4 replies to this topic

#1 robertw

robertw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:40 PM

happy more beer!! I am looking at retrimming(when i get them here lol) some bolstered mini seats...kewlbeans eh?

I have requested some leather swabs or samples in old pence in black,red, and a magnolia

I think I will be doing the seats in black and magnolia but felt i would nose at the red anyways lol...just wondered how much I would have to order when it comes to it, does anyone know? 2-3 hides? the material is sold per sq foot...and im hoping its say 6-8 sq ft per hide?

Can anyone or all of you give me some info on trimming, no matter how big or small lol...unpick std material and make templates? will the leather have some kinda give in it like the material? are these seats like rover 600 seats and the material all unclips? failing this...any guys on here fledged trimmers?

#2 robertw

robertw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 04:44 PM

erm thanks for the input so far lol :thumbsup:

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 02 January 2006 - 04:50 PM

sorry but not anything i know about :thumbsup:

#4 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 05:42 PM

You're spot on with the "pick it apart and make templates" thing. Make sure you get the main shape of the seat right. Any excess can be taken up when you get to clipping it to the hidden areas. If in doubt, leave an inch or so of excess and trial fit constantly. Use some paper templates, and then if you get things wrong, you can always modify them to put it right.

You'll need a good sewing machine for leather too. It's harder than you may think!

It's difficult to say how many hides you'll need without picturing where you're doing the two-tone split. I would hazard a guess that you'll need one hide for the main colour of the rear seats, another for the main colour on the fronts, and a third of the contrasting colour for the other parts. It's also difficult to say without knowing the quality of the hides. They vary a lot, and accordingly, if you get a cheaper hide, you can end up throwing a lot of it out due to bad colouring or thinning. If possible, go to the suppliers an pick it out for yourself (don't buy it over the phone). All this of course is assuming you get it right first time.......

Honestly, I'd get a few quotes from some trimmers first as it is a hell of a lot of work, and you will need some decent equipment (not just mum's old singer and a wallpaper stripper!)

Oh, almost forgot, You'll also need some thin foam sheeting to get into the pads.

#5 robertw

robertw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:03 PM

sounds like its worth a go then...I have requested some samples of leather from one supplier...however i will not be ordering until i have some fronts to trim...I know i will need a decent machine :dontgetit: ebay it is then i guess lol! brian at work was an upholsterer many moons ago...going to try use him and abuse him i think

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users