#1 nigel

nigel

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

hi,

looking for advice on the best way to convert my mini shell to mk1 back lights. i have bought the new gusset plates from minispares, need to know the best way to let them in though.

when you offer them up they are bigger than the existing rear light hole. so which option is best to use;-

1; carefully mark out the shape of the gusset on the rear panel and cut out the metal and try and weld in the gusset.
2; leave the existing hole as is, but cut out the brackets on the inside that hold the lights in place then offer up the gusset plate from inside, weld and then use filler to make smooth
3; lay the gusset on top of the body over the existing hole, weld and use filler again to make up the differance. ( this looks the most awkward to do and would take more time to get right i think)

surely someone on here has done this job and made a decent job of it so looking for advice.

cheers all

#2 DAVEY_C

DAVEY_C

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: irish minis owner club

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

there are loads of topics here that would answer you question... i cut the back panel but others have trimmed the gusset, work in progress.... both have been successfull but others say that the latter gives you the option of going back to square lights in the future with no need to buy repair panels. your 3rd option to me would not be an option because i couldn't see it looking right but maybe someone has done it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:13 PM

I used a geniune mk1 rear panel and cut out the lts and then welded them in...............

Posted Image

Posted Image

........ :thumbsup:

#4 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

You really do need to cut-out and weld in - or change the whole back panel which may be the best/neatest way, especially if the back panel has any rust along the bottom edge.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users