were sold as a 'bolt on kit' I don't think its a simple case of bolt on and go, thus causing a bad rep

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users