#1 nickpad

nickpad

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:46 PM

Hello everybody- great site
I have purchased a 1996 Mini Cooper & I need to change it's brake discs & pads. First of all can anyone tell me the standard replacement size for these & are there any recommended sites to buy these from?
My next question, is it an easy task to replace these & is there a guide on this forum (I am completely new). My local garage seemed to be charching a lot for this & several other small maintenance tasks.

Any help appreciated
Nickpad :

#2 wolfie

wolfie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:12 PM

Discs are 8.4 and easly changed with small amount of mechanical knowledge, you will need a good socket set and torque wrench if you dont have these then i would not bother

my recomendation for discs and pads are as follows bare in mind they are performance parts but imho well worth fitting if you like the twisties

discs: pagid
pads: mintex (ctech) 1144

#3 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:37 PM

EBC greenstuff pads, ive used these and they are really good!

#4 Steve@RetroDash

Steve@RetroDash

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:57 PM

greenstuff are having problems at the mo with rapid pad wear and even decintigration.
shouldn't be long before they correct them though.
just a warning

#5 wolfie

wolfie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 07:27 PM

ive used green stuff and imho there C**p!

#6 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:48 PM

I'd go with Wolfie. I've not got Pagid on my mini at the moment (it has a missing front end and engine!), but I've used them on my other cars, and highly reccomend them (they'll also be going on the mini when it's that time!)

The discs are self explanatory, and for the pads, go for a good fast road pad, or a rally pad (not race). Race pads on a road car are a little iffy until they warm up properly (which is not good around town), although on a good back road run, they are fantastic!

Oh, the discs you need are 8.4" non-vented (or solid depending on how your chosen vendor phrases it!)

#7 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:18 PM

gen rover pads and brembo discs and u wont go wrong, and change the brake fuild and flexy hoses

dave

#8 Don't Panic

Don't Panic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 12:21 AM

good tip: If you decide to change these yourself (which I recommend, Theres a guide in the TMF cd 'PLUG' :tongue: and its a good way to learn) Get a friend to help you, particularly if you know someone with a torque wrench. You can also take it to your local kwik-fit when your done for a FREE brake check :cheese:

Edit: acctually that guide is here http://www.theminifo...?showtopic=9930

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users