53 replies to this topic

#46 charlietuffery

charlietuffery

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:57 PM

The other consideration is they create a weaker structure. The original sill forms a strong box section but with the over sill being welded under the floor it creates a much bigger box section that can be less stiff
Quick drawing
Posted Image

Good debate this, there has always been reasons for using both i guess, but depends if its short or long term you're looking for, one quick question i have is ; When you remove the oversills as i'm planning to do, is there any structural work that needs to be done before you can weld on the original outersills ? For example: Grinding any areas off the angled section off that the oversill covers, but outersill doesn't.

#47 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

You are talking about the inner sill and that NEEDS to be complete and sound. Like this
Posted Image
Also check out the state of the jacking point as well. While you are at it i would suggest lubricating the rear subframe mounting bolts.

#48 chrisdeakin

chrisdeakin

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

Basically of you want to pay alot of money replacing alot of metal , get oversills on asap

#49 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

Basically of you want to pay alot of money replacing alot of metal , get oversills on asap

??????

#50 steven

steven

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

hi im new to the hole mini thing and i brought oversills for my mini after reading this i think i will be putting original sills back on thanks

#51 chrisdeakin

chrisdeakin

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

??????

Sorry was a pain to put , my keyboard had changed to Dutch so it auto corrected everything so I may of missed bits, but basically was just saying if you want to end up with a lot of rusted metal to replace then put on over sills, if not then put on originals

#52 stretters

stretters

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Local Club: Ipswich MOC, AMC, CMC, MCR.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

I brought a pair of oversills to use on my old project as the were cheap, but had every intention of cutting them down to look like standard sills.

The other option I have seen on a rally car was the complete oversill was used and plug welded at the point the inner sill meets the outer, it was then seam welded along the outmost edges and holes drilled for drainage in the dimpled sections.

This may not last the test of time, but at least it privided a solid mount for the roll cage should it be tested!

#53 Hewlett_T

Hewlett_T

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:57 PM

Just found this thread and out of curiosity had a look, and it has oversills and the undersal/wax oil on the car is so thick I suspect its hiding something.

I can't weld and a lot of body work is needed on the car explaining all this to a standard body shop is going to be hell.

If anyone knows a body shop in Bristol who knows enough to make explaining a multitude of problems on this car to them easier and they put it right. Please let me know, as I don't want to take it to a shop and it comes back out with new oversills :/.

P.S: Sorry for the thread bump, I forgot to check the date.

Edited by Hewlett_T, 20 February 2016 - 03:01 PM.

#54 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:08 PM

I bought a Mk.1 restoration project a couple of years ago with an alleged 'restored' shell.

It had what looked like excellent sills, but they were over-sills. This is what it was like underneath:

Green850_zps76f1db49.jpg

And here is the M-Machine inner & outer sub-assembly as received from M-Machine and ready to be fitted:

Green850-6_zps3667a60d.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users