14 replies to this topic

#1 The Ginger one

The Ginger one

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:42 PM

hi all, i currently own a set of four wolfrace slotmags that are 5Jx10. three of which have camac steel belted radial tyres, they are 145 R10's and have BN313 wrote on the side. i would like to know if anyone knows where i could get one or two if possible as one tyre burst before i purchased them. i would also be interested in knowing if anyone knows the original paint code for the red/orange that is inbetween the spokes as im having them refurbished.

any information would be helpful thanks :o

The Ginger One

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:07 AM

Do yourself a favour, burst the other Camacs too and get something less likely to result in your death instead! Camacs are nicknamed DitchfindersTM for a reason.

#3 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:35 AM

Do yourself a favour, burst the other Camacs too and get something less likely to result in your death instead! Camacs are nicknamed DitchfindersTM for a reason.

Quite :o

#4 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:47 PM

Camacs are ok tyres, last for a long time but that is because the rubber is hard. For a budget tyre you can do alot worse.
I don't think they have made mini tyres for a good few years (in 145 I think now only Falken and Dunlop are the only road options) so the tyres on your alloys will prob be due replacement and it would give you the chance to get some 165's on them :)

#5 daddycool

daddycool

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:57 PM

I bought a set of 6x10 wellers and they have camacs on them. The bloke I bought them off said they were about 9 years old! Neadless to say I'm goin to take them off and take them to the dump!

DC

#6 blackbelt1990

blackbelt1990

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Local Club: Minimus Maximus

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

I nearly died with the Camacs on my cooper, slid off the road in the wet :) got trusty Yokos now that stick in allsorts!

The Camacs have proved good in the snow though... thanks to their tread being forever deep! ha

#7 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 10:39 AM

Hello

I dig out this old topic, I hope somebody will read :)

I plan to buy a set of BN313 for my '75 Mini 1000 which won't be driven every day just at weekends.

What are the new opinions about these tyres ?

Thanks

#8 MiNiKiN

MiNiKiN

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 03:33 PM

Hello

I plan to buy a set of BN313 for my '75 Mini 1000 which won't be driven every day just at weekends.

Thanks

Funny coincidence - a few minutes ago I just asked the same question to jomaoliveira79 (who sems to use them according to a previous post) in a PM. I am interested in experience with the narrower BN313 Camac though.

Edited by MiNiKiN, 15 February 2021 - 03:34 PM.

#9 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 06:34 PM

Hello

Thanks

Funny coincidence - a few minutes ago I just asked the same question to jomaoliveira79 (who sems to use them according to a previous post) in a PM. I am interested in experience with the narrower BN313 Camac though.

That's great ! Please share it with me if you're able :)

#10 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:17 AM

Theyre fine for a period look. Theyre not great in terms of rubber technology and grip. But at least theyre being moulded again now so you dont have to trust in 20+ year old tyres.

#11 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 16 February 2021 - 01:11 PM

Or you know, buy Blockleys for period look at actual grip etc. 

#12 MiNiKiN

MiNiKiN

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 02:07 PM

Or you know, buy Blockleys for period look at actual grip etc. 

Yes they are good at twice the price of the Camac - and I would definatly like to know what the Camacs are like nowadays - if needs be I'll make the guinea pig.

#13 MiNiKiN

MiNiKiN

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 01:51 PM

Because of popular demand  I share Jorge's experience with Camac tires. Though I myself might now go the entirely opposite route and fit Yoko A032R instead. F*ck the money and period look - get some grip :mrcool: 

In the 70's and 80's Camac tyres were made with value in mind and for portuguese motorists that meant cheap and long lasting tyres so they offered that to their costumers, therefore it was (is) common to find a 20 year old Camac tyre on a car. As their aged those already hard compound tyres got hard as rocks and dangerous.
I bought those tyres (45 euros a piece) new and freshly made from the factory itself (by the way it's a dinossaur age plant with 60's machines still working). Even with that crude build process (you will need proper tyre balance) my opinion is that those tyres are made with soft rubber and perfectly capable of safe motoring.
I have those tyres about 3 years on a Mk1 850 fitted tubeless on original steel wheels (previously had visually good condition 25 yers old 5.20 cross ply Camacs), so it's a slow car which is driven full throttle once in a while (fast cornering and even on highway at 120 km/h).
On corners, they bend a bit on their shoulders so are not sporty but more towards comfort.
I avoid driving in rain, but as I live in northern Portugal it happened several times in light rain (never heavy rain) and grip or braking was never a problem.
They have a very lovely 60's thread which is unbeatable at their price point and if you have a small bore engine car being driven on weekends I don't think you will regret buying them.

#14 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 04:50 PM

Thank you !

#15 jomaoliveira79

jomaoliveira79

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:17 AM

Yokohama tyres are indeed in other league (I also have a 1098 Clubman with A008).
May I suggest you having 2 sets of tyres;
One for looks (145 Camac on steel wheels) and other for performance (165 A032 on period alloys) and change accordingly to your use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users