#1 nosboy83

nosboy83

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:48 AM

hi.
My names matt and i hopefuly should be getting a mini cooper in the next month or so.
Trouble is this is will be my first mini and i dont have alot of background info on them and therefore im not sure which model to get e.g carb model or later 1.3i model.
Also some help on what to look for when buying a mini e.g where they rust and common mechanical/electrical faults.
I will do a proper search when i have a bit of time but i thought as this was my first post i could generate a bit more interest by asking some questions.
Whichever model i choose im looing at playing with the engine and suspension but keeping the bodywork pretty much standard to give it that stealth look

Anyways hi and the site looks great by the way
sorry for the long post lol

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 28 December 2005 - 12:18 PM

hello and welcome to tmf

i would go for a carb model and look out for rust :wink:

#3 Steve@RetroDash

Steve@RetroDash

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:03 PM

i had an spi cooper, it all depends if you want to tune it or keep it standard mate.

much easier to get a carb engine tuned :cheese:

nothing wrong with the injection models, you get more for a start like half leather monaco or full leather cooper sports seats, mpi's will have an Airbag and side impact bars.Some with 13" alloys (sportspack/ wide colour coded arches)

later cars that have been well looked after have less rust but the metal is thinner than older mini's and rust quicker if not protected with a good dousing of waxoil.

if you service it yourself like most people enjoy doing, buy a haynes manual and stock up on tools. nothing like learning through trial and error

:grin:

good luck in finding your perfect cooper :wink:

#4 nosboy83

nosboy83

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 07:28 PM

thanks peeps looks like his is a real good forum full of helpfull people. cant wait to get a little cooper! been driving the mrs mad for weeks now :) looks like im going to try to pick up a carb model as the idea behind me getting a cooper was that i wanted a reasonably cheap car that i can tune and mod myself whilst i save for a deposit on my first house.
I used to own jap cars but the cost of mods for a mini is far cheaper than the jap stuff plus whats the point in having a car with a high top speed these days? so many speed cameras about its far better to have a car that you can take down the twisties :grin:

#5 Steve@RetroDash

Steve@RetroDash

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 07:34 PM

thats the ticket mate :wink:

try www.miniworld.co.uk

and click on the classifieds. you can do a search with price range and mini type/age etc

happy hunting (don't go too cheap) if you want a daily runner get something over £1500 in my opinion. thats just my opinion though mate. spent £4000 on my first mini (spi) but still had loads of annoying niggles.

the thing with mini's - if it aint broke, it aint a mini

#6 nosboy83

nosboy83

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:05 AM

thanks mate im open to all advice.
thinking of going on a welding coarse at my local college :tongue: after all it aint jap :) but seriousley though can see this forum being a good source of knowledge.
cheap parts, cheap insurance, simple design :grin:plus a true classic happy days

#7 TJenkos

TJenkos

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:25 AM

This guy's learning quick :)

Welcome to The Mini Forum, What cars have you had? Sounds like youve had some fast ones!

Tom :)

#8 Ollie180

Ollie180

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
  • Local Club: Sasmog.co.uk

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:28 AM

Welcome to TheMiniForum

#9 Don't Panic

Don't Panic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:46 AM

good idea with the welding course... problem is you'll want to build a mini from scratch when you know how... and then another... and another... so who needs a house to live in just get a van (mini of course) with a mattress :cheese:

P.S. ive only had mine a couple of months and i already want a fleet (racers, modernised, classic, italian job) Oh if only i win the lottery.

#10 nosboy83

nosboy83

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:53 AM

havent had anything that interesting to be honest. civic vti was about the quickest. That was pre ebay though so parts had to come from import companies or sourced from japan.
I think i paid something like £600 for my exhaust!

I just feel that with the way the roads are these days its far more fun to have a car with a insane ability to corner than it is to have a car your going to loose your licence in. Mate of mine had a yellow evo 5 that was just pure sex to drive but he had it about a month before the transfer box let go which cost him 4k to replace!

Very nearly bought a integra type-r before x-mass but just couldn't bring myself to part with 7k of my money when im looking at buying a house. Plus hondas service scedual on the type-r is a joke.

#11 crocstarr

crocstarr

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:58 PM

welcome to tmf matey. you'll have great fun in a mini, but remember the realiability isnt the same as a honda, so be expecting to get your hands dirty.

places to look for rust : erm everywhere lol, especially around headlights, a-panels, windscreen, bottom of doors, sills, valances, inside boot, i could go on forever, look for crunching when changing down from 3rd to 2nd (common mini problem), i could go on.

#12 nosboy83

nosboy83

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:38 PM

thats o.k im looking to get my hands dirty on a car you dont need a degree in rocket science to work on :grin:

#13 Foxy Mini

Foxy Mini

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Local Club: East Coast Mini Club

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:37 AM

Welcome to TMF :cry:

Enjoy!

#14 wobbit

wobbit