Photo
- - - - -

mini question from a maybe soon to be mini owner..

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dandubi

dandubi

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 01:45 PM

hi, all im dan and im from south england, and am new to these forums and looking to purchase my first mini!

i am looking into buying a mini with a friend as a sort of project to do and have found one but it has a few problems and was just wondering if i could seek help on these problems before i purchase the car?

the owner has said the window wipers have recently stopped working, he doesnt have much clue on what is the problem which is casuing the fault.

is this a costy problem to fix and put right? wht could be the worse case scenario?

the radio also doesnt work could this be linked in with the wiper problem....
the light doesnt come on when the doors are open this is due to broken wire.

the passenger window comes down but is a struggle to get back into place but will reset with a helping hand.

i had a quick look at it last nite but where it was dark didnt take into too much detail on the rest of the car as its only down the road i will take a look at it during the light so can get a good look around.

can anyone advise me on some mini problem areas to look at to check the car is ok ?

its done 50k roughly and starts first time every time h reg.

thanks and a happy new year to all.

:cry:

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 01 January 2006 - 01:48 PM

rust is the main thing to look for every thing else can be fixed cheaply :cheese:

#3 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 01 January 2006 - 01:53 PM

Sounds like a fuse, nothing to worry about even if it isn't.

As for what else to look for, do a search and you should find the mini buying guide.

#4 dandubi

dandubi

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 01:57 PM

rust is the main thing to look for every thing else can be fixed cheaply :cheese:

theres some slight rust on the drivers door at the bottom but thts all i can see on the outside i will have a more detailed search later, reason for sale is due to new job and company car along with lack of space to keep it.

#5 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 01 January 2006 - 02:04 PM

Can you weld or have access to someone who can? If so then you shoul dbe ok so long as the car isn't an absolute rotter.

Check for rust around the headlights, indicators, bumpers, wing to front panel join, skuttle below the windscreen, A panels, door skins and frames (have a look under the door too), door steps, A pillars, inner sills, outer siills, foot wells, rear seat base corners, rear pocket floors, rear heal board under the rear seat, boot floor - take the spare wheel out, roof gutters, rear valanve, boot hinge panel and any other bits you spot!

Also check the rear subframe, give it a good poking with a screwdriver to see if it is rotten.

#6 dandubi

dandubi

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 02:07 PM

ok will do thanks for the help!

:cry:

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 01 January 2006 - 02:08 PM

Q. the owner has said the window wipers have recently stopped working, he doesnt have much clue on what is the problem which is casuing the fault.

Not a problem, at worst it will require a new motor which can be picked up for a few pounds..

Q, the radio also doesnt work could this be linked in with the wiper problem....
the light doesnt come on when the doors are open this is due to broken wire.

Possibly, could just be the fuse, but wouldn't worry about it... what's a radio anyway :cry:

Q. the passenger window comes down but is a struggle to get back into place but will reset with a helping hand.

Sounds like one of the runners on the bottom of the window has parted company, that's just a matter of taking the window out and reseating it, or replacing...

There's an FAQ on what to look for but here's a few tips..

1. Inner and outer sills, take a small punch, cold chiesel or somthing like that, and dont be afraid to give them a good tap all the way along, it should sound solid, any rust falling will need attantion...

2. Scuttle panel where is joins to the a panel, signs of bubbling under the paint are an indication that the closing panels (under the scuttle) have rotted, and is a fairly major repair when done properly. also take a small fridge magnet, if it's paint over metal then it will stick, if not then it's filler, indicative of a bodge..

3. Boot floor around bottom of wheel arches, and rear seam (which the bumper connects to) very commonly show rust, and especially in the corners under the lights.

If you can remove one of the air vents, and inspect the top of the fitch (inner wing) from the inside, this should be clean and paint intack, rust is the result of rot comming in from the outside ( goes along with the scuttle damage )

one final one, check the floor pan in the foot wells and the joint with the inner wing. Cars which have been sat generally end up with a puddle of water in them and that cause rot from the inside out.

Mechanically, most things are not expensive to replace, even down to engines gearboxes and suspension..

#8 Lund

Lund

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 03:32 PM

:saywhat: You call those problems!!! :saywhat:

:tongue: Just joking :thumbsup:

#9 ashmeadant

ashmeadant

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:49 PM

i wouldnt worry too much about the rust along the bottom of the doors. Very common small mini problem :tongue: Also, i had the same problem with passenger window. I got a new window arm for a couple of quid from scrappy and it still doesnt work. I think I just havent squeezed window with it hard enough. Easy job, but mite take some time. but you wanted it as a project am i wrong? pm me as im in felpham. cheers!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users